8/20/19

Just Peachy

It was another full day of peaches yesterday, although I did use the morning to run some errands. It was just noon when I arrived back home. After lunch, I went to work. The Facebook hive mind told me it was okay to make jam and barbecue sauce without peeling the peaches, and hey! I may never peel peaches again!

First up was the Zesty Peach Barbecue Sauce. The peaches were practically pureed, and so leaving the skins on was just fine. It also colored the sauce just a little bit. My yield was nine half-pints.


Pretty, huh? It's nicely spicy without being too hot. It is sweetened with honey and also contains some red wine vinegar, so it has a nice tangy sweetness in addition to the "zest."

Next up, and mainly because I still had lots of peaches, I tried this recipe for Peach Jalapeno Jam. It contains two jalapenos to the total of 11 half-pints and a wicked amount of sugar. The jam is good, but I'd like to find a recipe that uses less sugar for the future.


For this, I removed the seeds and ribs from the jalapenos, which gives the jam a smoky flavor without the heat. It would be good on any sort of toast or bruschetta, or even spread on crackers. But I think it would be especially nice on more savory breads, like cornbread.

And there were still more peaches, so we ate them for dinner last night in this Pork Tenderloin with Tequila-Hot Pepper Glaze and Grilled Peaches. Mike smoked the pork tenderloin and grilled the peaches. Matthew and Lyndsay were here for dinner, and they helped us polish it off. The image below isn't mine, but you can get an idea what it looked like. Pork tenderloins were buy-one-get-one-free at my local grocery store last month, and so I snapped up two of those puppies.


Ah, but I still had two peaches left, and I used those to make these Individual Peach Upside-Down Cakes. This is one of Alton Brown's recipes. This was my first time making this. Again, I didn't peel the peaches, and I sliced them thin instead of cutting them into pieces. When they came out of their ramekins to be upside-down, they looked like this.


After dinner, we ate them with a dollop of whipped cream, and they were delicious. I'll definitely be making this again.


And with that...we'd eaten every one.

With the peach invasion, there's been little time for sewing, but I've been keeping up with my slow-stitching mystery project each day. Here's another peek.


Smitty is about to have a very bad day. He's going into town in just a few minutes to have his teeth cleaned. We're heading out on a trip next month, and he wanted to have a gleaming smile for when he meets his public.


As for me, I'll be back in the sewing room today, but I need to spend a little time weeding the garden this morning. I'll be spending the next several mornings in the garden trying to beat back the weeds, hoping to make next spring a little easier, weed-wise. As if.

6 comments:

Cathy Smith said...

You can do it Smitty! I think cat wranglers sometimes underestimate the importance of feline dental health. Bad teeth can influence so many aspects of overall kitty health. Good for you Mom!

Charlotte M. said...

I have that Alton Brown recipe, but never got around to trying it. Now, I think I must while peaches are still in season.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Yay!! You used every bit of those peaches! I'm catching up on my reading. I have a garden in the front of the house that we are removing. It is achieved with stacking the same type of block you are using. I'm trying to think how I want to use them in the pond area. Yours is perfect with that cement wall behind your peony plot.
xx, Carol

piecefulwendy said...

Boy, you have been one busy lady lately! That peach bbq sauce looks so good! Hope Smitty endured his teeth cleaning. I can completely relate!

Natureluvr57 said...

Another delicious sounding recipe to try! Everything looks delicious but love the made for two recipes you share. Wishing Smitty the best.

QuiltGranma said...

You are one busy lady doing the "can-can"! Love reading your recipes and about all that you do!