7/25/19

What's Happening In Perkatory

It's the worst day of the year because I have a fasting blood draw this morning (just routine), and that means I haven't had my coffee. I cannot be held responsible for anything I say or write. Also, I haven't had my breakfast, and my stomach is grumbling

Which brings me to something really worth grumbling about...paper-piecing. Yesterday's bout reminded me why I hate paper-piecing so much. First, there's the mess, and the waste, and the pieces that are too small. But the worst part is realizing a couple of pieces down the road that you should have used a different color back there, and there's really no way to fix it. That's what happened yesterday on the first section of the day. See the little black piece marked with an arrow?


I was several steps down the road when I realized I'd used red where I should have used black. I tried unsuccessfully to fix just that one piece, but then ended up backing up several steps and starting over with it. At least I didn't have to reprint the paper, which brings a whole other level of frustration to this process. I print on newsprint to make the paper easier to remove, but my printer doesn't like it, and it won't feed through. I have to tape the newsprint to a regular sheet of copy paper and then run them through together. Don't even get me started on how long it took to print all the pages of the pattern.

Once I had that first section done, the rest went pretty well, but I was already in a seriously bad mood. I think I was already anticipating this morning's lack of coffee.


And there was time left for another section.


And another.


And that's where I left it for the day. The pattern can be sewn together in two halves, and then the halves sewn together to complete the whole. I have just one section left on the first half, which should be easy enough to finish today. After that, there are just six more sections, and so I'm confident I can finish it off by tomorrow.



Also, I wasn't sure what I was going to use for the back, and so I took a little stroll in Ye Online Fabric Shoppe last night and came away with two yards of this:


Perfect, huh? I really didn't need two yards, but it'll make a cute Quilts for Kids quilt one of these days.

There was another new recipe in the kitchen, and it took some time. It was a way to use Fava beans, one of the mystery CSA vegetables...a mystery because I never know what to do with them. I've been holding on to this recipe for at least a year, waiting for the expected Fava beans to make an appearance. This is Beer-Braised Chicken Stew with Fava Beans and Peas, and it was pretty darned good.


I'm not a beer drinker, and so when the recipe called for a "Belgian Beer," I had no idea what that meant. Mike informed me we had a bottle of Fat Tire in our refrigerator, which turned out to be exactly the right thing. It has a mild flavor, and even someone who doesn't care for beer (that would be me) liked this dish. I made it just as the recipe suggested, using boneless, skinless chicken thighs.

And I really shouldn't be talking about food because I'm hungry, and I'm missing my coffee. In fact, I'm downright Depresso.


Fortunately, I have a little cat waiting for me downstairs.


She's not depresso...she's just comfy. Time for some slow-stitching.

13 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Well, I hope by the time you're reading this that your coffee has purrcolated and that you are, shall we say, purrked up a bit!

Katie said...

I, too, detest paper piecing for many of the reasons you've outlined. But the zebra is looking quite nice, despite your troubles. But quilting while hungry can be a bad thing...I just sewed a churn dash backwards...not to rub it in, but I'm gonna take a break and eat lunch...while I wait for the plumber to show up and unclog my shower drain because standing in the water you used to bathe is not the best idea out there! Hi Sadie!

Julierose said...

Good for you to hang in there with the paper piecing...it's looking good, coming along. As my Mom would say:"This, too, shall pass"...;)))
Hugs, Julierose

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Pretty zebra! Enjoy your coffee tomorrow morning 😉

Frog Quilter said...

All your projects you post everyday day are beautiful. Pretty plates. What are Fava Beans? Is it like a Lima?

Sending you some wireless caffeine lol.

quiltzyx said...

Sorry your caffeination was delayed due to drawing of that red stuff. Poor Barbara!

Go Zebra Go!! It will be quite striking with the red background.

I don't think I've ever eaten fava beans. They do look like Lima beans, don't they? I always liked Lima beans when I was a kiddie - I called them "little potatoes". :)

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I know that Perkatory well. Fasting tests require one to stay in bed until just time to leave to get to the lab when they open. Hopefully the lab got your order and you don't have to go back another day...just sayin'.

I'm not sure I AM going to try that paper piecing thing. Waste. That's the verb that turned me off. But your project is coming along nicely. Your kitty looks so comfortable. Those are the times we hate to disturb or dogs. Especially when they are on our recliners laying next to us and we wait too long to take a necessary trip down the hall.
xx, Carol

piecefulwendy said...

Well, by this time I assume you are well caffeinated and perkatory is behind you. That zebra is looking pretty darned good, if you ask me. Paper piecing is on my docket today too, after I finish the last of binding seven placemats (oy). I'm trying to catch up on deadline stuff; it's slow going!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

You are really tempting me with this Zebra pattern. Sadie looks so relaxed - tickle that tummy!

ckrut said...

Love the zebra, and that chicken looks yummy, but that picture of Sadie is the sweetest thing I've seen today!

kc said...

Cheap as I am, I invested in a couple packs of Carol Doak foundation paper (purchased on Amazon, of course) for all my paper piecing projects. What a difference it made!!! It's unprinted newpaper weight, but it feeds through the printer beautifully. Tears away easily, but it holds up under multiple stitchings...cuz, yeah, I've made my share of incorrect stitchings and fabric choices too. If you don't mind me asking, what made you choose a zebra block? It seems just a bit out of your usual genre....inquiring minds want to know!

mangozz said...

Your chicken stew looks wonderful!I love chicken thighs but not beer, and I don't believe I ever had fava beans or saffron. Your zebra is looking good. I haven't tried paper piecing yet although it seems really precise. It does seem to waste a lot of fabric though. I love the photo of your kitty on that gorgeous quilt!

QuiltGranma said...

Perhaps if you cut freezer paper to size and fused your newsprint to the shiny side it might be easier to print, without all that taping to the printer paper? just an idea here.