3/11/19

Just Kitting Around

It was a slow day yesterday. A day for catching up and planning ahead. My housework was caught up for about five minutes, and then I spent the day thinking about our upcoming trip. Lists have been made and kits are put together for my take-along projects.

First, however, I did some more work on the bunny garden. The bunny doesn't have his tummy yet, but he'll get it today. Where the carrot is missing at the bottom, there will be a carrot button.


You might remember this little pack of buttons. The snail will go farther up on the piece.


I was intentionally stitching from the bottom up so that I could move the hoop to encompass the last of it. Now it's all there, and I expect to have this finished this morning.


After that, I got to work tracing out my next two embroidery blocks. This is the fourth of 12 barns for the Appalachian Memories quilt.


When the tracing was finished, I colored in the barn quilt. Now that I've learned to work with colored pencils, I'm wishing I'd started this one with pencil. It might not matter one bit, but I like to be consistent from block to block, and so these blocks will be done all in crayon. Trying to be precise in all those little block pieces with a dull crayon is a bit of a challenge.


Between the embroidery sampler, the quilt binding, and this barn quilt block, I should have more than enough to keep me busy on the road. But just to be sure, I made up the last of the Friendship's Garden blocks. You never want to have a stitching emergency on the road, and so I think I have plenty for our trip now.


If I were to take my projects completely in order, I'd be starting a new one instead of finishing off this last block. The new project I'm starting is one from Anni Downs at Hatched and Patched. This project is called "Dancing Chickens and Flying Pigs."


I'm excited to get started on it, but the blocks include applique, and so I'll have to make the block before I can start the embroidery. I'm hoping I'll have time in the next few days to prepare the first block, and then it'll be ready to go when we get back.

Next up in the sewing room is to make at least two blocks for the CTC sew-along at Mama Spark's World. I might even decide to make a third one. The rest of the next few days will be spent getting ready to travel. It's going to be the first long trip we've taken in the new RV. Yesterday, we spent some time talking about our itinerary. Death Valley National Park is the destination of our desire, but there is a super bloom going on in Southern California right now, including the Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve. You might recall our visit from a couple of years ago when the poppies were already bloomed out. This time, we'll be hitting the bloom with near-perfect timing, and so that will be our first stop. We're both getting excited about heading out.

But first things first. Bunnies need tummies, and kitties need loving, and that's what I'll be doing this morning. What's on your agenda now that you've sprung ahead?

5 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I've seen some of the BLOOM on facebook and it is spectacular. This will be a lovely trip and you are well in hand (ha) with the prepped work for the road.

quiltzyx said...

As far as the Poppy Reserve goes, I believe it's still a few weeks away from blooming. Mark Wallengren, from KOST radio went up there over the weekend & said it's green, but not many poppies. (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10217190078757917&set=a.3755108750136&type=3&theater) Maybe on the way back?
That little bunny probably has his tummy now & is ready to munch that carrot right in front of him. :) Those buttons are perfect for that one too.
It took a while to find the dancing chickens on your new one! Found the flying pigs right away. And even a little camping trailer - what fun!



Kate said...

You get so much handwork done each week. It's fun to see your progress on each project. Looks like you'll be well prepared for stitching time on your trip.

piecefulwendy said...

Looks like you are stocked up and ready to roll! So many fun projects to stitch. I like the way the colored pencils work on the barn quilt. I'm going to have to try that sometime!

Brown Family said...

YOu have plenty of slow stitching to do for your trip!