3/10/19

Oh Happy Day!

Except for hand-sewing the binding, the flamingo quilt is finished! There was just a little bit to quilt yesterday. As long as we were visiting Florida, I had the fronds of palm trees on my mind...or maybe palmettos. I'm not sure which. But with that in mind, I quilted some fronds into the aqua area in the upper right corner...


And then, because I liked the looks of it, I decided to use the same thread and the same motif in the border. Here, I wanted to use a thread color and design that wouldn't hide or compete with that pretty fabric.


When I added on the binding, already cut, I was glad for the choice of thread color.


And then it was finished. Ta-da!


So, now I'll kit it up and take it on our upcoming trip. It'll be a good take-along project to finish the hand sewing on the road.

After that, we had a couple of wine club shipments to pick up from local wineries. Our first stop was Domaine Drouhn. By then, it had turned into a beautiful day.


The vines are looking pretty sparse right now, but they'll be growing soon enough. I've taken pictures of the local wineries at different times of the year. Here's the same photograph taken in the fall.


Our next stop was Sokol-Blossor. They always have flowers blooming, and it doesn't seem to matter what time of the year it is. These were a sight for sore eyes.




Here's another shot I've taken at different times of the year. This one is from yesterday:


Here's one taken in the fall:


Also yesterday, I finished up the latest section of the Bunny Garden.


Now I've moved the hoop to the left. That bunny will be happy to have the rest of his body. He'd like to eat that carrot, but without a tummy, what's a bunny to do? And this being Sunday, I'll link up to


Today I'll need to get at some housework. It's been suffering through the flamingo quilting with me. There are just a couple of tasks I want to complete in the sewing room before we go. The monthly commitments are finished except for the Moda Countdown to Christmas blocks. I'd like to finish two of those, and I need to trace out a couple of embroidery blocks to take along. That should be enough to keep me busy for a couple of days.

13 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Yes the bunny definitely needs a tummy :)
So interesting to see the same landscape in different seasons.
Enjoy your binding on the road and your bunny embroidery!
Thanks for linking up!

Junebug613 said...

Fantastic work on the Flamingos! And the bunnies are coming along nicely! I'm really behind in my reading. I don't spend as much time online as I was, with my previous job. Excited to see your newest adventure pictures.

The Cozy Quilter said...

The bunnies here like beets and carrots! Cute embroidery! Have fun stitching the binding in the car.

Quilting Babcia said...

It's always amazing to see the life quilting brings to a quilt! Fabulous finish, and your quilting motifs were perfect. Yes, bunny needs a tummy. Thanks for the vineyard photos. Maybe we'll make it out there again this fall, time will tell.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Your border motif is perfect, lovely quilt!!

Deb said...

It's always a pleasure to see what you are stitching, the Flamingo is just beautiful, I love the bright colors. The bunny embroidery is sweet.

djquilting said...

Such a great job you did on the quilting of the flamingos. Beautiful quilt.

quiltzyx said...

I think the palm-ish motifs work just right for the aqua corner & the borders. You're going to have plenty of handwork to keep you busy on your trip it looks like!

Surely does look like a beautiful day for your winery pick-ups. Fun to see the same areas at different times of the year.


Faye said...

Your flamingo is amazing!
I like the bunnies too. So cute

Debbie said...

Your flamingos turned out beautiful! You made good choices for the quilting and finishing. And the beautiful comparison photos are great!

piecefulwendy said...

I've been reading your posts while I was gone, but I couldn't comment. (I need to get set up to do that on my phone, and I only remember when I'm away from home without my password!) How fun that your flamingo quilt is done, and so fun with all the quilting! Love seeing all the spring flowers. I sure hope we get spring here soon; it's supposed to be 42 on Thursday, so that's a good sign.

Kate said...

Love the flamingos! That turned out perfectly! Do you have a home picked out for it yet?

Brown Family said...

Flamingos are stunning! so are all the blooming things!