3/9/19

Snow in Florida

Actually, I'm not aware of any snow in Florida. But my quilting adventures of yesterday took me to Florida, despite the weather outside. This was my view for most of the day yesterday.


As for Florida, I'm quilting the flamingos created from a photograph I took while we were visiting Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park near Crystal River, Florida last year. Our friends Dick and Karen toured this place with us, and it was a fabulous visit.


After hunting for weeks to find visible manatees, we were finally able to see them here. We'd seen plenty in waters too murky for viewing, and so this was one big bucket list item crossed off.


It was here I took the picture that would become the flamingo quilt. It's been cropped to include just the two birds in the middle. I dearly wanted to include the bird on the left, but it made the quilt more difficult. They were laughing at a joke.


So here's the joke I heard them telling:
Q: What do birds do for fun on weekends?
A: Play fla-bingo.
Yeah...I made that last part up.

Okay, so no more fooling around. It's time to get quilting. The foot dragging that went on getting to this quilt nearly wore out the carpet. I so feared effing it up. The pink flamingo was already started, and so I continued on with him. There wasn't a lot to do there...just filling in with feathers.


But here's the acid test. How does it look from the back?


Hey! Not bad at all. And so I felt off and running at that. Next, I decided to quilt the eyes. This was pretty simple. I just stitched some radiating lines for the iris. Do flamingos' eyes look this way? I don't know, but my flamingos do. When you're using a flower for an eye, you give yourself some poetic license.


Here's how that looks from the back.


Okay, and then it was time to stitch the orange flamingo. I first stitched a feather encircling the eyeball.


From there, I started a new feather. This is probably the longest feather in history. It started just below the eyeball, extended down the neck, then to the left on the bird's body, and then spiraled around the outside of the body and continued into the center until the whole thing was filled in.


Phew! I think I took a break for lunch in the middle of that.

From there, I switched to black thread and just quilted some back and forth lines into the beaks.


For the orange bird, I switched to a deep reddish-maroon thread and did some elongated pebbling for the tongue.


Okay, now here was where the rubber met the road. I was so afraid to quilt the background because I was using white thread against a white background, but still using the same darker variegated thread on the back. I didn't want any of that dark thread pulling to the top. Also...I had to draw this bird. Can you see it? I think it's supposed to be a gull, but we'll just pretend it's a flamingo, okay? Dust off your imagination for this.


And because I'm terrible at drawing, I could only do this in one direction. That meant retracing my path with some humps. They just added to the appearance of clouds. When it was all done, it looked like this.


You have no idea the trepidation I felt at doing that part. This would have been finished a week ago had my gonads been a little larger. By day's end, it was all done except the aqua portion in the upper right and the border.


I'll admit as of this writing, I'm still kind of stuck on the border. It's such a pretty fabric. I'm afraid quilting it too much will lose the pattern. Also...what color should it be? That's rhetorical. I'm leaning toward a light pink. Also, I have an aqua colored thread that matches the aqua portion in the upper right. I could see using that too. My binding strips are aqua (I'm thinking as I'm writing). Aqua might be a good choice. You'll find out with the exciting conclusion in tomorrow's post.

Of course, I owe any quilting success to my quilting buddy. She was my little companion for a good part of the day.


The day went so well, I felt like celebrating with these little Warm Carrot Cakes with Cream Cheese Sauce. You might recall I made this a couple of weeks ago, but I had the wrong size ramekins. Since then, I've acquired the right size, and they turned out so cute. They're the size of a cupcake, and you could make them in a cupcake tin if you like. We had them for dessert with the cream cheese sauce. They're really simple to make and so tasty, you'll be glad there is only one serving per person. And here's something to consider: With the carrot in there, you can think of them as a vegetable if you like. Healthy and low calorie.


Okay, so more snow fell overnight. When we looked out this morning, it looked like this:


For as much as snow is unwelcome here in March, it is very pretty outside.


Some critter, not a cat, has been wandering through. It looks like a raccoon to me. Sorry, buddy. You're too early to eat the cherries.


The heather are doing their part for every blooming thing. At least somebody's ready for spring.


I know I am.

Today we need to go pick up a wine shipment. I think I'll be finishing up another section of the Bunny Garden this morning. After that, I'll get back to the quilting. I'm hoping to have the binding sewn on by day's end.

11 comments:

Charlotte M. said...

The feathers look wonderful Barbara. I think you did a fine job on the background too. Here's to more sunshine and warmer days ahead.

gpc said...

Clearly flamingos will laugh at anything. But the quilt is turning out really well. We have snow here, too, of course, but no blooming heather. The heather is lovely in the snow. I will be happy to see whatever harsh signs of spring we eventually get.

Lady Jane said...

What a wonderful job you are doing on your flamingo quilt. It is going to be beautiful and so artistic. hugs, lj

crazy quilter said...

The flamingos turned out so wonderful! You did an outstanding job on this . I just love this one so much. Yes you need a glimpse of Florida with all that snow. Where the heck is spring in your neck of the woods? It was an absolutely beautiful day in North Texas. A little windy but the temps wer in the mid 70’s so pleasant. Sorry for your cold hopefully it will move on very soon.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

You do go to town when you get in the quilting mode. You can keep the snow - we've had sunshine the past few days with slightly warmer temps.

Kate said...

Love your flamingos! The quilting is beautiful. I'm so ready for spring. We had thunderstorms yesterday. Not my favorite weather event, but it was in the 40's when we got up, not the 20s! Maybe spring is coming?

quiltzyx said...

The flamingos look even better with all the texture your quilting has given them. Yep, this is one of my favorites!

QuiltGranma said...

Your flamingos look wonderful, having a great time laughing at their joke. Love your border fabric and the backing is just delishous! I looked at our long (10 day forecast) and no more snow is expected here in NE Central OR, so hopefully you too will soon be out of that stuff! We had a total of 10 inches built up. Like the Wicked Witch of the West it has been crying, "I'm melting! I'm melting!"

Brown Family said...

Your feathers are awesome! I can't believe how much snow you have had!

kc said...

You're right - there's no snow in FL at the moment. As a matter of fact, we have set some record high temps these last couple of weeks. Works for me! Our neighbors 2 lots down left a few days ago, and they're currently in Williams, AZ. They sent me a picture of a man and his dog, and neither looked particularly happy. He was wearing ear muffs, there was that white stuff on the ground and the accompanying text told me he'd lost his mittens! I don't know how so many things can get so lost in just under 400 square feet, but I know from experience, that they can. They bought another pair, pretty much guaranteeing the original pair would show back up in just a day or two. The next day, after the snow picture came, they sent another one - this time, it was the grab bar, fully encased in ICE! and the message that it was 15 degrees!!! Meanwhile, we were "suffering" through the 70s. We don't leave for another couple of weeks, and even then, we are smart enough not to go where it's that cold!

I fondly recall the Wildlife Park; it is one of my favorite places and I was glad you could spare a day to enjoy it with us. I'll miss it a lot when we leave. And the manatees, I'll miss them a lot too!

Your flamingos appear to be having lots of fun, and they are every bit as cute as the real life ones. Your feathers are done beautifully. I know you're traveling now, so no need to worry about responding...just have fun and be safe. :) I'll send pics of the new coach when we pick it up, hopefully next week!! Can't wait to see what we built!

beaquilter said...

Great pics! Love the snow....
Do you know why flamingos stand on one leg?