4/12/20

Happy Easter, Everybody!


Happy Easter Morning, my friends. We're having a quiet quarantined Easter here at the Three Cats Ranch. It will be just the three people who currently live here along with a spiral-sliced ham, maple baked beans, coleslaw, and deviled Easter eggs. Here's a picture of the deviled Easter eggs I made several years ago. They're kind of fun. You can read how to do this right here. My only addition to the instructions is to be sure to remove all the membrane when you peel the eggs so you don't end up with white spots.


So, yeah...a small and quiet Easter feast.

Yesterday, I started my sewing day with a mending project. You might remember this hoodie Matthew brought back from his trip to Guatemala last year.


Those woven fabrics tend to fray apart, and the hood on his hoodie had separated from the rest of the jacket in one spot. He asked me if I could fix it. And, as a mom, how do you say no to that? So I trimmed it up and gave it a liberal application of fray check.


Looking through my smallest scraps, I had a perfectly-sized piece of homespun used when I made the Quiltemala quilt. This one:


I was actually kind of surprised to find this piece because I thought I'd used of every last scrap in the making of that quilt.


So, I just folded over the short ends, and then folded the rest like a quilt binding, and then shored up that frayed edge before sewing the hood back to the main part of the jacket. It worked out great.


Then I gave Matthew stern instructions to only wash this on gentle cycle. That didn't take long.

Now...do you want to see something scary?


Yeah...that was my cat walking around on my carefully placed scraps, awaiting their turn to be sewn together. Fortunately, he's not like Sadie who would have needed to rearrange things. Smitty is more of an admirer...not a designer.

There was just enough of that red and black polkadot fabric to make some setting triangles. Sewing all of this together took up the rest of my sewing day.


If there's time for sewing today, I'm going to add four borders to this to bring it up to snuggle quilt size. As it stands, it is 22 x 30 inches. I've already calculated how much fabric I'll need, and I have some cute ones for finishing it off.

You might remember I had bread dough rising downstairs when I wrote yesterday's post. Late in the afternoon, it was ready for baking, and look how pretty this turned out.


It's a Sourdough Cinnamon Raisin Bread. I'm linking to the recipe with the caveat that I made a few changes. When I made this the first time, the oven was too hot, and so I've reduced all the oven temperatures listed in the recipe by 25°F. The other change I made was to reduce the amount of water to 300g. The dough was very wet the first time I made it, and difficult to work with. By reducing the water and folding the dough throughout the day, I ended up with a nice elastic dough that baked off beautifully. Here's how it looks on the inside.


It's delicious, sweetened with a little maple syrup and the raisins, and made with whole wheat flour, it's a relatively healthy bread too. We had it along with the tortellini soup Matthew made for dinner.


So that was a nice way to end a productive day. Later, we all settled in to watch the last of Ozark...a program we've been binge-watching. Yikes! Surprising ending!

Obviously, today I'm doing some cooking, and I need to get out and clean up my culinary herb garden today. Once that's finished, I'll get back to sewing the scrap quilt together. I need to finish it off because I'm going to leave it to start quilting the Pansy Mosaic tomorrow.

16 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Happy Easter! I like the black, white and red quilt.

Julierose said...

HAPPY EASTER TO YOU ALL....~ ~~ ~ julierose;)))

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Happy Easter to you and yours--
and a great meal together--
don't forget to give the 'kitties' an extra Easter treat--
luv, di
ps--love that new quilt top--
black white and red are always eye popping combo's!!!

Cathy Smith said...

Happy Easter to the entire clan! Looks like some mighty fine eats to celebrate the day!

Paula said...

Love the red, white and black quilt. Thanks for sharing the Easter Deviled eggs. They look like fun! Next year. Happy Easter.

Sally Trude said...

Congratulations on adding such an adorable kitten to Three Cat Ranch. Given how much Smitty likes to eat grass, he won’t mind being put out to pasture (metaphorically) by such youth and beauty.

Respectfully,

Molly Kittn

Sandra W said...

All of your food looks yummy.
We are having Indian takeout.
We just finished Ozark as well.I 've really enjoyed the last episodes as they were more criminal. I thought that sometimes it looked they were just playing at being criminals and it was a bit innocent. But now it's getting exciting.
We are now watching the new season of Blood. That's on Acorn--British tv.
A neighbour dropped off some bananas, a bag of potato chip, and some mandarins. YUM.
Happy Easter. Strange, isn't it.
A friend of mine posted an Easter dinner photo of her and her husband. The vacant chairs were filled with
various teddy bears with their own place settings, in place of her family and grandkids. It ws a hoot. I'll try to send it to you. I think you would enjoy it.

Vicki W said...

You're a good Mom! I'm loving the B/W/R quilt. The red border triangles are perfect!

djquilting said...

I love this quilt. Happy Easter.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I can't believe I have been away from my blog list for so many days. Just catching up on what you are up too. I'm following the place you linked to for info on pastel eggs. Since we'll be living with our grands now I saw so much there to make kids eyes light up. The question I have is don't the egg whites pick up a hint of the vinegar used to tint them? Your kitties are great help in the sewing room. My little dog just sneaks in to find something to chew up, mostly dangerous things like razor letter openers and pin cushions. Guess I'll have to learn to close the door. Looks like you had a good Easter.
xx, Carol

Linda said...

Happy Easter to you too! I like the blocks set on point for your quilt and especially love the red polka dot setting triangles. That is one fine looking loaf of bread. We need to catch up on Ozark but will have to re-watch a few because we've forgotten what is going on.

piecefulwendy said...

All of your food looks like it was very tasty. I've been making more bread, and I weighed myself this morning. Ugh. So, I'm going to ignore that (kinda) and try to motivate myself to sew something (not masks) today. I have my oldest UFO (vintage, anyone) to finish with binding, but first step is to decide what to bind it with. It's queen-ish sized, so we shall see what I have in my stash.

Lyndsey said...

A belated Happy Easter. the little mini is so cute. A great idea to scale it up with some borders. The bread looks very good. I've been indulging in bread making but here there is a bread flour shortage at the moment and I only have enough flour for a couple more loaves.

Californianativedaughter said...

Belated Happy Easter. It's feels unusual to have just two for Easter. BTW, Fray Check is my best friend, check every garment I buy.

Claire said...

The red with black dot is so perfect for the setting triangles. Glad you eeked out enough.

quiltzyx said...

Oh so productive! Wow!
I think my biggest task was making a sandwich over the weekend...