4/13/20

Sewing for Chicken Feed

It was a busy day yesterday. I spent the morning in the kitchen cooking up our Easter mini-feast. After lunch, I was able to make it into the sewing room to finish up the second quilt in my "trashy" series. The center portion was already sewn together. I had in mind to sew four borders to bring it up to a nice snuggle quilt size. First, I found the same off-white solid used in the nine-patch blocks and made a narrow border from that. The red and black print was used in a table runner some years back. I'll use it for the binding on this quilt too.


Then I added one more narrow off-white border. For the final border, I found this chicken fabric in my stash. It was purchased on the day I toured the quilt shops of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, with my friend Robin.


With the addition of the chickens, the quilt measures 46 x 54 inches. I've decided to call this quilt "Chicken Feed." I tried pulling something from my stash for the back, but didn't really like any of the choices. So, I went on Fabric.com and found this one called Chicken Feed, and that seems just perfect.


The confirmation email from them says they won't ship until around May 12th. It was interesting how far out they are with their orders. That's fine with me, I won't be ready to sandwich this quilt until I've finished all the current quilts on the quilts-to-be-quilted pile. 

There were no kitty helpers in the sewing room yesterday. They were too busy out on their catio enjoying the sunshine. I tapped on the window to get Smitty to look in my direction, which explains all the spots on the glass. Kind of looks like I put one of those filters over him to demonstrate his sparkling personality.


We were ready for dinner by that time. We started with our deviled Easter eggs.



And then moved on to the main courses. This was a pretty easy dinner. It was a Flame Craft ham, and so I just heated it up. The beans were cooked all day in my slow cooker. The coleslaw was from one of the bagged mixes.


We kept it pretty low-key, but we enjoyed every bite.

Today is the day I set aside to begin quilting the Pansy Mosaic. Since it sat folded for months in the quilts-to-be-quilted pile. I've been giving it a period of relaxation draped over my sewing chair. By now, it should be rested up enough for its acupuncture treatment.


I haven't done anything in the garden for several days, and so I want to get out and start cleaning up the culinary herb garden this morning. Our weather continues to be beautiful, and so I'll get out and enjoy it while I can.

10 comments:

Julierose said...

Love that chicken fabric and the chicken feed is just right, too.
We also had ham and beans on Easter...
Stay safe...~ ~ ~ Julierose

Sharon said...

That doesn’t look like trash to me, it is a great quilt with a cute name! You have an amazing stash, love it.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

The red, white & black quilt looks great.

Anonymous said...

I love love you trash top. And the acupuncture analogy for quilting. You made by day with a good laugh

quiltzyx said...

The quilt looks great! And what a fun backing too. :)

And now I have finally caught up on Cat Patches - woohooo!!!

I might have to go home & hard boil some eggs so I can make some deviled eggs....

SJSM said...

You are moving along. Nice to see you so productive. Your rain is in Southern California. I saw on the weather LA has 3 ½ " of rain to you just over 1”. Our weather has finally turned to beautiful sunny days where no jacket is needed. Rain is expected next week but the storms get fewer and rainfall less abundant.

Finished my masks and will do a little cleanup housework before hitting the sewing room. Also exercise is now on the list. A lot of walking the last few days. Getting 10k steps or better most days. Looking forward to a different schedule.

piecefulwendy said...

There are few things more satisfying than when a scrap quilt project comes together just the way you like it. Chicken Feed is just delightful. The backing is perfect too. I love deviled eggs, and yours look very tasty. Looks like a delicious meal all around. Looking forward to seeing how you quilt Pansy Mosaic.

Robin said...

I had a wonderful time shopping in PA with you that day Barbara. We had such fun! I love your blog and quilts and of course, cats. It's always a pleasure to see what you're working on next!

Claire said...

Nice to have a bona fide reason to delay quilting. VBG

On the small photo on IG I though the final border was popcorn. Chickens with their bit of red makes more sense.

QuiltGranma said...

"waiting for its acupuncture treatment" … LOVE IT!