6/30/19

Oh My Darling, Clementine

It took most of the day yesterday, but the Pawtrait of Clementine is finished. The hand-sewing for the binding was completed by late yesterday afternoon. Here she is:


Here's how she looks from the back.


When I started yesterday, there was still quite a bit to do. I used an 80/6 microtex needle and monofilament thread to stitch down all the edges of the applique pieces.


It's quite a job to do that, but it's also very forgiving. I'll be adding some "fuzz" in just a little bit, and so it's okay to travel to and from in areas that are close together. The monofilament thread is barely visible.


I do this with the batting in place, but not the quilt back. It's a little easier to see the stitching from the back side.


When that was finished, I used a metallic needle and the Bernina Stitch Regulator to sort of free motion embroider some fuzz onto the cat. I use the original image as a guide for where to put fuzz. Any place that shows fuzzy on the image, or any place that might need lightening or darkening is fair game. By the way, you don't need a stitch regulator for this. If you ever want to give this a try, just set your machine up for free motion quilting, and you'll be good to go.


When I was finished with the fuzz, it looked like this:


From there, I just needed to add eyebrows and whiskers. For that I continued with the same needle, but switched to a rayon thread for a little extra shine. Also, I added some French knots to the eyes for the "eye spot." Adding in the reflection to the eyes brings them to life.


From there, I added the quilt back and then quilted the area around Clementine and also the outer border.


As you might guess, I was getting a lot of help with this process. Now how did that can end up on the floor? I could swear I left it there on the table near Smitty. Weird!


Finally, it was ready for binding. I was getting kind of tired of sewing by then, but I sat upstairs and finished it off.


Ta-Da!


Earlier in the day, I took a cue from a few of you and tried enticing the kitties onto the ladder and cat walk with some kitty treats and some dried catnip.


That worked like a charm. Within an hour, I caught Sadie through the laundry room window.


Yes? Is there something you need?


This turned out to be a bad idea though because the squirrels found the food too. One of them was able to flatten himself out and crawl into the catio via the little holes we put for drainage. While there, Smitty caught him and brought him into the house. Fortunately, Mike saw the whole thing happen. We were able to corral Smitty in Mike's office. I picked him up and removed him to another part of the house. Then, we left the door open and the squirrel skedaddled. Later, I removed the chair from the catio and rearranged the ladder and cat walk. Smitty is still boycatting it, and he was totally bummed about losing the squirrel. He hasn't had a good meal in weeks.


Coyote Man left me a message yesterday, saying he'd been sick all week and that was his reason for not coming out. He said he would be here tomorrow to set some traps. Let's hope so because my patience is running on empty about now.

Mike and I took a little trip into town yesterday. As we were leaving home, I noticed these wild tiger lilies blooming at the edge of our driveway.


After dinner, it was a nice evening, and so we sat outside for a while. I walked around and took pictures of every blooming thing. It took about half a dozen shots to get this bumble bee in focus. Even then, I was only partially successful. But look at the color of the lavender. Oh my gosh...it is so pretty!


And check out the calla lilies. There is still one more blossom. You can barely see it to the right of the large blossom on the left side of the image. (To the right of the left...got it?)


Also, there are blossoms on the zucchini now. It's looking a little mud splattered after the rain a couple of days ago.


Okay, so the orangy-yellow echinacea turned out to be pink after all.


This one is supposed to be purple...but not quite.


The daylilies are blooming with wild abandon.


And the hydrangea are working up to taking their place as the stars of the garden.


Their neighbor is also getting started.


In slow-stitching, I stitched up the left side of my hoop yesterday.


I hoped I could encompass the last of it when I moved the hoop, but I wasn't quite there. This morning, I stitched the feather and zigzag stitches. Those are kind of fun.


And now I've moved the hoop to encompass the last of it. I should have this one finished by tomorrow.


So that means I'll be making up the next barn quilt block today. Also, there's one day left in June, and all of my goals for the month are complete. I'll probably get a head start on July's monthlies by making the two CTC sew-along blocks today. Tomorrow will be July 1st, and so it'll be time to start back at the beginning with those monthly blocks.

It's a pretty and sunny day out. Probably it's a good day to get out and do a little weeding. For sure, the birds need feeding. What's on your list for Sunday?

18 comments:

Sally Trude said...

Clementine has come under Sadie’s spell with a bit of a pugnacious stare. And Molly share’s Smitty’s disappointment that you didn’t leave out a beverage for his gravity experiment. And now Molly wants a house squirrel.

Julierose said...

