10/11/19

Playing Catch-Up

The morning was busy yesterday, and when I got home, I needed a nap. It often happens when I'm out running around. When I get home, I just want to lie on the couch and cover my head with a quilt. Sleep generally follows.

Breakfast with Erik and Mae was first on my list. It was a small celebration of his birthday on Wednesday. Along the way, I needed gasoline. After I left him, I stopped off at the liquor store...to be fair, it's something we needed before we left on our trip to Colorado. And after that, I stopped off at the local apple grower to pick up some apples. I want to make some apple pie filling before I wrap up this year's canning.


Oregon Heritage Farms is just down the road from us, and it's a great resource for apples each fall. The apples look so pretty on the trees.


Yesterday, their fall foliage was spectacular. Who sees an art quilt in this next image? As I parked my car, this is what I saw through my windshield.


Walking toward their farm store, I turned and took this next picture.


Every time I make an apple pie, I check in with my friend The Google to see which apples make the best pies. Jonagolds make the list, and they happened to have some yesterday. I picked up eight pounds, which should be plenty to make eight pints of apple pie filling. That will be a project for this weekend. After the apple store, I got my hair cut, and then headed for home.

Back at home, I got to work catching up on the Tiny Tuesday blocks. I was six or seven blocks behind on this project. Now, I'm caught up on two of them. For now, I'm working with September's purples. This one was the tiny Storm at Sea.


It was set diagonally.


Next I made a tiny lantern, and straight set it.


When that was finished, it was time to quit for the day.

Before leaving the house in the morning, I'd started on the 4th block for Dancing Chickens and Flying Pigs. The applique takes the most time on these blocks. Once that's done, they stitch up pretty fast. I've already filled the first hoop for this one.


So, I didn't get my grocery shopping done yesterday, which was just as well. I'll get out early today and get it done. After that, I'll be having an NBS day. Our weather has been sunny and chilly with highs in the low-60's. The weekend is looking good for apple pie filling and more sewing.

11 comments:

LavenderBlue said...

I am looking forward to your pie filling recipe (if you are so kind to share?) as I've always wanted to make some...I find the canned variety to be so overly sweet. Temps coming down slightly here in SE Georgia, mostly at night...a refreshing 67 this morning.

Debbie said...

Those trees are spectacular! The color is so wonderful. Just made an apple pie...its in the oven. Now I am out of apples and will head to apple farm next week for another batch to make bread for the winter. I love Romes to bake bread, but often mix in a few others too.

Quilting Babcia said...

Gorgeous color in those trees. Yes definitely a barn quilt in that photo, perhaps a horizontal border block along the top. So many barns, hard to choose among them for a quilt but I know you'll manage!

Denise :) said...

We have fall in theory, but not in practice, just yet. I'm jealous of all your beautiful color!!! :)

Teresa said...

Your pictures are so beautiful. Did you do that with your phone or a camera? Cute blocks, going to make a nice quilt someday. So what is a NBS day?

Vroomans' Quilts said...

That is the most amazing red tree and set with the red barn (and red apples), it is so festive with the Fall season. We have bits of red this year, but mostly yellows and I guess we are at peak right now. I have my last travel meeting Monday and then I am HOME - snow is around the corner.

Della said...

The fall colors on the trees are so beautiful. Our leaves seem to be just drying up and falling to the ground, all brown. Hopefully we will have better colors when we move into November.

Kate said...

I'm so jealous of your pretty autumn leaves. It's been in the 80's with lows in the 50's till about midweek. Our low this morning is in the 20's. So we aren't likely to get very pretty leaves, they'll turn brown and just fall off. Oh well. I'll just have to enjoy your pretty autumn colors.

Gretchen Weaver said...

We never get the beautiful reds on our trees, mainly orange and yellow. I bought Jonagolds this week to make applesauce with, I'll mix them with Cortlands. I'll also be using them in apple crisp. Don't injure anyone at the grocery store, have a lovely sewing day!

piecefulwendy said...

It is supposed to be s NBS day here too. I do have to go out for one errand, but not sure when I will do that. It was 32 degrees this morning. We didn't get snow, but very windy and, of course, chilly. The best kind of day for staying in and sewing, so I'm going to try to make the most of it.

quiltzyx said...

Really robust reds showing in the leaves, apples & the barn. A gorgeous photo!

Just the thought of apple pie is making my mouth water today...with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, of course. Or as my Dad would say "Abbela bye with ice cream!" I don't know where that came from, but that was Dad for ya!