1/24/19

Scraps and Squirrels

The rain cleared up yesterday after a dismal day on Tuesday. I took the opportunity to get out for a walk in the afternoon. From the top of our hill, it looked like this.


Being at the top of the hill, we're looking down into the valley in the opposite direction from the mountains.


Don't let those threatening skies fool you. The rain is gone for at least a couple of days.

The morning started with slow stitching on the Appalachian Memories quilt. The barn is beginning to emerge.


After that, I did some housework, and then sewed the binding on the Alley Cats Quilt Guild. There was another fabric selected first, but it was kind of a boring brown. Then, I laid eyes on this stripe. It has all the colors from the quilt, and it's a lot more fun. I'll get started with the hand-stitching on this when I finish up here. I'm not sure I can get it all finished in a single day, but for sure by tomorrow.


Since this one is destined for an open spot on the Mewseum walls, I gave it some corner pockets. The quilt is 28 x 28 inches, and so I also gave it a couple of center loops to keep it from sagging. We'll run a dowel rod through it and that makes a nice way to hang it.


It's been a while since I mentioned the Mewseum. You can read about it at this old blog post right here.

With the alley cats as I could take it, I made the newest Tiny Tuesday block. This is a 3-D bow tie block. I'll admit to having my doubts about whether this would work out. The excellent tutorial was written by Angie at Quilting on the Crescent, and this block went together quickly and easily.


Look at how cool that 3-D knot works out. I really like this block.


Then I added the diagonal setting, and it was finished.


Before I quit for the day, I made the first block from the Countdown to Christmas blocks from Moda. I've been wanting to do something with the scraps from my blues and greens, and so I'll do that for this quilt. The original from Moda was all done in red and white. It was very tempting to go with the reds, but I'm afraid the blues and greens are most urgently needing to be used. I'll be doing these blocks as a sew-along with Mama Spark's World. She's kindly included the links to the blocks on Moda's website. You can see where the sew-along gets under way right here.

There were two blocks posted yesterday, and we'll be doing 2-3 blocks per month. This first one is called "Country Winter."


So for today's agenda, I'll do the second block for the January sew-along, and then I'll get on with something else.

Also yesterday, it seemed like a good time to switch out my seasonal table runners. These are obviously for Valentine's Day. This one is for the dining room table. Sorry, this shot is so weirdly angled.


And then this one is for our kitchen breakfast bar. (Some people call this a peninsula, but we like "breakfast bar" better.)


So while I was looking at this one, it occurred to me that it could just as easily be a runner for St. Patrick's Day if I were to make it in greens and switch out the hearts for shamrocks. And that was when a squirrel ran by. Almost instantly I got on the internet to find some jumbo emerald green rickrack. I found some easily in someone's Etsy shop, and so that's winging it's way toward me already. (I suppose I could have gone to JoAnn's, but I was in such a good mood, so why ruin it?)

I still have lots of greens left over from the Lucky Charm topper, and so I should have everything I need to get this going. It's a QAYG pattern...free off the internet. You can find it right here, but you'll have to hunt down your own shamrock templates. I searched Google for "drawings of shamrocks," selected the one I liked and then made it the sizes I wanted in Photoshop Elements.

Cricket's pawtrait will have to wait another couple of days while I chase after this little green squirrel. I know you understand my dilemma. It's supposed to be another reasonable day weather-wise, and so I'll get out for another walk. Gotta make hay (and quilts) while the sun shines.

9 comments:

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

You, my dear, are bad for me--or at least my budget--
I looked into the Crabapple project for Feb and did a 'Barbara' thing!!
went online to Amazon and ordered a set of the pencils (48 ct), the sharpner, the textile paint and those other sticks--got them all for $44--and they will be here tomorrow by the email and I don't even have the Prime!! when I ordered them they had said next Fri so almost didnt order them cause then I knew I would be behind a bit!!! But I haven't ordered or bought anything fun in along time--so I was due--right????
And here we got some rain yesterday on top of the snow and today it has been raining alll day--and this afternoon the temps will drop to below freezing--so we will have lots of ice everywhere!!!!!
luv, di

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I love me a good stripe for binding and this one really does play nice. The barn is coming along - you are fast. Well done on the tint bow tie - that's a small center and yours came out super. We, too, are having lots of rain yet on the cusp of freezing. So we have problems with areas flooding as well as very slippery road conditions. I'm staying home!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Your quilt is going to be a great addition to your stairway wall to go with your other cat quilts. Now you tempting me with a new squirrel with your 3D bow ties.

Brown Family said...

The 3D knot is interesting!

Paula said...

I had to laugh at your squirrel comment. I buy my daughter a squirrel ornament every Christmas. She loves to shout "squirrel" and we both have that mentality when it comes to new projects. The view along your walk is awesome! Thanks for sharing the photos and the projects that will take so many of us off task. :o)

piecefulwendy said...

Oh, I cannot wait to see your squirrel project! Outside of being able to come home immediately with what I need, I find no other good reason to go to JoAnnes. I hate that store. There. I said it. I'd rather support an Etsy shop any day. Your views on your walk are so beautiful. I know you got that binding on, and it was a great choice! Enjoy your day, Barbara!

Beth said...

Your Alley Cats binding is perfect! The quilt itself is pretty darned cute but that binding suits it perfectly and takes the whole thing over the moon. Way to go.

quiltzyx said...

Perfect strip-y binding for the Alley Cats! Huzzah!

Nice to see your table runners again. I prefer 'breakfast bar' too.

Kate said...

Love the binding you ended up with for the Alley Cat quilt, very dramatic. Enjoy your squirrel chase, it's always so fun to make a start on a new project.