6/27/19

Fusion Achieved

It sounds as if I'm building a nuclear weapon, but actually, I'm only building a widdle kitty cat. Clementine is all put together now.


It was quite a relief to have that part finished. I went searching through my green bin for a green background piece, and came out with this scrap. It was used as the quilt back for Wind in the Whiskers, and it seemed like a good choice.


I spent some time trying to choose fabrics for a stop border and an outer border last night. When Mike got home, I asked for his help. The two of us puzzled over it for about 20 minutes, and we made a final decision. Still, I'm not satisfied, and I think I'll dig around a little more today. I started thinking I probably have some of the border fabric from Wind in the Whiskers left if I can find it. And if not, I have another idea. It's still a work in progress. When I have the borders sewn on, I'll cut a piece of scrap batting and then get busy with the top-stitching.

The dreaded cast-on stitches are finished now. There were two more to do before I could move along.


The one on the right has a little unwanted loop, but they're acceptable. I can fix that one with a little tacking stitch, and no one will be the wiser. Now I've moved the hoop again, and I'll start working my way across the top. I expect I have a few more days of stitching before this is finished.


When I finished up my slow-stitching yesterday, I went outside to fill the bird feeders and do some watering. It rained later in the afternoon, and so the watering was probably a wasted effort. Just the same, I harvested the first of the red leaf lettuce from the greenhouse. We had that in a salad for dinner last night, and it was so crisp and sweet.


When I got back to sewing, I made the latest Tiny Tuesday block. This one is a Monkey Wrench.


And this next picture makes me so sad. Poor Smitty really can't understand why he has to stay inside. He hears the coyotes, but cats don't seem to understand object permanence. If he can't see or hear them, they don't exist in his mind. He whines, and whines, and whines, and he's under foot most of the day. When he's not under foot, he's sitting in the corner of his catio looking dejected.


I expect Coyote Man to come by today and check the bait he left out for the coyotes last week. Thursday seems to be his day to come. If the bait has seen activity, then he'll set traps, and presumably, things will pick up speed then. He'll have to check the traps every day, I expect. Fingers crossed it's all done soon, but then, I've had my fingers crossed for quite some time already. I'm not sure I can uncross them at this point.

It was a long night of little sleep last night, and so I'm tired this morning. Most of the time I sleep well, but there is the occasional night when everything conspires to keep me awake. I have a pedicure this morning, and then I'll make a short stop at the grocery store. After that, I expect to take a nice long nap. Maybe I'll get some sewing done...maybe I'll sleep the afternoon away. Time will tell.

11 comments:

Vicki W said...

Is Clementine fused to the background yet? I'm wondering how she would look with a darker value green or maybe a complementary blue.

Katie said...

Those quilts from photos never cease to amaze me. I'm quite sure my stash wouldn't lend itself well to making one, nor would my patience, so I'll just admire from afar. For now. As for Smitty, perhaps you could bring him a chipmunk inside? Gabby did that the other day (she in an indoor cat, but has an outside enclosure, complete with, apparently, a chipmunk dispenser) and let it loose. Short story - it's gone now.

Julierose said...

Oh, now Clementine is so lovely--she looks all soft and furry and serene...
I like your background; it's just enough to pick up her eye color...

It is 88 degrees here and very humid--so indoors for us...I did some stash re-arranging and a little section of my new diamond painting--
hope your weekend is wonderful hugs, Julierose P.S> curves are packed up in my drawer..."out of sight, out of mind";)))) lol

Dots said...

Beautiful cat. Can't wait to see it finished. You should make some of those up. Then the next time you go RV-ing, you could sell them. They are not common pieces. By fact, your pawtrait are the first ones I have seen before. I live in Ohio and have never seen these quilts before. So great for cat lovers!

Brown Family said...

Clementine is coming along. I hope the coyote man is too!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Clementine really standsout with that background - such a pretty face. I am so tempted with those stitchery patterns, but I have so many projects here now.

Tilly said...

Love your cat portrait, you succeeded to show the character of Clementine
very well, she looks like a shy sweet little cat.
Have a nice day.
Tilly

piecefulwendy said...

I like everything about Clementine, wouldn't change a thing. She's really coming to life! I hope Coyote Man got a lead on things and the traps are set soon. Poor Smitty. I feel for him. Wilbur has been bored lately, but he doesn't have the pleasure of going outside. He finds other ways to amuse himself, some cute, some not so much. Haha. Those embroidery stitches look great. I looked at Kathy Schmitz's site yesterday. I'm seriously tempted by her Eastmoreland pattern, but I just can't. Right?!?

Debbie said...

Clementine looks beautiful! Such wonderful eyes you have my dear. I think your stitches look great! embroidery stitches are like a finger print....each person's is slightly different. All due to tension/tautness of thread or yarn, among other things. Hoping the wild ones move on for dear Smitty and his adventures.

heartsease54 said...

Your cast on stitches are looking great and add so much to the piece! Sure hope the coyote problem gets cleared up soon, so hard to watch Smitty and Sadie be upset about staying in.

quiltzyx said...

Boy does your home-grown red leaf lettuce look good! I could make a lovely salad with that too. :)

Sad, sad Smitty. Hope the Coyote Man is successful.