4/14/20

Pansy Quilting

Most of yesterday was devoted to quilting the Pansy Mosaic quilt. Earlier, I'd been in the garden. We were all outside, and so we decided to let the kitties roam around for a while. They were excited to get outside together, and then came in when requested. It was a good outing for all.

Mike has been feeling good enough to be outside and spraying weeds. My goal was to weed a patch where the calla lily bulb was planted. It was originally purchased post-bloom in the grocery store for $1. We planted the bulb and were surprised when it came up and bloomed last summer...so pretty, and such a nice surprise.


We lost track of it after it bloomed last year. There's a star lily planted nearby as well, and so I weeded a large patch all around the area where I thought they were planted. In the process, one of them showed itself. I think this might be the star lily.


When it bloomed last year, it looked like this. It's another orphan from the grocery store.


Other blooming things in the garden include the star magnolia, which is covered is pretty white flowers now.


You wouldn't know it from this next image, but I cleaned out the whiskey barrel where the mint is growing. This year's crop of mint is showing itself now.


Both cherry trees are blooming in profusion now.


And more tulips are showing their color.


Back inside, I was ready to start quilting the Pansy Mosaic. I'd decided on a variegated purple thread. Since I already had a partially wound bobbin of this one, I decided to use it for the bottom thread.


On top, I have several spools of this variegated purple, gifts from my quilting fairy godmother, Ila. Thank you, Ila.


Once I had the tension adjusted properly, I put the needle down to start with the yellow pansy.


About that time, my quilting snoopervisor showed up.

Excuse me...there is a purroblem downstairs with the condition of my treat bowl.


I'm furrly certain whatever you're doing here can wait until my impurrtant needs are met.



So, in order to proceed, I first had to take care of the cat, and then I was on my way. I wanted to stitch "veins" in the pansy petals.


When it was finished it looked like this...not exactly like a pansy, but good enough.


For the sky portions, I stitched a windy, swirly motif.


The borders were stitched with a fairly simple vine.


It was nearing the end of the day by then, and so I'd planned to stop when I made it all the way around the border. The bobbin thread ran out when I had about eight inches to go. Of course it did.


So I finished that up, and then took it downstairs to have a look. Of course, every quilt must first be subjected to a snuggleability inspection.


It isn't finished since I still need to quilt the green leaf sections. Smitty gave his tentative appurroval for me to purrceed this morning.


Here's how it looks so far, although it's pretty hard to see anything.


Here's another picture of the yellow pansy. All the pansies were stitched the same.


Here's how it looks from the back, and again, it's hard to see much of anything.


All that's left now are the green leaves. I'll switch to a green thread for that, but leave the same variegated purple in the bottom. It shouldn't take long to finish it off, and then I'll be ready to sew the binding on.

Today I'll need to do some laundry and some housework, but I expect to have this one ready for hand-sewing the binding by day's end.

10 comments:

Cathy Smith said...

The swirly sky quilting is striking! Especially with the little white flecks in the fabric itself. It's turning out cute as can be!

Julierose said...

Beautiful quilting work on your Pansy...so pretty...
Take care Julierose

quiltzyx said...

Another fine job you've done! I love the backing fabric you used on the Pansy!

Say, has Smitty lost some weight since you've been home again? He is looking like a mighty fine hunka mancat!!

DeeDee said...

What gorgeous flowers! I had calla lilies at my wedding. Your free motion quilting is just gorgeous! So impressive. Hope everyone is staying well. It sounds like Mike is on the mend? That's great news!

kc said...

Maybe my most favorite one ever! I'm looking for an easy motif for my Labyrinth quilts, I think you showed me the way, once again! Thank you! Handsome boy there, and Beautiful rescues!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

What pretty flowers you have coming up in the garden--I do miss living up north where these kinds of flowers show up in the spring--
and then look at those beautiful pansies--pansies are one of my favorite flowers and you are doing a lovely job on quilting them--
luv, di
hugs to the kitties

piecefulwendy said...

Good to hear that Mike is feeling better. All of your blooming things are just lovely. I'm waiting for some blooming things here, and green. So tired of snow and brown and drab. This morning it's grocery shopping. Not looking forward to it, at all. I'll need time in the quilt room later today, likely after a nap. The pansy quilt is one of my favorites, and it's looking really good!

Beth said...

That is so pretty! And hooray for you, for another nearly-finished quilt.
I'm especially glad to hear that Mike is making steady progress. Good to be home while he does it, I'm sure. John and I were just saying how thankful we are to be under stay at home orders out here in the country, rather than in someplace more confining. When we get "cabin fever", we take a walk in a space we know is controlled because we control it, and remind ourselves how happy we would be if we found this spot if we were out exploring. The dogs are glad we are in a place where they can stretch their legs and get their wiggles out, too.

crazy quilter said...

Perfect! I am so happy it was approved by himself. Lol

QuiltGranma said...

Since I love pansies, I love this quilt! Sew pretty!