6/29/19

A Kitchen Day

There was no sewing yesterday. I had a lot to do with heading for court and running errands. Also, I had some things I wanted to try out in the kitchen. It was time for me to come up for air anyway. I'll get back to stitching Clementine today. As for yesterday, I stitched the next hoopful on the sampler...


This part included the satin stitching for the Lily of the Valley at the top. In many of the places where you see French knots, I was supposed to use a bead. When it comes to embroidery, I'm kind of a purist, and so I used French knots instead. Besides...I'm not fond of sewing beads onto things. My patience for tedium only stretches so far.

When I had it that far, it was time to head off for court and hang my head in shame. My portion of the goings on in the courtroom probably took less than a minute. After that, I stood in line for at least half an hour to pay my reduced fine. It was inconvenient, but somewhat entertaining. Sometimes ya' gotta wonder what people are thinking. When I was finally able to make my escape, I had a short grocery shopping trip to do. Also, I needed gasoline, and the birds have devoured all their bird seed. That meant a stop at the feed store. All that running around had me ready for a nap when I got home.

On my grocery shopping list were fresh cherries, $1.99 per pound yesterday. Recently, I acquired an 8-inch cast iron skillet because I have several "for two" recipes that require it. I gave Mike a choice between either apple or cherry crisp, or else cherry cobbler. He chose the cherry crisp. This was so simple to put together. It required four cups of pitted cherries. It took less time than you might think to pit four cups of cherries. I made the topping in my food processor. When it came out of the oven, it looked like this. It's really a dessert for four, unless you want super-sized portions for two.


Also, I wanted to try something different with a recipe I've made before. This is Baked Rigatoni with Cauliflower in a Spicy Pink Sauce.


I made it just as directed in the recipe, but instead of baking it right away, I covered it with foil and refrigerated it for several hours. Then, when we were ready for dinner, I baked it covered in a 375°F oven for 15 minutes, then uncovered it, and baked it for another 15 minutes. That worked out great. I really love a recipe I can make ahead. I can also see putting this in ramekins and freezing portions for taking along on RV trips.

And then, of course, it was time to break into that cherry crisp. We had it with vanilla ice cream. I actually think it's illegal to eat a crisp without vanilla ice cream. Since I'd already been to court that day, I was taking no chances. If this looks good to you, you can find the recipe for Cast Iron Skillet Cherry Crisp right here, compliments of Kroger.


Today is going to be a lazy Saturday. Lazy Saturdays at the Three Cats Ranch look like this:



Mike is downstairs watching his beloved Formula One. He and Erik both like Formula One, and they often watch it in tandem while talking on their phones.

As for me, I have one small housekeeping chore to do, and then I'll get busy with Clementine. First, however, I'll get back to my slow stitching. This one is nearly finished, and the most time-consuming portions are done.


That means I'll probably spend some time tracing out the next barn quilt block today before Clementine gets her due.

The weather is looking lovely. I hope you have a nice weekend in store for yourself.

10 comments:

Sandra W said...

As I recall you do have a fancy cherry pitter! I'd never seen one like it until you showed it. That cherry dish looks yummy! I know what you mean about lazy days--my problem is I have mostly lazy days.

piecefulwendy said...

I'd do the french knots instead of beads too, even though I don't like stitching french knots. I enjoy seeing your progress. I just printed that recipe -- $1.99/pound is a great price. They are high around here. We are actually going to take a road trip to Door County in July, for cherries. I think I need to get that pitter you have, though. And I might need to consider a smaller cast iron pan (ours is 12", a heavy beast). Poor Smitty, he looks pretty chill, and pretty bored. Nasty coyotes!

Deb said...

I love how your sampler is turning out and I would do french knots too. The Cherry Crisp looks delicious as does the rigatoni and cauliflower baked dish which I need to try. Hope your Sunday is restful.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your embroidery project is so pretty - so many interesting stitches! Those recipes definitely look yummy!

quiltzyx said...

The stitchery is coming along so nicely. Very cute.

Maybe I will stop on the way home today & get some cherries - probably won't bake with them, but just eat 'em up. I have a small butternut squash to cook at home courtesy of "Davis Farms" (that's the big boss's home garden). Think I will just cut it in half, seed it, season it & bake it in the toaster oven since it's at least 89f outside now.

AnnieO said...

I'd skip the beads too--The last time I beaded anything was in the 80s, ha ha. My my, those dishes look delicious...and the kitties restful!

Miaismine said...

Your embroidery really caught my eye! Very nice! Are you following a pattern? I really like this project! Thank you for sharing!

CathieJ said...

Your stitching is really pretty. I would probably skip the beads also. Your cherry crisp has my mouth watering. Sadly I am the only sweet lover in my family so I rarely make baked goods any more.

Kate said...

The hand stitching is so pretty. Lazy Saturday's are the best. It seems we don't get those very often, so they are very precious.

Miaismine said...

I am absolutely in love with your embroidery project! It's gorgeous! Your color choices are so pretty! Lovely pictures of comfort food and comfortable cats.....Thank you for sharing!