2/25/19

Sew Many Stitches

We were pretty lucky weather-wise with our trip to Cannon Beach, Oregon, this past weekend. We threaded the needle between snow storms. Snow flakes were falling as we pulled out from home, but the temperature was above freezing. Snow fell while we were gone, but the roads were clear on our drive home. We were expecting snow last night, and it did not disappoint. This is the view from my office window this morning.


Backing up to Friday afternoon, we were most curious about this heavy wooden cutting board added to the RV since our last trip. I'll say I'm kind of picky about my cutting boards. At home, I have a nice wood Boos Block, and I miss the heavy wood when we're on the road. The new RV has lots of counter space, and so I wanted a good cutting board for the counter. Since we hadn't traveled with it before, we weren't sure it would stay put going down the road. It's pretty, no?


Underneath is some non-skid shelf liner, and this works well on the right surface. The counter tops are a solid surface, and so we thought it would work.


To be safe, we moved both cutting board and shelf liner to the floor for our first trip. When we opened the door upon arrival, neither had moved even a fraction of an inch. We took the chance of leaving it on the counter for the trip home, and it traveled just fine there. So that was a bit of good news.

We hadn't yet used this cutting board, and so it lost its virginity Saturday evening when we cut up limes to have with our shots of tequila.


We missed the kitties...sort of...while we were gone. Instead, we made do with the little kitty mug mat my friend Lana made. I want to make a table topper for this table, but I haven't even come up with an idea for that yet.


This was my view for most of the weekend. I was barely started and turned the first corner when it was time to leave for our dinner at EVOO.


It's such a fun evening there, and the wine flows freely.


EVOO features a dinner "show" where the food is cooked right in front of you. It's a little like watching the Food Network, only you get to eat the food as you go along. This was the first course.



Second course. This was our favorite. Even kale-hater Mike loved this dish.



This was our third course.



And finally, the dessert course. The little scoop of cherries jubilee had whole cherries in it.



Okay, so that was the whole reason for our trip. The rest of the time, we napped, ate, and lazed about.

Saturday's inchy had more of the dreaded cast-on stitches. These are actually easier for me than the bullion stitches.


Saturday morning I turned the second corner on Hocuspocusville.


After that, we headed out to walk the main drag in Cannon Beach. The weather was cooperative, but we decided not to hike, remembering our last trip to Cannon Beach. The hiking trail last trip was so muddy and slippery it was downright dangerous, and so we stuck to walking in town. Of course, we took note of the tsunami evacuation route. One never knows when a tsunami will strike, and so we take no chances with such things.


Cannon Beach is a nice touristy little town filled with restaurants and galleries. It's simple to walk from one end to the other. There were too many parked cars to get a very good picture, but this next image will give you a flavor for what it looks like. Pretty much the whole town looks just like this:


This is the entrance to the library. Looks inviting, doesn't it?


Of course, I took pictures of every blooming thing.








Oh wait...that last picture was taken outside a gallery. Inside they had some fabulous works of art by local artists. I only took pictures of the cats.





Heading on down the road, we pulled off to get a picture of Haystack Rock. This picture pretty much symbolizes Cannon Beach.


Backing off a little, you can see the "needles" a little better.


Haystack rock is a rookery for seabirds of all kinds, including puffins...


which explains my choice of this refrigerator magnet.


Once back at the RV, I stitched around the third corner of Hocuspocusville.


Sunday morning, I stitched up the morning's inchy. This one is closely spaced buttonhole stitch.


And then I stitched around the fourth corner of Hocuspocusville, and I had myself a finish!


The first hand embroidery stitches on this quilt were taken way back in July of 2015. Of course, it's been a finished flimsy for well over a year, and so it's good to finally take it over the finish line. It measures 68 x 68 inches.

After that, it was time to head for home. The first thing I did was to rip off a hunk of bread dough to bake some bread for our dinner last night. I'd taken some frozen leftover roasted vegetable soup from the freezer before we left, and that made a nice comfort food dinner for a cold night.


