11/29/19

Christmas, You're Next

Another Thanksgiving for the record books...not that anyone is keeping any records. Our Thanksgiving is one for the record books if you're keeping track of the number of dirty dishes, pots, pans, and glasses still waiting in line for their turn in the dishwasher. Mike did a championship effort cleaning up last night, but the countertops are still stacked high. I'll get after it this morning at some point, but people are still sleeping.

Only one picture was taken of our meal...this one:


Moving diagonally from right to left, that's whole cranberry sauce. Next to that a green bean casserole on the order of the Campbell's soup variety, only this one is made from scratch. Above that, stuffing from the bird, and a platter of turkey, both fried and smoked. Above that mashed potatoes and Brussels sprouts. Above that and barely making the picture, sweet potatoes. Oh yes, and there are some jellied cranberries there too, because everyone knows it just isn't Thanksgiving without them. I regret not taking a picture of Mae's beautiful desserts. She made an apple tart with a phyllo dough crust. It was delicious. Also, she made a pumpkin cheesecake that was to die for. It all went off without a hitch.

Before anything got started yesterday, I started stitching Block #8 of the Appalachian Memories quilt. I like to start these where the quilt block is. The greatest part of the stitching is contained in this first hooping, and so when this part is finished, the block will be nearly finished.


Still a long way to go on that.

It was a chilly day yesterday, but bright and sunny. We discovered we had two big jugs of Kahlua, and so we declared a Spanish coffee emergency. I was hesitant, thinking it might make me want to take a nap on a day when I could ill afford napping. But then it sounded so appealing that I had to imbibe. And all was well...the coffee kept me alert and energized.


The camera got little usage yesterday...just too busy with other things. The kitties spent most of their time in the clubhouse since kitties abhor parties, noise, and lots of feet. Smitty joined us around dinner time, and they got their traditional chopped up turkey giblets.

We've seen a mixed bag with kitties and turkey giblets. One of our cats, Willy, loved Thanksgiving more than anything else. He was my constant companion on Thanksgiving day, just waiting for that wonderful moment when his plate of giblets was set down. Here's a picture of Willy. He liked to sit behind me and nuzzle my hair.


When he was a kitten, he ate so many giblets, he couldn't walk. His little kitten belly got so full he fell over with every step, like a drunken sailor. And I swear there was no alcohol in the giblets. Fast forward to this current cadre of critical cats (awesome alliteration), and you'll find two who turn up their noses at turkey giblets. No matter. I cook 'em up and serve 'em up every Thanksgiving. There's value in tradition.

Okay, so today I'll get back to cleaning up the mess, and then get back to the Hearts A-Plenty. Last seen, nine blocks were sewn together...three to go.


Also this weekend, we'll be setting up the sawhorse tables for sandwiching quilts. If Hearts A-Plenty is finished, I'll have four quilts to sandwich. My goal is to quilt and finish Semper Fi before Christmas. It's a tall order, but I'm pretty sure I can get it done.

8 comments:

QuiltShopGal said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Too funny about Willy eating so many giblets he'd fall over when he was a kitten. LOL, ROL. Beautiful cat.

Katie said...

That all looks so delicious, which I'm surprised it does considering all I ate yesterday! Willie sounds like a fun kitty and he looks like our Thanksgiving addition, Finn, who I will be sure to blog about soon!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Great looking spread on the table. My furkids wont touch giblets either - and I would just as not mess with them mysel. We did the mini turkey (roast chicken from the deli) with some small sides (also deli). One of the sewing gals dropped off a cherry pie with pint of vanilla ice cream for our desert. Macy's parade and Hallmark movies were a must on the list as well.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Your Thanksgiving table looks inviting!! I always cook the giblets for the pooches. Dogs are a lot less fussy than kitties. Luckily we have taught them to wait their turn. The candy heart fabric is a great compliment for your stitched hearts.
xx, Carol

SJSM said...

Easiest Thanksgiving ever here. That is except the clean up. We sent everything home with guests as we will be gone . It was easy as the Whole Foods brined Turkey needed no cleaning. Just plop it in the pan and cook. No giblets or neck which was okay with me this year. It was perfectly cooked. I also, for the first time, ordered some sides. They were okay but only if you are feeling lazy. Daughter made quite a few things as all guests were hers. She grew her pumpkins for the pumpkin pies and mashed potatoes. Her hubby did all the bread items. Rolls, sourdough and the stuffing. He is the yeast expert. He makes a good beer also. The only thing I truly missed was a good pecan pie. The ones we had were runny and not quite the right flavor. Guests were fun and a loving family and we are glad to share our home with a family coming out of a crisis. Now back to the sewing room.

Love seeing what you had for T Day. I did make the peppered cranberry sauce you had on your blog last year, I think. It is a true winner with unexpected hot spiciness. Thanks for the recipe.

piecefulwendy said...

I'm sure the food and the company were both perfectly lovely. Willy looks like he could be Wilbur's twin! We had a nice Thanksgiving, enjoyed our food comas, and now we are ready to get back to regular programming. I'm hoping for a NBS day once I get my dishes done. Enjoy your day!

quiltzyx said...

I was chuckling as I read your t'giving menu - almost identical to ours! Yummy stuff.

Willy was a good lookin' big guy. I can just picture him as a kitten with an over-filled giblet tummy! LOL

kc said...

Awesome alliteration, sweet hearts, pretty kitty, yummy spread. Not much here, we actually had rain and hail yesterday, but at least no snow down here in the valley. Learning all about nursing homes and PoAs, and paying bills for an elder. What a mess. No time for fun or sewing!