2/1/19

Kitty Collage

Toward the end of the day yesterday, I finished off the rest of Cricket's collage.


When it was all fused down, I peeled it off the pressing sheet to check for any holes. This one looks pretty good. You can see where I patched a hole kind of in the middle.


Next, I'll fuse it to a background piece, and then use a smoky monofilament thread to stitch down the edges of the pieces. When that's done, I'll be ready to thread paint in the contours of the face and the details.

I thought I was going to have a day at home yesterday, but I ended up needing to go out and meet Mike to take care of some business with our new cell phone carrier. Without going into the whole long and boring story, our phones are not completely compatible with the new network, and so we'll have to get new phones. That will need to wait for a bit, and even that part is long and boring.

So that cut a pretty big wedge out of the pie of my day. Sadly enough, it was the portion set aside for housework. What could I do but get on with my sewing tasks? First on the list was to get the sampler ready for the Stitch Along that starts today. I still needed to color my piece. The colored pencil set I purchased didn't have all the same colors suggested, but I was able to pull together this grouping.


And then I got to work coloring. Meg Hawkey suggested having something to rest one's hand on because the color can come off on your hand and then transfer to the fabric. I just grabbed a scrap of batting.


When it was all colored in, it looked like this. The blank spaces are going to be applique, but that won't come until the end.


From there, I was ready to use the "extender." This is the one suggested.


It will dry colorless, but it appears pure white in the bottle.


It's easy enough to paint on with a good paint brush.


Here's how it looks after it's applied and still wet.


When I had the whole thing done, I hung it to dry overnight.


I'll use an iron-on stabilizer on the back when I get going on the stitching today.

As for my other slow stitching, I finished up the bottom of the barn and then moved my hoop to the left.


And that encompasses the last of it. I stitched a good portion after I moved the hoop. It won't be finished today, but maybe tomorrow.


Today, Sue and I are walking, and with that said, it's time to get going. Mornings start early on the days I walk with Sue.

12 comments:

Debbie said...

Great projects. I love the coloring technique for the stitchery. You even stayed inside the lines...lol. I would be all over the place. I sure miss the hand work.

Julierose said...

Amazing coloring in technique--I do a lot of colrbooking and have those pencils--they are amazingly colorful..I did some coloring in with stencil paints a few years back, but the fabric got rather stiffened from it.
Too cold (5 degrees) to walk outside today; just errands to get done...
Hoping to fit in a bit of sewing on my Stone Soup bowls....

Your Pawtrait is beautiful--I am amazed at how lifelike it is...great work on this..do you have any graphic art design in your background?
It will be beautiful--what a lovely remembrance of your loved kitty
hugs, Julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

Cricket is progressing beautifully. It's always neat to see the transformation your thread painting adds.

gpc said...

Your barn is lovely, as they all are. I do like the coloring idea. They had a display of quilts in the hallway at the main hospital where I went to pick up a prescription this afternoon that looked like they had been first colored and then quilted. Amazing how much you can do with that technique.

Sandra W said...

Grandcat looking good.
I've never worked with pencils and embroidery so thought I would give it a try. I'm waiting for my Prismacolor pencils and extender and stump to arrive from our friend Amazon.ca. I'm sure I have the pencils and stumps somewhere but it was just easier to order more. Isn't that terrible! But I only ordered a small set of pencils so I will be working with limited colors too. I thought it would be a good project to take to Spain so I hope I can get it prepped in time.
I just got a notice from the post office that some threads (well actually, a LOT of threads) arrived and I owe $82 in taxes and duties. What ever happened to free trade? Most parcels get through--if they are small, but once in a while no such luck. It seems silly that we can spend $800 duty free in person every trip across the border but $0 by mail. But sometimes you just cannot get some supplies in Canada and that's all there is to it.

Brown Family said...

Cricket is looking great! Glad you got the project colored so I can see what it looks like. I may change some of the colors, when I get going on it!

Terri in BC said...

Love your Pawtraits! If I ever get through the never-ending UFOS, I plan on attempting one of my unmentionable pet (d.o.g.) I've imposed a rule for 2019 not to start a new project before I finish at least 3 UFOs. So far, I'm 0-1 on the losing side.

Nita said...

There's a lot of personality in Cricket's pawtrait...good job!

Natureluvr57 said...

I love the color pencil method. You didn't mention it but I heat set it after it dries well, on both sides. I use an old piece of muslin as a pressing sheet. As usual, try it on a scrap. I follow Sandra Leichner's blog and in 2009 she talked about using color pencils and I used it first on my quilt labels to add a touch of color. When it worked okay I used it for some embroidered blocks. One day I want to buy all her bird patterns. Here's the link to her method if you're interested in reading it. http://sandraleichner.com/wordpress/colored-pencil-applique-tutorial/

quiltzyx said...

The colored in squares for your Stitch-along are so cute. It will be fun to see it going along the month.

piecefulwendy said...

Finally getting around to reading your post. Today has been a bit hectic, so I'm glad to be back home. Maybe some sewing later this afternoon, but I'm going to sneak in a nap. Love how Cricket turned out!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That looks like a lot of fun. What does the extender do?