2/7/20

More Sewing

The day was fairly routine yesterday...the kind of day we'd have if we were back home. Mike was working on his projects. His list started out with about 18 projects, and he's down to the final two. I told him he needed to add an item to his list: "Think of new projects to do." Part of the reason he started the trip with so many projects is that some of them required dry weather. We've joked that we'll have to drive south each year just so he can finish his projects. Imagine the quilts I could finish if he'd just take up sewing.

Part of our routine seems to be kitty sunbathing. Sometimes they both use the window perches, but variety is the spice of life, don't you know. Yesterday Sadie decided to take her sunbath in the bedroom window.


Smitty kept to his window perch.


My first task was to stitch up the day's inchy.


I'm kind of curious to see what the next one will be since the square was left completely blank. If I had to guess, I'd say we're going to skip over the next one and sew a button on later. The one beside it has some stitching to do. I traced mine incorrectly, and so I might have to do some fancy stitch work to make it right.

After that, I got a start on the fifth Snowflake. The darkest aqua sections are all stitched now, and I'll move on to the medium color.


And then it was time to get going on the machine sewing, put off from the day before. The first step was to sew on the narrow stop border. Mine finishes at a half-inch. I'll use the same rainbow fabric for the binding.


After that...the outer border was sewn on, and that made a finished flimsy. Yay!


That's my goal for February's

so I'll link up to the party at the end of the month.

Next up...this gallon zip-lock bag of bonus triangles collected for the past several years.


The last time I made something with bonus triangles, it was this kitty quilt finished up in March of 2017. I just noticed it uses the same rainbow fabric for a flange and binding.


I'm guessing I've been collecting the bag above since then. I don't have a plan for them...they are different sizes and colors, and so I'll just start sewing them together and see what comes of it.

It's been quite a tease for the kitties to get a bird's eye view of the hummers. We had to be stern with them at first so they wouldn't try jumping through the window.


They seem to have accepted that the birds are not within their reach. We pulled down the sunscreen on the bird side of the window, which creates a sort of barrier. Even with the sunscreen up, they're mostly watching now. They gave up on jumping. Now that we have them trained, we've decided to try a suction cup seed feeder. It occurred to me that I could keep a small bag of bird seed in the freezer to avoid problems with bugs. It's been fun watching the hummingbirds. I'm hoping the bird seed will attract some of the other birds from the area. Both should be delivered today or tomorrow, and so I'll have more news on the bird front soon.

Today should be another sewing day, but we're gearing up to meet Erik and Mae on Sunday. They're flying into Las Vegas, and we'll meet them there for a brunch, and then we'll drive the Red Rock Canyon Loop. Red Rock Canyon was Erik's idea. Mike and I have never been, and so that should be fun. We also have a cookout planned for their first night here. At some point, we'll take a drive over to Death Valley. They've never been to Death Valley, and so we're looking forward to doing some sight-seeing with them. I'm kind of hoping some wildflowers will have bloomed by now, but it might be too early. Either way, I'm excited to see the kids, and I'm glad they decided to come down.

So there's still lots on the agenda before we say good-bye to Pahrump. I expect I'll get in one more day of sewing today, but after that, we'll be doing more sight-seeing.

8 comments:

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I think you might have to stay there now--forever--so that the hummers can eat!!! I am keeping up with the stitch along-too--will try to do a photo of mine so far tomorrow and post it Sat or Sunday--
went to a quilt show this morning--or should I say--tried to go--it was $10 to get in--so--didn't go in--would rather spend it on fabric that I need than to just look at fabric!!! bummer really--thought it was free--they had a good crowd, but others where leaving too when they seen the price to get in!!!
Have fun with the kids, fur babies and human ones!!
luv, di

Della said...

I have noticed that the cats have quilts to lounge on and was wondering if you make quilts just for them or just give them any old quilt? I want too come back in my second life as one of your cats. lol

piecefulwendy said...

Maybe you'll have hummers in your wake, following you as you drive on your way -- they'll be wanting nectar once you get to the next stop. Enjoy your time with Erik & Mae, you have some fun things planned! Your Tiny Tuesday flimsy turned out very nice!

quiltzyx said...

I hope you get to see Jackson the burro at Red Rock Canyon! Enjoy your time with Mae & Erik.

We have a cat at work now - his name is Sentra as he rode into the yard as a passenger in the engine compartment of a Sentra! He's small, several months old, white & gray & (literally) oil colored. He hangs out with Luis in our shop and follows Luis around like a woofie! Next time he comes visiting the office, I will try to get some pics of him.

scraphappy said...

The rainbow fabric was a great addition to both of your quilts. Congratulations on your progress this week.

Susie H said...

My kitty loves her window perch too, lazily catching any and all rays of sun. I've got a bird feeder stuck on the window too and she loves tapping the glass and making the birds fly away. She has learned that she can't get them but she can make them fly! Your TT quilt looks fabulous. Have a great week sightseeing. Enjoy those kids!!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That rainbow stop border on your Tiny Tuesday quilt is the cat's meow!!!

Patty said...

Looks wonderful. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.