12/11/18

Oh Happy Day!

There were a couple of finishes yesterday...first, the second block for the Appalachian Memories quilt. I spent more time than usual on this yesterday, but I was enjoying myself. Besides...it allowed me to put off the free motion quilting on Wind in the Whiskers for just a little bit longer.


These are the two blocks I have for this quilt so far. There's still a long way to go...12 blocks in all.


And then...Ta-Da!!!! I finished stitching down all the applique for the Wind in the Whiskers quilt. You have no idea how happy this makes me. This was the panel I worked on for yesterday's effort.


As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I started on the two kittens looking into the koi pond. It was good that I started here because this section gave me the most trouble.


Some of the applique here is at least four layers deep, and I was having problems with thread breakage in those sections. Also, the little yellow centers of the purple flowers wanted to come loose as soon as the needle hit them. I just held them in place with tweezers and then stitched those suckers down.


When I had that section done, Himself arrived on the scene.

Purrdon me, but why would you waste your time on these flat cats when you have this handsome hunka  catman meat right in furront of you?



Purrsonally, I think these cats are losers. None of them look like me.



He wanted just a little bit of alone time outside. He likes to go out for a few minutes in the afternoon when Sadie is confined to the catio. I think he enjoys knowing he's getting a little bit of a special privilege. It's just like when I was a kid, and my brother...7 years my senior...got to do a lot of stuff I couldn't do.

When I'd attended to the furry cat, I got back to work on the fabric kittens and stitched them down along with their daffodils and butterflies.


When this little calico kitten was finished, all of the applique was done. Yahoo!!!


There were quite a few little traveling stitches to be clipped, especially on the back, and so I took it down to the dining room table and spread it out where I could run my hands over it and find them. I'm sure I didn't find all of them, but I will eventually. Here's how the quilting looks from the back.


Below you can see the flowers beneath the cat pictured above.


These are some of the kittens across the bottom.



These are the kittens near the koi pond.


Stitching down the edges of the applique was the part I was most dreading on this quilt. The rest will be fairly straightforward. I'll be quilting the inner border today, at the very least. If there is time, I'll get a start on the outer border. Already, I have some designs worked out, and so I'll get to work on that and do as much as I can fit in the day.

Also, I needed another embroidery design to stitch, and so I have the 11th of 12 blocks for the Snow Globes quilt traced out.


This one is called "Silver Bells," and it's hooped up and waiting for me downstairs.


I'll spend a little time on that before I need to take off and do some grocery shopping. It's senior discount day at our grocery store today. I've decided senior discounts are the only good thing about getting older...that, and living to get older, I suppose. Being alive is a definite perk of getting older.

So that's my day. What's on tap at your end?

10 comments:

Julierose said...

What a lovely job you are doing on your Cats quilting..time and patience are paying off big time, I think...
Love the Snow Globes...and congrats on finishing so many barns--you do such nice work hugs, Julierose

Julierose said...

P.S. Where did you get the Snow globe patterns? I love them hugs, Julierose

Lyndsey said...

Your quilting looks really good. I do love the way the stitching shows up on the back.. The barns are looking good and I do like the snow globe patterns.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What tedious quilting and I can imagine the problem with stitching thru so many fused layers. Love that bit of color in the barn blocks, nice little perk.

Kate said...

Wind in the Whiskers is looking great. It has to feel good to get the worst parts all quilted. The barn blocks look great. You've been moving along on all your projects. Your Tuxedo Cat blocks turned out so cute. And your RSC quilt is coming along beautifully. You'll be set for finishes next year now that you have all those blocks finished. (I binged read your blog posts this morning, work and holiday stuff has kept me off the computer, so I'm way behind).

piecefulwendy said...

Yay for the quilting finish; those little applique pieces wouldn't be a whole lot of fun to quilt around, but they sure look good. I love seeing the back almost as much as the front. I keep forgetting I'm old enough (and just got older) to use the senior discount in some places. I agree with Smitty; he's much more handsome than those kitties in the quilt (even though they are a quilt kind of cute)!

Stitches said...

Your quilt is looking really good!! I got the urge yesterday to start a new project!! Bad me!! I have so many to finish but sometimes you need something new to get excited about..so I started on Sandy Gervais' "Santa's Christmas Card". It's Santa with all of the reindeer wallhanging. I probably won't get it finished this year but it was fun to get started. Christmas is getting so close!! Well, I better go get busy on it...have a great day!

Natureluvr57 said...

I love the kitty quilt and I have one of her farm quilts but I did a wallhanging with deer and birch trees. Not in a hurry to start another of her patterns because of all the itty bitty pieces that don't wanna be stitched. Of course the little details are what makes the designs extra special. I also have the barn designs as well as the covered bridges but not starting them anytime soon. I don't even want to count my Crabapple Hill designs and the wool applique designs and the cross stitch patterns...oh my, I just wanna do everything but don't have enough time. I'm still working on a quilt for my Mom that seems to be taking forever. Two blocks before I can square the blocks up and put some borders around them so they all fit. I'm not using a pattern so I hope it doesn't end up being a hot mess. I've been stitching this pattern and that-they have to do with some of her favorite things with Moda Spell It thrown in. Yep, some piecing is off but I'm going with it as is. I've actually seen worse from professionals-I just had to stop stressing so much or I'd never get it done. Too much time at the frog pond makes me abort a project. I keep repeating "It doesn't have to be perfect to be pretty". Have a great day.

Karen L. said...

Now that you are practically done Wind in the Whiskers, I thought you might like to know that Pine Needles has a puzzle of that design on McKenna Ryan's website. It was on sale but maybe only for today. And I just know that you would want to work on a puzzle with that design since you so enjoyed the whole process of making the quilt of that design. Yes, I jest!

jean f. said...

A friend of mine collects those walnut meat poker thingies that come with the metal nut cracker... from garage sales, etc. … as pointy things to help ease fabric into the machine where fingers should not go... one of those by your machine would be handy for holding down little dibbles like those flower centers. Or go buy an awl. Somehow tweezers just doesn't sound right to me. But to each her own. Love what you do! You are SO busy!