Clementine is certainly "darling"..love those whiskers and the eyes look
so realistic...beautiful job on her...
Coyote Man seems hard to pin down! Well, maybe he WAS sick after all; we find it really difficult to get anyone to come out for work around here--they advertise, but seem loath to really work...too busy working big jobs, i think...
Anyway, hope he appears soon and your kitties can resume their normal lives...
hugs, Julierose

Cathy Smith said...

I REALLY like the way you quilted the background leaves and tendrils around Clementine! They were the perfect choice. You have truly become the master of the pawtrait!

Katie said...

Clementine is amazing! But I am over here giggling about the squirrel. Since we recently had a chipmunk in residence (I'm pretty sure he was forcibly obtained), I understand that panic. A few of the cats did have a good round of fun it...and a few just slept through it...but I'm just glad we are both living rodent-free again.

QuiltShopGal said...

I absolutely love your Pawtrait of Clementine. I do so hope you'll enter it in the annual Pets On Quilts Show (hosted by Lily Pad Quilting) and also enter it in some physical shows too! Too stunning to not share and inspire others. Purrfect.

Shirley said...

Clementine is absolutely beautiful!!! You do such a wonderful job on the pet portraits. It is amazing how you capture the likeness. Love the saga of Smitty and Sadie and outdoor play.

quiltzyx said...

So your catio has a squirrel dispenser, eh? I wonder if the squirrel will try for the food again after it was rescued & released?

Lovely flower photos, such beautiful colors!

djquilting said...

Clementine is absolutely gorgeous and the quilting is just right.

Maybe you and Mike should learn how to trap coyotes. Even with the learning curve, you would have resolved this problem by now. We live in a rural area and my hubby has trapped many, many over the years. Cats will be so happy when coyotes are gone.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great pawtrait. Poor Smitty.

Janarama said...

Thanks for the earworm Barbara. ;) You have the patience of a saint making these pawtraits with all of the tedious cutting and the stitching around all of the raw edges on such small pieces. I thought I had patience, but not for this type of work.

Clementine's pawtrait is really beautiful. You really have this technique down pat.

Poor Smitty ... he wants a furry pet too!

Cathy said...

The Clementine pawtrait turned out beautifully! You always make it look so easy, but we know that it takes a lot of work and talent to pull it off. Way to go! Your story of Smitty and the Squirrel (June 2019 episode) is hilarious. I wouldn’t be surprised if more items end up mysteriously falling to the floor when Himself is nearby. Just on general principle.

Kathy H said...

Clementine’s pawtrait came out great. I love the background stitching too. It has been fun following your progress.

piecefulwendy said...

Well, at least Smitty got a little excitement with the entrance of the squirrel, but glad you re-routed the little fella back outdoors. I'm sure Smitty would've loved a little squirrel burger for a meal. That purple flower is gorgeous! Sunday was just piecing a top for me. My quilt room is in dire need of cleaning, so I may do that in between appointments and meetings today. Clementine really finished up well! When you use monofilament, what do you use in the bobbin?

Natureluvr57 said...

I came inside and Bear was chattering away at me-she's a talker. I looked down and there was a fly on the edge of my desk. I'm surprised the blinds weren't torn down because the cats fly through the air after them and last year we had to replace the blinds twice. No Lovelor blinds for me-Walmart cheapies. My blue hydrangea is beautiful and more blue than ever before because I poured a LOT of the bluing agent into the soil, added more soil and Rose Tone. Guess it's happy. I also heard a tip from a Flosstube lady that you cut the hydrangea and stick about 1/2 inch of the stem into Alum. It's supposed to keep the color from fading and when you're finished enjoying your bouquet you can hang them upside down to dry. So far, so good. I just tried one so I stuck it into a glass soda bottle (Coca Cola Georgia Peach is awesome). She said a florist told her. Back to fly hunting. Don't know if I could handle 4 cats chasing down a squirrel.

Dots said...

Clementine does not disappoint! Your color choices are great. Each time I have seen your process go from paper to fabric I am just amazed. Clementine is a beauty. Another great quilt.

Vicki W said...

Clementine turned out great!

Kate said...

Your kitty pawtraits are also so cool. Clementine's turned out beautifully. Such adventures Smitty has, even when he's cooped up. Hope the coyote guy's traps work quickly.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Your kitty portrait is wonderful. I really should tackle learning FMQ. Wow, those drainage openings are pretty small. But for squirrels, where there is a will there is a way. You were lucky to get it back from your kitty. We had a cat that would fight to the death to keep his capture. I enjoy your kitty posts and always enjoy your garden right along with your stitching. My Day Lily are in full bloom. They are my very favorite flower in the pond area. I wish they bloomed all summer long.
Have a safe 4th.
xx, Carol