1/31/19

Food Glorious Food

Yesterday was spent running around pretty much the whole live-long day. It wasn't all bad. I first dropped off two boxes of clothing cleaned out from my closet. That lightened my load considerably. From there, it was time for my monthly pedicure, and that was nice.

After that it was a drive to the other side of town to pick up Big Bertha. While I was there, I learned that the problem with Big Bertha was just a build up of dirt and grime under the feed dogs, and that was preventing them from staying down. In essence, she was given an annual maintenance this time around, and this is annoying when you consider that I had her in for annual maintenance just last April...less than a year ago. In that time, I've done no quilting to speak of (none on Big Bertha...all on the Babylock machine), and so how did the machine get so dirty that it started malfunctioning? Well, the answer to that is easy: the old shop didn't do the maintenance I paid them to do, or else they did a pretty sh*tty job of it. So...I haven't actually hooked her back up again, but I did test the button that lowers the feed dogs, and that appears to be working. Needless to say, I'm really done with the old shop, which is too bad because I like doing business in my little town of Newberg. It's farther away to go to this different shop, but worth it if they'll give me better service.

And after that, I was just a block away from the grocery store, and so I picked up the staple items on my list, then home. Then, collapse in the chair and take a nap. I was tired after all that. Checking the mail, I found the remaining items I need for the February Stitch-along arrived.


The "blunts" on the left are used to blend pencil color after it's applied to the fabric. The brushes on the right are used to apply the Jacquard colorless fixative. It's all explained in Meg Hawkey's video about applying colored pencil to fabric. I'll get after that today since the stitch-along starts tomorrow.

From here on, I'm going to tell you about our evening out, and so if you're not into the food posts, there's nothing more to see here. And if you are, well come on in! This is The Painted Lady restaurant in Newberg, Oregon. You need to understand that Newberg is a small town of just over 20,000 people, and so it's impressive knowing there's a first class restaurant just down the hill from us. The chef there won a James Beard award.


We've been there many times for celebratory dinners. Last night's dinner was one of their "Experimental" dinners. Every Wednesday evening from December through March, they do an experimental tasting menu, and we'd signed up for the "Black Box Wine Pairing" menu...which is ironic because we brought our own bottle of wine.


Here's the menu:


I'll show the courses in order. First, this little Croquette of Swiss and Home-made Ham.


If you want to know how to make mashed potatoes even more decadent and delicious, simply add gruyere cheese and then deep fry it. Yum.


This next course was the mozzarella panna cotta. Those little radishes were sliced so thin they were transparent. On top is a thinly sliced red carrot, which made it look a little like bacon. Then all kinds of carrot yumminess surrounding it.


Next up was the scallop. That's a sort of pureed celery relish in front. I'm not a great fan of celery, but this was really good.


Then, the duck breast. Sometimes I'm squeamish about meat, but this was delicious. It was our favorite of all the things served up last night.


Then, the cheese course...I wasn't too fond of the hard cheese on the right. It was dry and sort of sucked all the saliva from my mouth. The rest was delicious though. There was a little pistachio biscuit there in the upper left, and that was downright scrumptious.


Finally, the "mignardises," which is a snotty French word for little sweets served after dessert. I guess technically we skipped the dessert course, but these were a good stand-in. From left to right there is a dark chocolate filled with a hazelnut liqueur. Then a little shortbread tart. I forget what it was stuffed with. Then a little tiny macaroon sandwich stuffed with white chocolate. Finally a little apricot gumdrop. Very tasty.


I'm a fan of sweet wines, and so at the end of a meal like this, I splurge on a glass of sherry or port or whatever sweet wine they serve up. This one happens to be a port from Portugal. It was very nice.


So it's a lot of courses, but not a lot of food. We were satisfied, but not stuffed when we left. All in all, a very nice evening out. We haven't been out for a nice dinner in quite some time.

