12/1/19

A Day as Good as Any

Yesterday was a day as good as any to do some refrigerator clean out and to make some turkey stock. I pulled the meat from the bones of the turkey carcass, and then went scrounging in the refrigerator for any dead vegetables. I came out with some leeks, celeriac (aka celery root), carrots, and a turnip. Then I trekked out to the culinary herb garden for some fresh rosemary, thyme, and sage. Within about half an hour, the house was smelling so nice and cozy.


I let that simmer for several hours while I did some work in the sewing room. Briefly, I considered making the next blocks for the Garden Sunshine quilt. It seemed like too much effort though, and so I decided it was a day as good as any to start kitting up the sewing projects I want to take south with me. I've had this 20 in 2020 dialog going on in my head. I have some 20 in 2020 goals formulating, one of which is to lose 20 pounds in 2020. But let's just not talk about that for now, okay?

Another 20 in 2020 is to finish off 20 quilts. If that is to happen, then I need to be taking along some projects for finishing. At the top of the list is to quilt the Pumpkin Pie quilt. You probably forgot all about this, didn't you? It was sandwiched with the last round of quilt sandwiches, but it's been sitting at the bottom of the quilts to be quilted pile ever since. It's a small quilt, and so it's a good take-along project, easily quilted on my travel machine, Pfelicity Pfaff. The binding strips are cut as well, and so this could be my first finish of 2020.


Also on the  list is this gallon zip-lock bag of bonus triangles. They don't match, and they are all different sizes, but I figure I'll start sewing them into half square triangles and go from there. Also, I printed off this Arrow Baby Quilt I saw online. I don't know if this is what I'll do with my HST's, but it's a place to start. I can let my imagination fill in the blanks.


Here's another one you probably forgot all about. Farm Fresh Eggs needs to be sewn into a finished quilt top, and then it will be small enough to quilt on the road as well.


Oh yes...and all these Tiny Tuesday blocks. I have some leftover background fabric, and I stuffed in this rainbow fabric...a long-time resident in my stash. I'm thinking this is a rainbow project, and so maybe I can make something "rainbow" with the blocks.


Someone recently reminded me about some panels I've collected. Some were gifted, some were purchased. They'll make easy take-along projects. I have these three cat panels...so cute. I've paired them up with some fabrics in my stash. I might use the fabrics, and I might not. Either way, I'm sure I'll find some quilt shops in our travels in case there's anything I need to supplement.


Also this one...it's an Amish panel, I picked up while my friend Robin and I visited quilt shops in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.


And this next panel was the first regional print I picked up when we started our USA perimeter trip in September of 2017. The quilt shop was in Whitehall, Montana, and it's included in the Shop Hop quilt. There's plenty left over, and I want to do something with it.


So that should keep me busy enough while we're traveling. All of this sorting and collecting took most of the afternoon. And, as a dash of reality, there's no way I'm going to finish all of those while we're traveling, but I don't want any sewing emergencies either. One should always take more sewing than one will need.

Meanwhile, the stock was bubbling away. By day's end, I had four quarts, plus a bonus that went into the refrigerator to be used for tonight's dinner.


The kitties were no help at all yesterday. The Thanksgiving festivities exhausted them. Sadie was busy fortifying herself with kitty treats this morning.

Geez...don't take my picture until I have a chance to brush my teefies. I refuse to look up.



Smitty helped me this morning while I was editing my pictures. He was distracted by the outdoors, however.


We received a light dusting of snow last night.


It won't be around for long. In fact, it's raining as I'm writing this, and the snow will be gone very soon. That's Oregon for you...at least on our side of the Cascade range.


I've been working hard on my stitchery. While I loved stitching the Twelve Trees for Christmas, they were more challenging and time-consuming than anticipated. It's nice to be back to a basic stem stitch, and it feels as if I'm speeding along.


Now I've moved the hoop to the right, and I'll pick it up there tomorrow.


This being Sunday, I'll be linking up to


On today's agenda is to sandwich some quilts. I have four to do. We'll be setting up the sawhorse tables in the garage, which is heated some...but I'll have to open the door when I spray baste. Better put on my winter woollies. That will probably take most of the day. If there's any time for sewing, I'll get to work catching up on the Garden Sunshine quilt.

6 comments:

Sandra W said...

I love your idea of 2020 goals. Your celebration looks like it was a big success. I loved the photo of you and Willy.
Where are you planning to go on your winter trip? Does anyone ever do the middle? I've been to a lot of the U.S. but there's more left to visit in the middle.
The heart quilt looks good and I have to say it wasn't initially one of my favorites. The embroidered Xmas trees are lovely. And I really like your red quilt.

quiltzyx said...

Kitting up those panels sounds like a good traveling sewing idea. And having all those other quilty bits to take too. Pfelicity Pfaff will be happy for the work, I'm sure!

We have quite a bit of snow in the local mountains right now. Down to 1500" or 2000" I think.

piecefulwendy said...

20 in 2020 seems a fun idea. I may have to give that some thought. Today I may go out and get some shopping done (am I nuts?). Hoping to be home to sew this afternoon. You have some good projects lined up!

Quilting Babcia said...

I'm almist afraid to write down 2020 goals, probably the first would be to just make it to 2020 with what little sanity remains. Looking into the closet where the flimsies simmer just makes me want to shut the door, quickly. That's a nice variety of projects to work on while you're away. Snowstorm here today, heavy very wet stuff that bogs down the snow blower.

QuiltGranma said...

When freezing leftovers I LOVE to freeze in the wide mouth pint canning jars. So much better than plastic. 20 in 2020... now that is quite a challenge. I imagine I have that many already started that sure could use a boost in the … er … sittin' down place! I'll have to think on that and get busy!

Denise :) said...

I love turkey soup...I didn't cook the turkey this year, so I didn't get to make any and it made me sad! LOL! Your cat panels are really cute; I have several of those, I do believe! Love your snow dusting pics, too -- I hope we get a little of that! Have you grabbed the snowflake patterns yet?! I can't wait to get started on number 11! :)