10/10/19

TGIF

What? Is it Friday already? No. It's Finished. Thank Goodness It's Finished [and I can get on with my life]. Holy Moly. The Sundress quilt was possibly the longest finishing project I've ever undertaken. It isn't the oldest and longest-running UFO, but the piecing to finish it off took forever.

Oh wait...but that's not all. I finished the third of three blocks for the "I Believe in Snowmen" project. There are 16 embroidered blocks for this quilt. I did the first one on its own, but with 15 remaining, it made sense to do them in groups of three. So each time this project comes up for its turn under my slow-stitching needle, I complete three more blocks. Seven are finished now, with nine left to go. Here's the latest:


When I do my slow stitching this morning, I'll be working on the fourth block for "Dancing Chickens and Flying Pigs."


There was some housekeeping on yesterday's agenda, but I wanted to finish the center of the Sundress quilt first. I had the blocks sewn into a whole, but I needed to add two borders. The inner-most border was white.


After that, I added the floral border, and the center portion of the quilt was complete.


Smitty was excited to get on with the rest of it.

What's next?



And so I laid out the pieced blocks.


After that, I did my housework, had some lunch, and took a short nap. It was important to shore up my strength for the push to the finish, you know. By day's end...Ta-Da!


This is my goal for October's



Sadie was proud of the work she did on this quilt too.


After all that, she too needed a nap.


While she was resting her weary bones, I made the quilt back. The back is made from some fabric I picked up at the first quilt shop we stopped at on our USA perimeter trip. The quilt shop was The Dysfunctional Quilter in Whitehall, Montana. I had only just started the embroidered blocks when I saw this fabric.


I note in the blog post I've linked to, it says I purchased five yards. When I measured it out yesterday, there were six. I'm not sure if I misremembered it, or if I got a free yard of fabric. Either way, I only needed about 4-1/2 yards for my quilt back, and so I have a good amount left over for another quilt at some point in the future.


I'll use that same floral from the quilt blocks and the inner border for the binding. I laid it out on the right side of the image below.


Okay, so I've tidied up the sewing room, and I'm ready to get caught up on some of my other projects. After our trip to Colorado in September, I'm a month behind on everything. I doubt I can get caught up on everything before next month sometime. This month's agenda includes two more big projects. I've set October 15th as the day I'll get busy quilting the Wine Country quilt.


For now, it's in the "Think, Think, Think" phase of quilting...which, if you must know, makes my head hurt. Also, I've set October 25th as the day I'll get started on another project for a dear friend from high school. I'll say more about that as the time grows closer. All you need to know is that it will involve a trip to the fabric store.

As for today, I'm having breakfast with my little boy...my oldest little boy...who turned 40 yesterday. Egads! I'm much too young for him to be so old. After that, I'm getting my hair cut and colored, and then, if I can muster the energy, I'll make a trip to the grocery store. It doesn't sound like there will be much time left for sewing, does it? But there's almost always time for slow-stitching, and that's where I'll start.

11 comments:

by Laura McFall said...

Your embroidery is beautiful!! I have 12 redwork blocks of antique trucks that I did a couple years ago. I know which ones I started with by looking at the backs! I need to clean up 3-4 of them before setting into a windowpane quilt for my “baby” who just turned 28! How does that happen?

Lyndsey said...

The quilt top is fabulous, it's bright cheerful and very pretty and the overall effect makes me very happy. I think, like Sadie, I may have to take a nap after all the excitement. The answer to the age conundrum is that we as mothers age more slowly than our children as their presence in our lives helps to keep us young (well at least young at heart).

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Oh My--that dresses quilt is so pretty and bright and cheery!! what a wonderful job you did on it--even if you did feel it was a challenge--you did it!!
Ok so you did have a little help from the kitties--but still you got it finished :-)
luv, di

Sandra W said...

Yes. Smitty sure does look excited! Not.
Your quilt is beautiful The pale green inner border is an unusual choice with the yellow but it is absolutely perfect.
You've mentioned before how you rotate work on your quilts. I think it is a method I might try. I tend to sew until I don't feel like it and so I end up with a lot of projects in various states of not being done.
And if it's a machine project I tend to only work on projects that require the same colour thread.
Oh well.
And that backing is perfect. Sometimes the planets just line up, don't they?

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

The dresses quilt top looks great. Yes, perfect backing for that quilt.

Sherry said...

Your sundress quilt looks fantastic. Your efforts was well worth it. And I know it helped to have to assistance of Smitty and Sadie.

Dots said...

I'm really loving the Sundress quilt. Very nice. Excellent embroidery, good color choices. It just beams! The duo cat helpers made it all come together again. You do stunning quilt work. I'm always excited to see your beginning projects. The progression is amazing. I learn a lot. Thanks for sharing.

piecefulwendy said...

I really, really like that sundress quilt, and the backing fabric is perfect! What a great finish for the week!

Chris K. said...

I must say, I think those pieced blocks for the border were worth the effort. I love it.

Kate said...

The dreadful Dresden blocks were definitely worth all the annoyance. Your dresses quilt turned out beautifully! Happy belated birthday to son #1. Good luck with your sewing plans for the rest of the month.

quiltzyx said...

Congrats on the finished flimsy! The pieced block border looks wonderful.

I know what you mean about the age thing - my "baby niece's" oldest son recently turned 31 and got married!! Yikes! (I always call Shirley my "baby niece" - and she's closer in age to me than either of my sisters. ;) )