1/25/19

Green Flash

It was a decent day in weather yesterday. Did I get out for a walk? Of course not. There was sewing to be done, and I do have my priorities. How many times do we have to go over this? My slow-stitching consisted of hand-sewing the binding for the Alley Cats Quilt Guild, and that little quilt is my 6th finish for the month of January.


Here's how it looks from the back.


While I was sewing, the kitties were exploring the great outdoors. Sadie always has to check the rain gutters off our deck for any birds that might be perched there. One never knows.


C'mon, Sadie...we've got bigger mousies to fry.


Ordinarily, Smitty is the top shelf cat, but sometimes Sadie asserts her dominance.

Sadie, I'm going to cut you some slack and ignore your impurrtinence.


After writing yesterday's post, it occurred to me that quite a few cat quilts have been added to the Mewseum, and I should give you an updated tour. You can see the first quilts added at this old blog post right here. But let me call in the Mewseum purrator to take us on a tour.

Purrmit me...


This first quilt was a make and take project from a class I took with June Jaeger several years ago. June's cat is named Samson. This was the project that helped me get on my way making pawtraits, although mine are quite different from the ones June makes.


The first one I made after taking the class was this one of Gracie. There are some things I'd do differently if I did it again, but it wasn't a bad first try. We miss our Gracie.


Right away, I made another one of Smitty. He was just about a year old when I made this one, and his face has filled out quite a bit since then. If I were to make another one of him, I think it would look a lot different.


Here's pretty Maggie. We didn't have her for very long, and she was such a sweet kitty. Sniff.


And then there's Sadie. Hers was the most difficult of the pawtraits I've done because of the variation in her colors. My friend Sally from Objects of Design was kind enough to send me some great batiks to use. I doubt I could have done this one without Sally's input of fabric.


This one is called "Sew Helpful." I made it when Smitty was a kitten and chose those spotted fabrics especially for him. Let's just say he was a very active kitten.


This one is called "Feed the Cat." It's practically our motto here at the Three Cats Ranch.


This next one is called "Mom Cats." Their aprons are made from my grandmother's vintage handkerchiefs.


I have an idea to make some more quilts from my grandmother's dresser scarves and some embroidered tea towels, but I haven't even started on that yet. I have tons of her stuff in my mother's cedar chest, and it hasn't seen the light of day in decades. Time to bring it out and do something with it.

As for yesterday's sewing, I don't know about you, but I can't sew properly until I get out ALL of my rulers.


So I made the second block of the Moda Countdown to Christmas blocks. This one was pretty fiddly, with Y-seams, and not particularly helpful instructions. I got 'er done without too much cussing.


Here are the two blocks for January.


After that, I pulled some fabrics for my green squirrel project. I wasn't sure what I'd want to use.


It didn't take long before I had the quilt as you go portion done.


After that, I fused the shamrocks into place. I wish there was a little more contrast, but oh well. They'll be top-stitched with off white thread. I might do a double blanket stitch to make them stand out a little more.


Here's how it looks from the back.


Smitty tested it for comfort.


I'll do the top-stitching this afternoon. That's about as far as I can take that until the green jumbo rickrack arrives. When that gets here, I'll stitch it into place and then add that green stripe in the image above for the binding. If I can get it finished in January, that will make 7 finishes for the month! No flies on me.

Sue and I are walking at the bottom of our hill this morning, and it looks like the weather will be dry. Always a good thing. After that, I'll get back to my sewing. Today's plan is to start on Cricket's pawtrait.

17 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Those cat art quilts are just wonderful!

Mary said...

Really interested in your Paw-traits, would like to do this for my daughter of her beloved Nexis and Maisy. Is there some place to get some instruction? I really like yours, you have caught your kitties beautifully.

Oh, I am having a squirrel moment with the Crabapple Hill Stitch Along!! I have 2 quilts to finish but can't stop thinking about the embroidery. This is your fault, too! LOL You have gotten me hooked on slow stitching. Love all that you do, keep up the wonderful work.

QuiltShopGal said...

I love all your cat quilts. Absolutely Purrfect. Makes me wonder if you'd be willing to "rent" out this collection for display at various quilt shows, as a special exhibit? I sure think it would make for an excellent exhibit in any quilt show.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

what cute cats - in quilts and life!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, this is such a delight to see all the kitties together. I'm working on a squirrel at the moment while waiting for the ice to go away.

Julierose said...

Loving your wonderful Kitty Pawtraits...I have never tried a pawtrait--I would have to do my beloved, long gone dawggie friends also..and my one kitty Schumee...how do you even start?? sounds like fun ...nice St. Pat's Day start, too We tried to walk along the beach on the boardwalk and only made it 1/2-way as the wind was brutally cold--not fun..so will do my indoor bike this afternoon...hugs stay warm Julierose

Pam McDonald said...

Love your ideas :) I've been wanting to do a portrait of my doggie.

Is your Alley Cat quilt guild a pattern?

Thanks

Sandra W said...

That cat museum is quite extraordinary.

Lyndsey said...

Love the kitty mewseum. The portraits are adorable and I love the one of Gracie.

piecefulwendy said...

So many fun things to read about and look at in this post. Love the tour through the mewseum. I have a bunch (okay, a whole lot) of hankies of my grandmother, mother and aunts and I really should either do something with them or let them go. That shamrock runner is a good one; looks like Smitty approves. Hope you had a good walk!

mangozz said...

I absolutely LOVE your Alley Cats Quilt Guild!!! It is pawsitively purrfect in every way! And your kitty pawtraits in the mewseum are the cat's pajamas! They make me want to pawtray my own tuxedo fur purrson. How did you get started on this purr-oject?

Linda said...

I agree with you on the "fiddly"-ness of the Christmas block, and I confirm that the instructions left a lot to be desired. I like your combo of green with blue. I'm enjoying this SAL because there is no holiday pressure to finish. ;)
As always I love your cats and cat-themed projects. Your pawtraits are amazing and spot-on.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, goodness! Your kitty quilts are INCREDIBLE!!!

quiltzyx said...

Great trip thru' the mewseum of kitty quilts! Loved seeing all of the pawtraits again.

Hmmm, y-seams, not the funnest seams in the bunch, are they? But your blocks look terrific. :)

Brown Family said...

thanks for the tour of the mewseum of kitty quilts. You are being way to productive for January!

Mama Spark said...

Loving all the kitty quilts! Thanks for linking up with your CDTC block too!! Could you tell folks where to link up that may read your blog too please? Then they could link up their blocks as well.

Kate said...

The Ally Cats Guild turned out beautifully! Congrats on 6 finishes for January! You are moving right along on getting things done.