1/22/19

Posted: No Sewing

After sewing nearly round the clock for two straight days, I took a day off from the sewing room. That isn't to say I did anything productive, but it was good to come out of my basement sewing room and into the light. We had a nice day of weather yesterday. By "nice day," I mean it didn't rain. It was still plenty cold. Not as cold as you folks back east. Oh my gosh...I feel sorry for you in those temps. I can't even imagine it.

So, anyway...there was a little bit of sewing in the form of slow stitching. I started on the newest Appalachian Memories block.


It's waiting for me downstairs as I write this, and so I'll get more done on it today. My biggest goal for yesterday was to get out for a walk. For this, I have a brand spanking new bag of horsey treats.


With a few of those loaded into a zip-lock bag, I was ready to head out. As I was leaving, I noticed Miss Sadie on hummingbird patrol.


Pause here for a moment to admire my clean windows. The window-washer guy hasn't been here since last summer. That's hummingbird poop, if you must know.

Knowing Sadie was guarding against marauding hummingbirds, I felt safe leaving. So, off I went. The first thing I noticed was that the daffodils our neighbor planted along the shared driveway are already heading up. Mine are barely poking above ground.


And then, at the top of the driveway, I saw the horses. And they saw me. Here they come!


We talked for a few minutes while they crunched on their treats, and then I went along my way.


So here's something, and this drives me a little bit crazy. (Haven't you noticed?) What is up with this word "POSTED"? The Google has left me sorely disappointed on this question. Why is it necessary to deliver this message preceded by the word "Posted"?


Matthew and I discussed this while we were walking on New Year's Day. Matthew thought it meant something along the lines of "Hey, You! Yeah, you!" Or maybe..."I've got something to say!" Or maybe..."Listen up!" Or maybe, "Hey, A$$hole! Yeah, I'm talking to you!"


But, you know...I'm reading the sign...there's no reason to yell.


Why not just say it straight out? Here's one. No "Posted" before the important part of the message.


Or why not just keep it short and to the point like this one?


That message comes through loud and clear.

Okay...so that's the end of my random rant of the day. I should probably create a label for random rants so that I can find them and update them.

As for things of interest, the water droplets are still about the best thing going on these walks. The one below is moss growing on a fence post.


Here's a blue spruce sparkling in the sunshine.


My goal was to reach the top of the hill because I had an idea I would find a carpet of clouds there. As I approached, I could see the clouds rolling over the hilltop.


From there...


It's one of my favorite sights. It looks as if you could just walk right out there. Don't though. That would not end well for you.

Everything is green with moss right now.


Here are some nosy neighbors.


They don't need to put "posted" on their sign.


I liked the contrast of colors in this next image.


This bird was singing and singing and singing. It's hard to say what kind of a bird this is. My friend, Judy the Birder, would say that it's an LBJ (Little Brown Job).


When they paved the road this past summer, they first made it wider. That meant cutting away at the banks on each side until they appear dangerously close to collapsing. Later, they came through and sprayed seed on the sides, and now this stuff is appearing in great quantities.


By then, I was nearly home. Our neighbor's cat was ahead of me.


And that was the end of my walk.

Here's something: My friend Carmen sent me this little pattern from Bonnie Sullivan. I love her stuff.


I'll use this to make the wall hanging. Carmen even sent me the packet of laser cut applique pieces. Cool! I've never used these before, and so it seems like quite a luxury.


And look at those little beads and buttons. Squee!


Well, that's going to be fun. Thank you, Carmen. This being a Christmas piece, I think I'll wait until a little later in the year to start on it so that I can work on it during the season.

Today I need to make a trip to the grocery store. My list is fairly short, and so it shouldn't be too traumatizing for me or anybody else. There are a few housekeeping chores on tap, and then I hope to get back to my sewing. Today I'll start quilting the Alley Cats Quilt Guild. I have some ideas about what to do now. Being a small quilt, it shouldn't take too long.

The long weekend is over...time to get back to business.

15 comments:

Annette Mandel said...

I wonder if "Posted" is legal requirement in case of a law suit.
Your horse treats look pretty tasty.

Lyndsey said...

Thought from a 7 year old 'Maybe it's because its on or near a post'. We haven't seen any signs like that but a lot of Keep Out ones. The pattern is fab and the applique pieces sound amazing. That will cut the work down quite considerably.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Treats for horses--have to say that is a new one on me--thought they liked apples or carrots???? but what do I know--never been around horse much in my lifetime so far--but I love the look of horses and they seem like nice pets!!
I did ride one once--once they got me up on it--I am short and the horse was tall!!!!!!
luv, di

Sarah said...

