1/30/19

A Nod to Murphy

It was late in the day when I made my way into the sewing room yesterday. The first thing I did was to fix the portion of the face that was bothering me on Cricket's Pawtrait. If you missed that in yesterday's post, I wasn't happy with the zigzaggy portion on the left side of the face.


It was easy enough to peel up the darker portion and trim it away from the lighter portion, and that looks better now.


Smitty enjoys watching me make the pawtraits. I always tell him he's the most handsome cat in all the land, and he agrees.


We like to tell jokes to one another when we're in the sewing room. Here's one I told him yesterday:

A mother mouse and a baby mouse are walking along when suddenly a cat attacks them. The mother mouse shouts “BARK!” and the cat runs away. “See?” the mother mouse says to her baby. “Now do you see why it’s important to learn a foreign language?”

Oh my gosh...that's the funniest thing I've ever heard!!!


Really?

No, it wasn't funny at all. What cat would run away from two mice? You really need some better material, Mom.


When we're not joking around, Smitty likes living on the edge.


But that's exhausting too, and so sometimes he just likes a good scrap nap.


When I had the face fixed, I had to decide whether I wanted to keep working on it, or take a break to make some blocks. Sometimes it's good to walk away from the pawtraits for a day and give their flavors time to meld. It seemed like a good idea to go ahead and set up Pfelicity. As my nod to Murphy and his Law, I figured if I went to the trouble to set up Pfelicity, crawl under the table to plug her in, etc., then I'd hear from the repair shop that Big Bertha was ready. In fact, an hour later, I got the call. She's ready to be picked up.


So, I ended up making a couple of blocks. This is the third of the Moda Countdown to Christmas blocks for the sew-along with Mama Spark. This one is called Prairie Christmas Star. You can find the tutorial right here.


Also, being Tuesday, the fifth Tiny Tuesday block was out. This one is from Cynthia Brunz at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework. Pretty simple and cute.


This one is in a straight setting.


And that was all the sewing I did yesterday aside from slow-stitching. The tree is completely stitched now.


It's a race to the finish if I'm going to get this completed by February 1st when the stitch-along starts. And the stitch-along really has nothing to do with it since that will take only a few minutes each morning. I can easily work on two projects at once. But here's where I'll pick up with the barn this morning.


It's going to be a busy day today. I'm getting my monthly pedicure, and then driving to the other side of town to pick up Big Bertha. If there's any time left in the day, I'll get a little more done on Cricket's Pawtrait.

Remember what I said about draping Hocuspocusville over my chair so the wrinkles could relax out of it? As I mentioned, it makes an excellent kitty fort.


Mike and I are eating dinner out tonight. We're going to one of my favorite restaurants where the presentation is as good as the food. It's a little like watching a culinary magic show. Of course, I'll report back tomorrow on our piggishness.


Yes, obviously I meant guinea pigs. What did you think I meant?

9 comments:

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Well I liked your joke and love your sense of humor in every post you write--
I think I used to be more like you--but somewhere alone the line I have become too serious--humm???
Paw print is coming along nicely--
luv, di

Julierose said...

Your kitty joke was... um well, "hair-larious" it gave me pawse and I was almost catatonic with laughter...(sorry!!);)))
that being said--the pawtrait is really coming to life beautifully..
enjoy your dinner out. Hugs, Julierose

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love Smitties big grin laugh! But it was a bad joke. You were right in the correction on the pawtrait, looks better. Enjoy your dinner out - we are snow blind with bitter cold, whipping winds. In a State of Emergency and no travel alert.

Quilting Babcia said...

Oh Smitty, you have the best sense of humor!

Sandra W said...

I read your little joke and chuckled and then when I scrolled down to Smitty's laughing I laughed out loud!
That was a great photo match!

piecefulwendy said...

Love that little heart block. I may have to make a few of those. The fix to Cricket was a good one. Glad Bertha is home now; hope she's working like a charm. Wilbur was channeling his inner Smitty yesterday, living on the edge too while I was doing some cutting. He's learning to be quite helpful as I sew, holding down pieces for me. doing a walk around my machine to be sure all is well, etc. You know the drill. Hope you enjoyed your dinner out.

Brown Family said...

Love Smitty's laughing face and the kitty fort~

quiltzyx said...

Maybe Laughing Smitty could be an upcoming pawtrait? HA! That'd show him for dissing Mom's jokes!!
Looking forward to seeing your trip out to dinner. Altho' those do usually make me wish I didn't have such food allergies!

QuiltGranma said...

LOL! Love your humor! It helps lighten these gray days of winter when there is a faint tapping on the tin room. Love seeing those fur-kids of yours.