7/26/19

A Full Day

After yesterday's desperate coffee-less post, you'll be relieved to know that the coffee is back! Man, I missed it yesterday. I finally got to drink some after I got home, but it was nearly 1:00 p.m. by then. Phew! I was running on caffeine fumes, but I survived the ordeal. And since I'd just been to the grocery store, I should add that my fellow shoppers were all still living, despite my no-coffee-up-to-that-point day. (I'll admit some small whining children were at risk, but I just sped past them.)

So when I got home and fortified myself with a healthy helping of caffeine, I got to work on the zebra. For starters, my friend Sally suggested using a permanent marker to give him a pupil in his eye. I'd already considered that myself, but Sally provided a helpful image she created in Photoshop so I could see how it would look. So, first stop was to fill in the pupil:


After that, I finished the section containing the ear, and the left side of the quilt was finished.


Moving on to the right side sections, the first one, section K, was pretty easy.


So much easier than its neighbor, section L.


When I had that finished, I decided to quit for the day. No need to press my luck.


Now there are just three sections left to complete the quilt, and I should have plenty of time to finish that off today. Just the areas outside the pink line are left.



The backing fabric is on its way. I think it will be cute when it's all finished. I have my eye on a black and white stripe for the binding.

Sadie was worried about this zebra. She's been told they will kick and bite, and so she was taking no chances and decided to stand on it, just to be sure it didn't buck right off the table.


Now what's going on here, you ask?


Smitty is wearing the toy we refer to as his "friend." It's like a feather boa on a stick. He holds it in his mouth and carries it around the house, dragging it between his legs and yowling. At times, he takes it somewhere soft...like a pillow...where he can have his way with it, if you know what I mean. At other times, I help him wear it and he walks around the house with it in a fashion something akin to prancing. Yes. It is weird, but that's our cat. Do you think he's a purrvert?

Also, yesterday I finished off my mystery piece and chose the fabrics I'll use to piece it together. Hopefully, I'll get that finished when the zebra is done.


And, finally, my friend Nancy generously sent me a yard of the fabric on the left. It's very similar to the background fabric I'm using for my Tiny Tuesday blocks (on the right). When I wrote about my fear I was going to run out of fabric before I ran out of blocks, Nancy sent me a picture of her fabric. It isn't exact, but it's close enough. I have no doubt I can make it work to finish off the Tiny Tuesday quilt.


So, thank you, Nancy.

This morning I'm walking with Sue. We haven't walked in weeks...I can't even remember when. We've both been gadding about, and so it's nobody's fault, but it'll be good to get back together and catch up. It's a warm and sunny morning. Time to slather on some sunscreen.

9 comments:

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I think that is so funny about Smitty--
back when I had a couple cats--one loved red and purple mice--
and only them--
the other one liked the orange and green ones--
they were so funny how they would turn their noses up at each other's mice colors--silly cats!!!
Mr Zebra is growing--stripe by stripe and looking good--
luv,di

Julierose said...

Section "L" --short for Lotsa work!!--Mr. Z is coming together really well.
Still hot here...AC-ing it again...hugs, Julierose

Beth said...

That pupil in the zebra's eye was the perfect finishing touch for his expressive face, but it would have taken me an extreme amount of courage to take a pen to that completed section. (Perhaps, with skill and experience comes bravery?) He's looking good!

LavenderBlue said...

The zebra is already stunning and the pupil is perfection.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

your cats are a hoot. They have so much purrsenality, You might think about auditioning a small white dot in the eye of the zebra. When I painted, I was taught a small white dot would help the "figure" not look like it's staring. Just a little to move the focus from the very center of the pupil. his is really a cool piece.
xx, Carol

piecefulwendy said...

We had a similar cat toy for Wilbur. It has now been reduced to a ball, with a feather sticking out of it, which he plays with recklessly. Cats are funny people. Your zebra looks great. I've been pattern testing some paper-pieced blocks that finish at 6". Need I say more? Oy! The one I made yesterday was a challenge. I got one small piece done, only to find I had put the wrong fabric in one place, so I had to remake it. Ugh. Today I think I'll do something fun. :-)

Californianativedaughter said...

I think most cats have a favorite toy that they use to simulate hunting. Out 3 cats have several objects, some I've made with catnip and other colored mice. The black feline will howl sometimes when she is playing with the toys, the Orange tabby also plays with the toy mice which start upstairs and end up elsewhere in the house. When out youngest cat, 2 years old, accidentally gets out, we usually can catch him using s bird on a string with feathers. Sometimes it takes us an hour to get him to come inside. My husband had planned to put a collar on him and get him used to it so he could take him outiside, but has has put off doing this.

Rosemary

Cathy said...

That’s hilarious about Smitty. I’ll chuckle about that every time you post a suave and debonair picture of him now! Darla likes her turbo-roller ball (the one with levels) and Alfie can play forever with his soft golf-ball sized rubber balls. He carries one around in his mouth and sometimes he’ll drop one during the night on our bed (presumably when he curls up to sleep). I’m enjoying watching the zebra come together (it’s looking wonderful). Better you doing the paper piecing than me. No one would be safe if I tried to...

quiltzyx said...

Oh yes! The pupil in the blue eye is perfect. Keep up the good work. :)

Smitty is exploring his feminine side on occasion I see. What a hoot! Glad that Sadie was able to keep the zebra in line for you.