11/30/19

Whole-Hearted

How's your clean-up process going? It took us all morning, but we finally had everything put away around lunch time. Even the tablecloth and napkins are laundered and folded, although I'll admit they aren't put away yet. Thanksgiving came late in the month this year, and so I spent some time putting out all the Christmas quilts yesterday. You can see them on this Handmade Christmas post from last year. The only new one not included there is this whole cloth Poinsettia, made as a free motion quilting challenge from Lori Kennedy. I really like this little table topper.


The center and the border around the outside were quilted using a white metallic thread. For the interior, I used a variegated red. My favorite poinsettia batik was used on the back and for the binding. Here's how that looks.


We don't have a tree up yet, and we'll probably just get a tiny tree at the grocery store. Since we're heading south pretty soon after Christmas, I really don't want to drag all that stuff out and make more work right before our departure.

So then, it seemed like a good time to get back to the Hearts A-Plenty quilt. Smitty was excited to see this finished quilt top.


Sadie too. Sadie loves all the quilts, but she especially likes quilts about hearts and love.


There were four more paper-pieced hearts to finish (11 pieces each) in order to finish the sashing for the final row of embroidered hearts. And there is the finished quilt top. It measures 24 x 34 inches.


There was enough of the heart fabric to make a quilt back, and so this quilt is covered front and back with hearts of one kind or another.

There's just one housekeeping chore on the agenda today. I thought I might be sandwiching quilts today, but Mike needs to do some work in the garage. I'll hold off until tomorrow on that. That leaves today's sewing up for grabs. Probably I'll catch up on some of the quilt blocks for other projects I've been neglecting. The next couple of weeks will be spent quilting Semper Fi, and so I don't want to start on anything that can't be finished in an hour or two.

How are your Christmas preparations going? Any handmade Christmas projects on your list?

7 comments:

heartsease54 said...

Both of my Christmas presents that are sewn are done-finished them this past week. They are 2 quilt as you go tabletoppers for two of my sisters. They turned out really cute and were very fast to do. Kits from Shabby Fabrics for these made them so quick, otherwise I would have spent just a week picking out fabric! Your heart quilt came together really fast too and is very cute. Of course I didn't have any cooking to do either, I'm always a hunting widow over Thanksgiving.

quiltzyx said...

It's good to see your Poinsettia whole cloth quilt again - it looks wonderful!

The heart quilt looks great all put together!

Since I now have a working kitchen sink (thanks to my friend Jim!), maybe I will actually cook something tonight - soup sounds good. It's been chilly down here finally!

Lyndsey said...

I love the little whole cloth poinsettia and the heart quilt is so cute. Christmas preparations are quite slow around here. We don't decorate until after my birthday on the 8th. I've got the advent calendar out and the sweets to put in it and I.ll sort that in the morning.

Ann said...

Thanks for posting all the gorgeous pictures of Sadie and Smitty. I can't get enough of them. I love all the things handmade at Christmas. Today I'm working on one of the table runners that I have been planning and collecting fabric for all year.

SJSM said...

What a nice tradition to see all of your Christmas quilts each year. It’s like opening a memory box. You made quick work getting your hearts a plenty flimsy made.

I finished the dress just in time for our trip to Yosemite. It looks quite fitted but feels like secret pajamas. I will accessorize it to keep the comfortable feel but look upscale. What a win/win! I’m looking forward to the wine dinner and Yosemite ready for winter.

Christmas gifts will be vegetable bags with no-see-um netting and a friend is coming to make waxed fabric cheese wraps. She uses bees wax to coat the fabric some how then edges the fabric on a serger. She needs to learn how to use her serger so that’s why she is coming. Bonus for me is the waxed fabric to make my own cheese wraps! That will be next Friday.

piecefulwendy said...

The runner I just finished will be gifted. Other than that, I don't know that I'll make many gifts this year. I'm very close to done with shopping (or so I think). Hope you have a good day of sewing.

QuiltGranma said...

What a beautiful quilt, with beautiful furrrrrkids posing. They are quite furrrtogenic. I've been working on some little tree table toppers, using the tri-recs ruler set. The second pair came out with good points! Just need to decide on border fabric then I can get the little tops done. YEA!