8/22/19

Sew Much Cutting

It was so early when I posted to my blog yesterday, I wasn't able to share the sunrise with you until today. We had rain yesterday, and the clouds were looking ominous with the rising sun.


The rain didn't start until late in the afternoon, and so I was still able to get out and pull some weeds before I left to drive into town. Also, there was time to put the truck camper bedding back together. If you've ever made a bed in a truck camper (or, indeed, most RV's), then you'll appreciate this solution Mike found. It's basically a king-sized sleeping bag. Turn it with one side up, and it's a warm comforter for winter.


Flip it over, and you have a lighter-weight summer version.


Inside, there are regular sheets that attach to the outer shell with velcro. They are removable and machine washable, as is the outer shell. The outer shell zips together, and the top and bottom can be separated from one another. I laid it all out on the living room floor and put it back together. Smitty prefers the winter side.


After that, I drove into town for my perm...only there was no perm because of a scheduling mix-up. My calendar said Wednesday, but hers said Friday. And I know I would never have scheduled a perm on my Walk-With-Sue day, so I'm sure the mistake was hers. Whatever. No use getting worked up about it. Nobody died, and so it's all good. I was able to run some errands while I was in town.

So I was home earlier than expected, and that gave me time to start cutting the pieces I'd need for the Sundress quilt. And I cut, and cut, and cut, the rest of the day, and I'm not finished yet. There were all these strips for the borders and binding.


And all these spacers and sashings for the dress blocks.


And all these pieces for the star blocks, half-square triangles, and the like.


The Dresdens have a yellow yo-yo in the center. The pattern provided a paper template, which was exactly the size of a compact disk, and so that will make a handy template. I decided to just cut a strip, and I'll cut the circles for the yo-yo's as I go...or maybe I'll cut them ahead of time. It would make a good take-along project for when we travel next month. (I have no delusions about finishing this quilt top before we go.)


Also, these background pieces for the Dresdens.


And piles and piles of blades for the Dresdens. (And look at me with that new sewing vocabulary word..."blades." Yeah, I've been making Dresdens all my life. Since yesterday.)


Sadie was her usual helpful self, keeping things organized and reading the instructions to me.


Smitty snoopervised from the quilts-to-be-quilted pile. Also, he turned on his lasers for extra room lighting.


If you've ever wondered about Sadie's stubby tail, here's one possibility.


Okay, and with all that cutting, I'm still not finished. I need to cut 24 more blades from each of the fabrics below.


Already this morning, I've decided to switch out that fabric on the far left for something with more orange. Also, I might switch out one of the pinks for more contrast. Those two fabrics are fairly similar, and I think a different pink might be better.

Matthew returned late last night. He had a job interview in the Bay Area yesterday, and I heard him drive up around midnight last night. He'll be with us for dinner. I tried a new sandwich recipe a couple of weeks ago, and it's something I know he'll like. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish off the cutting today and get in some actual sewing. It's a day at home today, so there should be plenty of time. Maybe I'll take a break from the weeds today.

7 comments:

Julierose said...

I love those fabrics you've chosen for the blades...
I think they will really enhance all those lovely dresses...

In the meantime, I am waiting for an old magazine that has directions for a dresden fan to come in the mail--so I will be cutting a
lot soon. I lucked out on ebay finding it, as I had seen a quilt using the pattern on pinterest and could not find templates anywhere...
I will most likely have to make my own templates but that's ok..I always used to do that...
Hugs, Julierose

Sandra W said...

For strips I cut with a stripology ruler, a big one. It's expensive (less n the US) and it is one of the greatest tools I have. I have seen it around but it's not that common and I can't figure out why. As far as I'm concerned it's the best invention since the rotary cutter. My ruler works best with a smaller cutter BTW. If you're curious there is probably something on You Tube. It is accurate and fast. Can you tell I really like it?
I've never done a dresden plate either but it is on my agenda.
You've had issues before with perm appointments.
I'm curious. You seem to have straightish hair yet you have a perm. Is it a body perm or what's the deal?

piecefulwendy said...

Oh, I like those fabrics for the sundress quilt! You have been a real cut-up, my goodness! I just got done sewing a bazoodle of 4-patches. I had so much fun (not) that I might even finish the quilt top today, or make some decent progress on it. Or I may ignore it for the day and do something fun. We'll see. Enjoy your time with Matthew!

SJSM said...

That is a cleaver RV bed system. Good for Mike for acting on a solution to making an RV bed.

I am loving the colors for your sundress quilt. Seeing all the piles of fabric cuts it seems like that quilt should be gigantic but I’m sure it’s just an illusion. Changing out the colors you pointed out it a good idea. Too much match-y match-y. Especially on the pink. Can’t wait to see how this goes together.

Glad I don’t do perms any longer. It’s bad enough getting my hi lights and low lights. The coloring gives my hair the body it needs. It is the same time commitment but the process is easier on the nose and hair.

Natureluvr57 said...

That scheduling mix up happened with me and a doctor's office. Thankfully I pulled out my little card and said today is my appointment so they honored it. Their office was an hour away and an hour back when traffic wasn't bad. If I make an appointment over the phone I ask that they mail me a confirmation because I'm not paying for "missing" an appointment and I don't like coming back since I have to travel to tin-buck-two and I'm sure you're not close by either.
I love Dresden plates and made a ton of them. I even sewed quite a bit that had black and red cherry fabrics for a table runner. Some blocks I sewed into fans (one fourth of a circle) and I love those too. I see another commenter mentioned the Stripology ruler. I have two, one is smaller and I think by June Tailor but then Creative Grids came out with a larger one so I bought it. I love Creative Grid Rulers and prefer to save up for them rather than buy another brand that I'm not as happy with except some of Quilt in a Day rulers I have already. I love their original Flying Geese rulers when I need a lot of them because they make 4 at a time. I used them when I made a border of Geese because it took a lot of them. I'm just not that happy with the sandpaper dots or the Invisible Grip Q.I.A.D recommends. I did buy some kind of traction tape from Amazon and that works pretty good but I have to be careful not to place it on any lines. If you try to re-position it, it takes the ruler markings off-ask me how I know. I bought the clear but it's more frosted which can interfere with viewing the ruler lines if they're light in color. Time to go work in the garden.

kc said...

Stunning sunrise! Thanks for sharing! Love those lasers too. Did you switch out one of the pinks? I never thought pink and orange went together well, but apparently, I am mistaken, 'cuz they look fine in your grouping. I have to admit, I laughed at the possible cause of bobtail...I know better tho. :)

quiltzyx said...

That is a gorgeous sunrise! Wow!!

At least you did have some other errands to run when the Wed. perm appt. went kablooey. I'm due for a perm too, but since my stylist will be on vacation when my original appt. was, we needed to move it. That meant I would be having stinky perm hair for my great-nephew's wedding, so I opted to go after I come back from vacation. Oh well. Like you said, no one died.