Today I have a day at home. I have a couple of housekeeping chores to do, but then I'll get back to work on Cricket's pawtrait. I'm hoping I can have the collage portion finished today. Now that Big Bertha is back, I'll be able to do the thread painting that follows.

10 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I have never heard of the blunts, need to check that out, mine didn't blend too well.
That food looks good, I do miss eating out.

Debbie

Julierose said...

Sounds like an interesting "foodie" meal you enjoyed. I am not an adventurous eater so i whizzed by the various ?meats? and concentrated on the dessert plate ;)))--oooh my..my mouth was watering..
glad you enjoyed it..
hugs, Julierose
P.S. Vicarious pleasures for me as I am trying to stay on lo-carb meals...
not easy...miss my bread, potatoes, pastas and rice a lot...but it must be done...;(((.

Quilting Babcia said...

I remember driving past that building many times though we never ate there. Interesting menu, I think my fave might have been the decadent potatoes!

Jean Etheridge said...

I had an issue on my Bernina 750 QE where the foot just clucked Dow, not.soft landing like I expect. Lint. My tech is awesome. He said I had over 17 million stitches on my machine, and that he knew from the kind of lint I had that I am a quilter. I just need to be conscientious and take mine in when it is time. He is 100 miles away, but it is worth the drive to have a competent tech.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Looks like a fab meal, not my kind of dining but I can see you two enjoying.

gpc said...

My local Brother shop sent my machine home still full of lint and that was when we switched to Babylock and a less convenient dealer. We've bought 5 machines from them, always keeping 3 on our 'floor' and trading up each year, and are waiting for a 6th one to come in this week when delivery service thaws out again. So the lazy owner of the Brother place didn't do himself any favors.

What a lovely restaurant, that little Croquette is calling my name . . .

And Cricket is going to be amazing. I can't wait to see the thread painting, it always takes your pawtraits over the top even after I think they can't get any better.

piecefulwendy said...

Newberg is about the same size as our little hometown. Always fun to have top notch foodie places close by, and your evening out looked delicious! I hadn't thought about using blunts with colored pencils (duh) but I know the process worked from your Instagram photo. No sewing for my until later today, maybe. I'm going with my husband to the office for an office potluck. We bring the pulled pork, so we better show up!

SJSM said...

That looks like a meal I would enjoy. Yum! The duck breast does look amazing as well as the rest.

Boy, does that frost your bananas when you pay and expect a service to be done then find out you have not received what you pay to have done. Is there a difficulty being trained to be a good sewing machine mechanic? It appears to be a wide spread problem. It does seem to go across brands. As a result one eventually finds out who the good mechanics are and will give that store their business. There seems to be no quality control from the manufacturer in maintaining the education and quality of the store's mechanics.

More rain expected today. Perhaps a bit of sewing will get done today. A tunic, pop up scrap container, fabric bowl, a shirt for hubby, second tunic mostly done and a camera bag was started at the sewing retreat last week. I helped my SIL by teaching her how to make pin tucks, nice darts, gathering while she made an Easter dress for her daughter. She did a bang up job! First time and it was perfection. She got the zipper in and will leave that as it is. I asked if she would like me to put it in for her but she wanted to do it herself. It is the only part that isn’t perfection. Her daughter has long hair so may wear her hair down when wearing the dress. Lots of projects left that are cut out and ready to go.

Brown Family said...

I stopped at Hobby Lobby yesterday and picked up the paper stumps and brushes. I do not have the recommended brand of colored pencils, but think mine will work. I also do not have the Jacquard colorless fixative but a different brand that I have used before so I think I am set, even though I am already behind !

quiltzyx said...

It's always nice when a package arrives, isn't it? I had one come last week that I had totally forgotten about - I ordered it on 12/24/18! Thank goodness that fabric doesn't go bad...
Dinner looks yummy - especially the croquette! "Home made ham" - did they butcher & cure it themselves? Inquiring minds need to know.