7/27/19

Yipes! Stripes!

Holy Moly. I can get back to my life. The paper-pieced zebra quilt top is finished! Yahoo! And I even lived to tell about it. Even the people I live with lived to tell about it! Okay, but let's just back up. I'll keep you in suspense until the end. First, I was heading out for a walk with Sue, but I had just a little bit of time for slow-stitching. I'd finished my mystery project the day before, and so I was ready to start on the October heart for A Year of Hearts.

I'd done some stitching already, but then I looked a little closer at my hoop and what did I see?


Look at that word, "Haloween." Isn't it supposed to be spelled with two "L's"? So I checked the pattern, and...same thing.


So, am I the only one who, when looking at a misspelled word, starts to question their own spelling prowess? Have I been spelling it wrong my whole life? So, I checked in with my friend The Google, and...


Okay, so what to do? What to do? So I stitched a little more and looked at it, and I decided there was enough room to add the extra "L."


And maybe the designer meant to misspell the word, but this is the 7th one I've done, and there haven't been any other misspellings. I have to think that's an error. Anyway...all fixed now. When I needed to leave, I had it this far.


So I was off to my walk with Sue. It was good to see her because we haven't seen one another for almost the whole summer. Along the way, I took pictures of every blooming thing. Are cattails considered blooming things? I'm not sure, but you know I love cattails...and cats.


It was harvest time in our valley, and the farmers are in the process of cutting their wheat.


Yesterday's photo-a-day prompt was "a memory of mine." When I saw this combine, I knew exactly what to do.


This is my memory: At our previous home, we lived at the edge of a farm field. The farmer alternated between growing wheat and red clover. During the wheat harvest, the boys would stand at the edge of the field and the farmer would come by in his combine and pick them up so they could ride in the cab. Fun times for them. Like living on a farm, only without all the work.

Walking on...





Looks like Big Foot was here.


Back home, I checked the zucchini. There are lots of little ones, and this one larger one, nearly ready for harvest. I need to watch it carefully or one morning I'll walk out here and find it's grown to the size of a baseball bat overnight.


The light was all wrong for the echinacea. I really want to get out here with my macro lens and take some pictures of these. Maybe today.


We planted some raspberries before Mike swore off berry seeds. They are ripening, but mainly, I just pick them off the bush and eat them myself.


Okay, so let's talk about the zebra, shall we? For all the tedium of Section L the day before, it had nothing on Section M with all those long skinny pieces.


When I had it finished, I could sew it to the other two sections.


There was just one more section of zebra to sew together. It went a little easier, and when I added it to the rest, the zebra was finished.


There was just one more section...all red...and the right side of the quilt top was finished.


Then I sewed it to the left side, and the top was finished. Ta-da!


Of course, I still had to remove all the paper from the back. For this I went upstairs and sat next to the window. Then, I made friends with my tweezers.


Here it is...pressed and paperless. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I won't be able to finish it until the backing fabric arrives on Wednesday, but I'm hoping to get it to binding stage. We have a short trip planned for next week, and this would be a good take-along project.


Of course, I had plenty of help for this project. Smitty handed me tools as I worked.


Sadie lounged among the scraps.


When it was finished...

We were good helpurrs, huh? Do we get some treats now?


So, I'd like to say I'm never going to paper-piece again, but I'd be lying. My friend has another granddaughter who needs a doll quilt. Since big sister is getting the requested zebra, I figured another equine was in order. I knew I'd found it when I found this pattern from robynie.com for a unicorn.


And that seems like the perfect choice to me. I'm going to make the background blue since my friend believes that is her granddaughter's favorite color.

Okay, and so to finish off the day, this arrived in the mailbox. I saw it on Instagram, and you didn't think I was going to leave without it, did you?


This morning, I'm heading out to the Farmer's Market with Erik and Mae. I'm on the hunt for pie cherries, peaches, and tomatillos. And if any one of those isn't to be found, I'll get some more sweet cherries. I believe there is canning in my future...and pie. Pie cherries can be hard to find, so wish me luck.

13 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

That Farm Fresh Eggs pattern, so cute! Mr. Zebra is looking fantastic, and that unicorn will be as well. Those little girls are getting splendid doll quilts!

Julierose said...

Zebra turned out beautifully--kudos for you on finishing him so well...and
pulling off all those papery bits--ugh!! At least you had two furry
helpers lol....
hugs, Julierose

Katie said...

Holy cow, you've been busy! The zebra looks great and that unicorn is amazing. Lucky little girls! Did you look to see if the original quilt for your misspelled "Halloween" block is wrong in the photo of the quilt, too? (I'm curious if the designer made a boo-boo before or after stitching it up!) And good luck at the farmers market today. Fun place to go, but you never know what you'll find!

gpc said...

I love pie/sour cherries; it's a short season, so I am also always on the lookout for them! Your blooming things are lovely; we are months away from harvest of most things here. Your Zebra is fantabulous! I am not convinced that anything makes paper piecing worthwhile, but it is a beauty, for sure. As for Smitty -- comfort yourself. I once had a standard poodle whose preferred dress up was the wear one of my bras, her nose firmly pressed in one of the cups. I often came home to the sight, making it iffy to show up with visitors. I have noticed that lots of stitching patterns these days use a purposeful mis-spelling, so it is a possibility although I prefer to believe it was a mistake. Purposeful ignorance is not cute, says me, and we already have more than enough that is accidental.

Gretchen Weaver said...

The zebra is fantastic! The pieces don't look at tiny for the unicorn pp, hopefully it won't be as stressful. Happy Stitching!

piecefulwendy said...

The zebra turned out really well! Love the eye; it was a good change to the pattern. I think I would've had to fix Halloween too. That would've bugged me. That unicorn is going to be fun, and I love the little embroidery pattern. I know you found pie cherries, and I'm sure it was tasty!

Cherie Moore said...

Your zebra looks amazing!! There are some things that just can’t be done any other way than the dreaded paper piecing way. For me it’s like learning to sew upside down and backwards EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. The unicorn looks like fun....said wryly ;-)

Claire said...

Very cool zebra and upcoming unicorn. Paper piecing is good only for those intricate designs beyond normal piecing potential.

quiltzyx said...

Yay for having enough room to add the 2nd "l" into Halloween. That would have bugged me too.
Lovely pics from your walk with Sue - so many cool things bloomin' for you.
I just saw cherries in the Sprouts store ad. Maybe I will stop on the way home. Or not. We'll see.
The zebra looks mighty fine while waiting for the backing. :)
I will continue to send you good paper piecing juju thoughts while you approach the unicorn.

kc said...

Yay for finishes! Yup, I count it as a finish, even if it still needs backing and binding! Great job, especially on improving that eyeball. The new embroidery looks sweet and the unicorn looks like it will be a smidge easier, since the pieces are larger. I know both kids will just love their quilts!

Those raspberries look scrumptious...we don't have issues with seeds, so if you end up with too many, well, just let me know and I'll send you an address! HAHA, not really, we're still in transit for a couple of months! Just can 'em up and we'll pick 'em up on our way out of TX next spring! :)

Kathy H said...

I love how the zebra quilt turned out. I think your eye was a very good choice. He looks very friendly. I just made a unicorn quilt too. I loved all the different colors in the mane. Have fun.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

The zebra turned out great.

Kate said...

Love the zebra! That unicorn is going to be cute and fun too. Love the every blooming thing walk. Not too many flowers here at the moment, so it's nice that you share yours.