Since I'm still experimenting, I tried baking this loaf in a Dutch oven to see if the crust would be any "crustier." If anything, it was softer, and so baking it on the baking sheet is a better way to go. Inside, it looked like this. We really love the sourdough tang of this loaf.


This morning I stitched up the morning's inchy. This one contained the dreaded bullion stitches, but I stitched 'em up like a boss.


And there you are...up to date...and I am too.

We're out of coffee, and so I really need to get to the grocery store today. Snow is still falling, however. The roads in town are just wet pavement, but getting off our hill is a little iffy. I'm hoping it will warm up a little by this afternoon. Mike is working from home today, and so I might get him to drive into town with me. (He's more sure and certain on slippery roads than I am.)

On the sewing front, I want to make last week's Tiny Tuesday block. If I finish that, I've decided to finish off the last two blocks for Chicken Buffet. With the blocks so close to being finished, it seems silly to put it off any longer. All my monthlies for February are finished, and so the rest of the month will be for play.

12 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Congratulations on your Hocus-pocus-ville finish! All those inches are going to make a sweet little sampler quilt. Our windstorm continues, blowing the snow in a straight horizontal line when it isn't whipping up snow-devils in the fields. Pretty much white-out conditions while driving into town this morning for my haircut appt.

Julierose said...

HE-l-l-ooo from windy SE CT coast--ykes--talk about gusts..windows rattling--makes me anxious...but i managed to sew a little bit ([without sewing my fingers yay] this morning and then Thom diced veggies for my
crockpot beef stroganoff for tonight's dinner--hoping the power doesn't go out..as it's simmering nicely...
Your Hocuspocus piece turned out so beautifully...I just love the whole thing...beautiful workmanship...
Hugs from "Hold onto your Hat CT" Julierose

Janarama said...

Hocuspocusville is another quilt destined to win a ribbon. It's beautiful! Is that a heart carved on your loaf of bread? Too cute.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I was curious about the weather for your weekend and glad it all worked out. I'm sure the kitties were excited to see you back home - or maybe they were miffed.

gpc said...

I love that binding, and the fancy new embroidery stitches were worth your effort - they are beautiful. You are far more adventurous with food than I am, with more options than we see in these here parts, but what a fun trip. (always good to know your evacuation route, in all areas of life, says I.) And what a perfect homecoming supper. Yum.

Sandra W said...

Your quilt looks great. And it looks like you had a good time on your week end.

SJSM said...

If we ever decide to travel towards the beach when we visit the Portland Area we must put Cannon and EVOO on our list of ideas. That place looks like a real treat. Good for you getting your quilt bound. It feels so good to get another project to the finish line. We are bracing for a stormy week. The sump pump is iffy and we hope to get it replaced before things get too dicey.

piecefulwendy said...

EVOO looks like a fun experience. I'd like to just linger over the second course, because I love Pinot Noir wines. Someday I'd like to see Haystack Rock, and a stroll through the town looks like fun as well. Love the striped border on Hocus Pocus, and the little inchy is so well done! The bread looks delicious. Did you get your coffee?

quiltzyx said...

Congrats on your "spooky" finish while you were on your EVOO trip!

Dinner sounds lovely - I'm so glad you get to enjoy yourselves like that. :)

Holy moly does your bread LOOK like it is delicious!! Love the heart on the top. Where's my buttah???!!

JoannU said...

Barbara, I love your posts so much! I am a quilter in the Portland area, and Cannon Beach is our get-away destination of choice too. In fact, we are going there Thursday, where I am looking forward to spending time (and $$!) at Center Diamond, the beautiful quilt store. Hopefully, the weather will warm up a little bit before then! Joann

Brown Family said...

Beautiful cat art! Congrats on another finish!

Lyndsey said...

Another great quilty finish. I love the hand stitching on the quilt and your quilting. You dinner menu looked very tasty