Oh you are a baaaaaad influence 😉 my finger is inches away from buying the Meowy Christmas kits as a belated birthday gift to myself. I have purchased a couple other bowl filler kits and really enjoyed them (I would enjoy them more if they were finished but lets no push the matter). Have a great day! I see you are beating me on the weekly step counts - I need to up my game there too!

Sally Trude said...

Yup, having year-round hummingbirds is a good indication of a faux winter season. I think I've only had one night with a hard freeze...what used to be my best friend for pest and weed control.

gpc said...

When I was in school, my property professor (quite a character and the reason for many of my nightmares that year) told us that it was long and well established that you have a legal action against trespassers as long as your property is "posted." Since that was all that was known and since lawyers are picky folks, the argument began that if it didn't SAY 'posted,' it was not. And thus the beginning of the ridiculous custom to post your fence with "post"ed signs. The simple "NO" would probably work as well if it came to court, but few are ready to take chances. Whether all that is true or not, I make no claim, and the professor is long dead, I imagine.

Do alpacas also like horsey treats, I wonder? I envy you your lovely walks.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Yes, there is a legal issue with having the posted signs - they are suppose to be displayed a certain way as well. We have them and at times they are great target practic pieces for those 'wascally wabbits'; that's why we put up trail cams. How sweet of you to think of those friends along your walk, I am sure they just enjoyed those tasty treats. Today was a no sew day for me as I had a meeting and took the time to enjoy the sun and warm weather; heat wave of 14 degrees today. Working another cross stitch for Valentines.

piecefulwendy said...

I assume, like the other commenters, that "posted" has to do with legal issues. It seems to also vary by state. I'm sure those horses were delighted to see you with those treats. I have that same cat sampler, but not the laser cuts or the beads (I don't think). You will love the laser cuts. I had them for the little bowl fillers I made, and they are really slick. They stitch up so neat and pretty, it's hard to think about going back to wool. I thought of you when I saw the cat in the chef's hat!

mangozz said...

That was no nice of you to think of the horse treats. And made by Purina? I didn't know they made them. Now they will be your forever friends! Yes, it's been chilly here in southern Massachusetts, in the single digits at most. I'm surprised it's not colder there. I love Bonnie Sullivan's designs too. I am looking forward to seeing the Alley Cats Quilt Guild quilted.

Lee said...

I always assumed there was some 'legality' factor to the 'posted' sign. I recall them (in Oregon) as a child in the 50s, so they've been around awhile. Fortunate you are to live in your rural environment, would love to feed a horse a treat and feel its muzzle nibbling in the palm of my hand.

ckrut said...

I never even thought about some places having hummingbirds year round. Duh! We only have them between June and September so they're a real treat to see. My neighbor is a professional nature photographer though and he specializes in bird so see lots of pictures of birds. If you want to check him out he's at Daybreak Imagery. Not an advertisement or anything, just thought you might be interested since you're a photographer.

I also had never heard of a bowl filler until I read this post. You'd think I lived in a cave instead of the Midwest.

Brown Family said...

My Dad always said the Posted signs were for legal reasons. We still see a lot of them in the Texas country side! Beautiful photos, especially the moss and the fir and tree bark. Alpaca are interesting animals!

Cute pattern, especially with the applique and buttons to do it with!

Kate said...

I wonder if "posted" is a legal term that carries some weight in court when bandied about by a lawyer? Love to see the pictures from your walks. It's cold and brown here. We didn't even get any snow out of the last two systems, just the bitter cold wind. "Sigh".

quiltzyx said...

Like ckrut, I had not heard of "bowl fillers" before. Interesting. The little kit is adorable!
I think the "POSTED" on those signs is redundant.
"result for post
/pōst/Submit
verb
past tense: posted; past participle: posted
1.
display (a notice) in a public place.
"a curt notice had been posted on the door"
synonyms: affix, attach, fasten, hang, display, pin (up), put up, stick (up), tack (up), nail (up)
"he studied the notice posted on the wall"
If is hung up there, it IS "posted"! Oh well. Lawyers, no doubt.

I wonder if the Alpacas would like the horse treats?

Thanks for all the photos - even one blooming thing too! At least it looks like some tiny blue blooms on the fence post. (oh NO! Are they "posted"???)










Snoodles said...

Around here (in SC) posted means that you have posted a notice in the local paper regarding your property and the desire to avoid trespassers. That combined with the signage allows you free rein to prosecute when you catch the buggers. LOL Not too many people do it anymore, but there is often a need. Nowadays there are so many people who think it's their privilege to go anywhere they want, on other peoples' property! Fishing, running their four wheelers, etc. Oy. Now I went on a rant. Can you tell it's something we deal with often? LOL
We often tell the story of a group of teens we found in our newly mowed pasture, running their dirt bikes around and digging up the ground. When asked, the comment was "but we didn't know this belonged to anybody!"
Seriously? Who do you think mowed it? Haha!