8/21/19

An Unscheduled Day

Today was set aside as a canning day, but all the canning was finished. It was nice to just decide what I wanted to do without the burden of needing to do something. Matthew and Lyndsay left fairly early. It's unlikely we'll see Matthew again before Thursday, but one never knows. In any case, I spent the morning pulling weeds. I have a goal to pick a bucket full of weeds every morning until we leave on our trip in September. When I'd filled my bucket, I walked around checking on other things.

The plums are turning purple. When I checked them this morning, they were even a little bit soft. Just possibly they'll ripen in time. I don't have anything in particular planned for them, but it would be nice to make some plum barbecue sauce, and then just some favorite desserts. (You know how we love dessert.)


A local apple orchard will open to the public this Saturday. I'm planning to get about 15 lbs. of apples to make some applesauce early next week. That had me thinking about our own apple tree. I noticed one of the nine apples had fallen to the ground, but the rest are still hanging in. The one below is the largest, about the size of a tennis ball.


I'm not really sure what to expect from them. They aren't very big, and they are still green. I'm just not sure what color they will be when they are ripe. This one appears to be developing a rose blush on the right side, and so I'll give them just a little longer. I hate to pick any because there are so few.

After that, I went to work on August's block for the Garden Sunshine BOM. With Smitty off getting his teeth cleaned, Sadie took her quilting helper responsibilities very seriously.


And you have no idea...


just how helpful...


she was being.


Sheesh.

I thought I'd never finish this, but there it is.


I tried hard to follow the instructions, which were basically hand applique. I just found it nearly impossible to turn under a neat quarter inch with those round edges to the paper-pieced portion. And so, I gave up. Instead I made a big mess trying to get fusible ironed on to the back of it, and then I did machine applique. Life is too short.

Here are the 12 blocks I have for this quilt so far.


Just about the time I finished that up, it was time to go pick up Handsome from the vet. They made a special point of telling me what a nice kitty he is. He had no problems whatsoever, no extractions, nothing. Just a gleaming smile. Be sure to put on your sunglasses before gazing upon His Majesty.


He's a little wobbly on his back legs after the anesthesia. Wouldn't it be nice if humans got anesthesia for their teeth cleaning?

And if my cat doesn't put a smile on your face, then feast your eyes on these two little girls with their newly-gifted doll quilts. It makes all that paper-piecing worthwhile. My friend labeled these pictures, "Surprise and Delight,"


and "Shock and Awe."


So today I'm getting my hair permed. If Smitty is getting his teeth cleaned, then I need to do something to keep up, you know? Since I'm driving to a different part of town, I want to run a couple of errands while I'm there. They have a Penzey's store on that side of town. I need a couple of things, but it's always just a delight to browse their store. Hopefully, there will be some time for sewing today. If there is, I'm going to get started sewing together the Sundress quilt. 

Have Dresden ruler. Can sew.

8 comments:

Charlotte M. said...

The plum looks good. And looks like a productive day. We have a Penzeys near here and I love to go there and just look and smell. It always makes me want to cook something. And they have the best cinnamon selection.

Julierose said...

Awww those two cuties look so happy with their special dolly quilts...warms your heart I'll bet...;)))
Your BOM is so pretty--I'm with you on appliqueing--life is definitely too short...
I am debating what to start next (altho I still have a lot of finishing ahead, but hey, life is too short, right?).
Am still sewing snowballs with those multiplying scraps...;000 and
on the last hand quilting of my legos strips...
Hugs, Julierose

Sandra W said...

Oh those little girls! They sure look happy. Those little quilts are adorable.
Actually, you can get aneesthetic (Sp?) for human teeth cleaning. It's not what they use in hospitals but a different one for dental surgery. The dentist has to have special training to administer it. And, of course it is expensive. It's pretty common and is done for people with dental phobias, as well as others such as the mentally handicapped, and for the very elderly. Mainly it is done for major dental surgery as it allows more work to be done at once and therefore requires fewer appointment. My dentist called his practice Dentistry Asleep. There are different levels, such as twilight, where you are somewhat awake.
I.m sure Sadie enjoyed her time home alone. Sweet cat.

gpc said...

I am glad you reinforced my complete and utter ban of paper piecing, but golly that is a pretty block. Such cute little girls, I am sure they will treasure those sweet quilts (although I might have labeled the photos 'surprise, delight' and perfectly age appropriate 'huh?') Smitty definitely does gleam, and I am sure you will, too, after the perm. As for your weeding mission, brilliant -- I must do the same, but first I'll need to find a bucket.

piecefulwendy said...

I love that sunshine block, however, I'm pretty sure I'd go with the machine applique option. Life is definitely too short for needle turn! Haha! Smitty is looking good, and I'm sure you are too after your perm! Sadie looks about as helpful as Wilbur :-)

Dots said...

A picture is worth a 1000 words! Thanks for sharing the pictures of the little girls getting their special quilts. Kids just have the best expressions. I know this because my daughter has 5 kids she adopted. So she has made kids her career with foster care for the past 20 years. Always a house full.
Great post. Always fun to read.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

awww, the littles look so cute with their dolly quilts. I like your sunshine quilt block. I love all things sun art. Wow, you have plums too! I used to love to can plum jam. My mouth waters to taste plum BBQ sauce. weeding a bucket a day is an excellent idea. Small bits of time spend whacking away large chores has been my way of controlling housework.
Have a great weekend.
xx, Carol

quiltzyx said...

Very nice sunshine block - fusible definitely sounds like the way to go for that one too.

Smitty looks like he weathered the teeth cleaning just fine. And what a BIG help Sadie was in the quilting arena too!