1/23/19

Loopy

There was quite a bit accomplished yesterday...grocery shopping, catching up on housework, and quilting the Alley Cats Quilt Guild. That was kind of fun. Being a small quilt, it was easy enough to finish in just a few hours' time. I used a light gold in the bobbin. There was already a partial bobbin wound, and so it was an easy choice.


For my top thread, I chose this variegated thread with golds, tans, and light browns.


Here's the color number. I think these variegated threads came from Threadart.


Then I started in. Down the middle border, I did some loops, and then I worked outward from there, beginning with the "quilt blocks." I outlined around all the appliques and quilted the "blocks" with a meandering vine. This quilt has hearts on the front and back, and so my vine has randomly placed heart-shaped leaves.


Moving to the three inner borders...these were narrow, and so I just continued on with my looping. There wasn't a lot of room to do anything very fancy.


The next border was a little wider, and so I did a loopy paw print there.


Finally, the outer border is done with continuous hearts.


With a break for housework, I spent about three hours on this. Here's where it stands.


Here's how it looks from the back.


And here's a close-up of the back.


Today I'll sew a binding on and ready it for hand-stitching. I don't think I have any binding strips cut yet, and so I'll have to figure out what fabric to use there.

Switching gears, did you know February is National Embroidery Month? No, neither did I until Meg Hawkey announced a stitch-along she's doing on social media. Well, it looks like fun, so count me in! Every day, she'll be stitching a one-inch square on a larger piece. You can download the instructions and free pattern right here. If you click on that link, you'll find the pattern in the upper left corner of the page. The image below is from the Crabapple Hill Studios Facebook page. I'm hoping she won't mind if I borrow it to advertise her event. Here, she's showing the supplies you'll need to participate.


So, I've been in gathering mode. Of course, you can do it any way you want to, but I'm using the supplies she suggests. I've ordered the floss from her website. A couple of days ago, I decided to bite the bullet and purchase a set of Prismacolor Premier colored pencils. I've been eyeing these for months.


Just look at all those delectable colors.


She has a good video on her website demonstrating how to color embroidery designs with colored pencil. There's one for crayon there too. I've used crayon to tint my embroidery designs before. You might remember it from the Gingerbread Square quilt.


Crayons dull quickly, making it difficult to get good results with them, and so I've been thinking about trying it with pencils. This small project seems a good time to give it a try. Also, this project requires an embroidery needle and a size 5 milliner's needle, and that can only mean one thing...the dreaded bullion stitch. I'm going to man-up and do it again, or die trying.

Okay, so that doesn't start until February 1st. In the meantime, I'll be tracing out and coloring my design. On today's agenda is to make some blocks. This week's Tiny Tuesday block is waiting for me. The newest one is a three dimensional bow tie block designed by Angie at Quilting on the Crescent. You can find her tutorial right here. Also, did you see the Countdown to Christmas blocks posted on the Moda Bake Shop during the month of December? They were so beautiful, and I saved each one. Now, there's a sew-along happening over at Mama Spark's World. They're going to be making 2-3 blocks per month, and so I think I'll join in there too. As I've mentioned, this is the year of scraps in my sewing room, and so every project will help me make a dent in my ever-accumulating piles.

That will probably keep me busy for one day, but if it isn't enough, then I have something else waiting in the wings. I've been circling the image of my grandcat, Cricket, for some time. I'd like to finish out the month of January making her pawtrait.


Once I get started on them, they go pretty fast. Time to get this pretty girl going.


13 comments:

Quilting Tangent said...

Good luck with all your projects. It will be interesting seeing how the pencils work out.

Sally Trude said...

Dearest Barbara,

Thank you for the lovely thread eye candy! Do you ever have problems with tangled thread that breaks? I would like to like to recommend "Cat Magic," a specially formulated thread condition that is guaranteed to make you exclaim "Quit Chewing on My Thread." Other expletives guaranteed!

Respectfully,

Molly

Julierose said...

Lovely quilting on your Kitties quilt..I would dearly love to do embroidery, but alas the hands will not cooperate...so instead will enjoy weeing how your pattern comes along.

We are awaiting the B I G R A I N this afternoon through tomorrow...I hope to collect my spread out novelty fabrics into CAT-egories (haha no pun intended) this afternoon and see what I need to make a few flimsies...imay HAVE to actually buy fabrics..hugs, Julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

Cricket is a gorgeous kitty, you'll have fun doing her pawtrait! I loved seeing the fabrics up-close on the Alley Cats, some wonderfully rich colors/patterns going on there, they really invite a closer look.

Sandra W said...

What weight was your quilting thread? Looking at the label it looks like it might be 40wt--I'm not sure as I can't decipher the label. Usually weight is clearly identified. I have only ever used 50 wt for machine quilting so wonder how it works.
Prismacolor pencils are lovely but I think you will find that the lead is very hard and you might find them difficult to use on fabric. Caren d'ache (not the right spelling) look like crayons, are very soft, and work well on fabric. You can buy small boxes in a variety at any art store. They are considered artist quality, as are your new pencils.
I'd love to see another pawprint. They are so lovely. I'm going to look at the sew-along you mentioned.

Brown Family said...

Your quilting is so smooth and seems to flow across the quilt!

I am interested in the February Colored quilt along. Not sure I understand it even after reading the directions. I understand doing a small block every day, but what do we do with them when we are finished. That may not have been revealed yet?

I had not seen the Moda Bake Shop blocks. Will they be available on Mama Sparks' blog?

Cricket is gorgeous!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

The quilting kitties came out lovely, perfect back. Thank you for the link to the embroidery project, looks like mini fun. I prefer the pencils to crayons, I think you will like them. Don't sharpen to real hard points is key.

crazy quilter said...

Cricket is such a beauty, her pawtrait will be fabulous! You do such a great job on these I cannot wait to see hers. Glad you decided to get the pencils I don’t think you will regret the purchase. Love how the Quilting kitties finished up. You are on a roll, girl,

Kate said...

Your Kitty Guild quilt turned out pretty cool. You've got some fun starts planned for later this year. But as quickly as you are finishing things, you do need some new starts. Looking forward to seeing Cricket's pawtrait come together.

piecefulwendy said...

What a fun post to read. You did accomplish quite a bit yesterday! I love my Prismacolor pencils, but I've never used them on fabric. Didn't even know you could! Will be fun to hear what you think. I was tempted to do that embroidery sampler until you mentioned that dreaded stitch. Haha. Given that getting one french knot to come out right makes me happy dance, I think the dreaded stitch might not be for me, yet. Cricket is a gorgeous kitty. Can't wait to see the pawtrait.

mangozz said...

The Alley Cats Quilt Guild is so sweet with your special quilting added! That quilt came together so fast! Will it hang in your quilt room? I think you will really enjoy the Prismacolor pencils. Although I have never used them on fabric, with the extender, they should work out much better than the crayons. I don't know why they are so expensive though! That kitty has beautiful coloring and would make for a nice paw-trait.

QuiltGranma said...

love your kitties stitching! and that beautiful grand kitty!

quiltzyx said...

Wow, with all of your quilt-alongs, you should put a bit of a dent in your scrap collection!
Love the way the kitty quilting bee came out - very nice job on the quilting too.
Somewhere at home I have some Inktense pencils that I bought a few years back. They work very well on fabric and have a water color ability too until they are dry when they become permanent. For future reference. :)
Ooooh, can hardly wait to see Cricket's pawtrait! She's a beauty!!