6/28/19

Sleepwalking

After a terrible night of sleep the night before, not much happened yesterday. I left to get my monthly pedicure, and then pretty much bagged the rest of my plans for the day. When I got home, I took a nice long nap. Sadie thought napping was an excellent way to spend the day.


There was a little time left at the end of the day to finish off Clementine's pawtrait. I was able to find the fabric I was looking for, and finish adding the borders. Just wait a moment, and I'll show you a picture of the whole thing. This too shall pass.


There we go. The background fabric is from the quilt back for Wind in the Whiskers. The stop border is from some sky fabric for the same quilt, and the outer border, is the same border fabric. Those McKenna Ryan fabrics are expensive, and so I'm glad to be able to use them.


It ends up at 15 x 14.5 inches. Also, I cut some strips for the binding. You can see them on the left side of the image below.


This is the fabric I'll use for the back. I have a fat quarter of this small scale print.


Here's a close-up of what it is.


Smitty thinks this makes an excellent mat for taking care of one's purrsonal hygiene.


So, the back fabric is trimmed, but I'll set it aside for a bit. I've spray-basted the quilt top to a scrap of batting, and today (if I have time), I'll start top-stitching down the applique. I do this through the batting, but I'll leave the quilt back off for the time being.


When the top-stitching is finished. I'll do some thread-painting to add in details. I'll stitch in some lines for the whiskers, eyebrows, and fuzziness for the fur. This is where it stands today.

In catio decorating news, we ordered a wooden ladder for the kitties and purchased a short board to create a catwalk for them. Since they're confined to the catio for the time being, we thought it might help generate some interest. I've seen cats climb ladders many times, and it seemed like a way for them to get some more exercise.


The chair is kind of taking up space, and no one sits there, so we'll be removing that. We hoped they might be enticed to climb the ladder and use the catwalk. But did you actually think they would perform on command? No, of course not.


Also, they're highly suspicious of all of this. The next thing you know, one of them will end up in a crate for a trip to the vet, and so they're eyeing this ladder business with great suspicion. Looks like the housekeeper needs to come out and do some sweeping up. BTW, the cord there next to Sadie plugs in during the winter and there is a heating pad inside the little house they can use.

When I looked out later, I thought I might find someone on the catwalk, but no. Nevertheless, it is unusual to see Sadie occupying what is usually Smitty's throne.


It was a pretty sunrise this morning. We got over half an inch of rain yesterday. We're expecting dry weather today, but a little more rain on Monday.


This morning I have to go to court. Yes, that's right. I've sinned. Our neighboring little town of Sherwood has some snazzy new photo-radar speed traps set up, and who knew? Well, not me, because I got caught. I would never run a red light intentionally, but I'll admit to driving faster than the speed limit...regularly...and so it's probably just desserts that I got caught. And I'll grant the town of Sherwood its due because it's caused me to slow down in that section of highway that runs through their high-density-policing small town. Now, I set my cruise control to avoid any future entrapment. Hopefully, showing up in court will get me a reduced fine.

When that's over and I've said my mea culpa, I have some errands to run. Back home, I'm trying a couple of new recipes. If there's still time left in the day, I'll get back to working on Clementine. Either way, I should have her finished before the weekend is over.

13 comments:

Julierose said...

Nice choices for the backgrounds; you have such a good eye for color;)))
Anyway--we had a kitty (Schumee--short for Clara Schumann--can you tell we're musicians? lol) and I have a nice picture of her that I should attempt to replicate...looks hard though...
Hope you have a reduced fine ;000
and a lovely weekend...
hugs, Julierose

Sandra W said...

The pawtrait is looking great. It's amazing how they turn out so well.
Good luck in court. Will you insurance increase. I have a friend who does everything fast--cooks, sews, pickles, bakes, cans, housework--and, of course, driving. I call her the "get-away" driver and tell her she should set up a school for would-be bank robbers. I always enjoy it when I'm with her and we see a Brinks truck! ha ha.

Cathy Smith said...

My Fluff LOVES ladders! Won't stay off of one. When the kitchen was being remodeled I had to tell the contractor's crew to please lay ladders down when they were finished for the day. This was after I saw her come flying down out of the crawl space that covers the entire townhouse. No telling how many times she had gone exploring before I caught her in action!

Dorothy said...

You are really flying with Clementine's pawtrait.. You are so good at doing them.
Good luck in court :-)

QuiltE said...

Great job on Clementine's Pawtrait!
Will this be a keeper? or go to her purrents?
I was waiting for you to tell us that you enticed them to the ladder and cat walk with a catnip rub!!! :)

Katie said...

I love the background for Clementine. It's purr-fect! My kitties love ladders, but not if you tell them they are for them. Perhaps you need to demonstrate that this ladder is for the humans and then they will see fit to take it over?

Quilting Babcia said...

Ah, Sherwood, I always thought it was a good place to speed through as fast as possible. Thought the same thing about Dundee but that was a lost cause.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I just caught up on all the posts you made while I have been off to LA La land doing whatever it was the kept me away.

I am pretty darned interested in your Pawtraits. Maybe someday I'll get the nerve to give FMQ a try.

I have never seen short Calla Lily. I have only seen them about 3-4 ft high in our area and in a bright red shade. I think I'd like some of those short ones.

Your kitty porch is awesome. I don' think I would ever let them walk the neighborhood again. But then we live close to a small highway that cuts life short for animals of all kinds.

Have a happy and safe 4th.
xx, Carol

piecefulwendy said...

Those background fabrics and binding for the pawtrait look really nice; it really brings out Clementine. Clever idea with the ladder. Wonder how long they can hold off their curiosity? Sorry about the court date. Who needs that? It's going to be really high temps here, so I'm heading to my quilt room where it's cool and cozy!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

The kitty pawtrait is great. Sorry the kitties have to stay in the catio.

kc said...

Clementine has turned out AWESOME! So much personality and I know the quilting will bring her even more! The additional fabrics really enhance her colors!

Sorry about your sleeplessness...next time, give me a ping and we can commiserate together!

Oh, those darned speed traps! Revenue generators! LOL

I've been told it's time....BATH time for you know who!! Love to all

quiltzyx said...

Love the finishing fabrics for Clementine's pawtrait. I know I'll soon be upon the finished edition.

Sorry the photo-radar got you. :(

Wow, the kitties are SO LUCKY to get their very own ladder!

What a gorgeous sunrise photo!!

QuiltGranma said...

Beautiful pawtrait so far! Perhaps one of the old quilts on that chair and it would get used for sure!