12/10/18

Land of the Mole People

As I start to write, it's 7:08 a.m., and still dark as night outside. Our days are very short right now, and made even darker by heavy cloud cover. Just now I checked in with my friend Google to see if it was just my imagination...


So...we'll see less than nine hours of daylight today. I love the long hours of sunshine in the summer here, but the dark days of winter can be brutal. It might be a good idea to get outside today, weather permitting.

Speaking of dark days...I know, such a Dismal Debby, I am. The quilting is actually going pretty well on Wind in the Whiskers. Let's just get started, shall we?


By lunch time yesterday I'd stitched a little more than halfway across the flowers here. I'm so much happier with the smaller needle. Wish I'd known about it earlier, but live and learn, right?


After lunch, I had this whole section quilted, which was quite a relief. The flowers toward the bottom are one of the more complicated areas of the quilt insofar as the quilting is concerned.


It's a little hard to see in this light, but here's how it's looking from the back. You can see the cat stretching on the birdhouse at the top of the image below.


Below, you can see some of the flowers and stems.


All that's left now is the section enclosed in green below.


I'll start on the right and move left since that is the most complicated portion of what remains.


I expect I'll finish that whole section today, and then I'll still need to quilt the borders. I have some ideas about what to do there, and that is half the battle. After that binding and embellishing, and I'll awaken from this nightmare, refreshed, and ready to take on the world!

For today, I'll probably hold off on doing the borders, saving them for another day. If there's time left in the day, I might work on one of the WIPS listed on my white board. There's pretty much no housework on the calendar this whole week, and so there should be lots of time for sewing.

10 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Dark and gloomy here today as well. Your quilting looks wonderful, and a fine Christmas gift to yourself, getting it all finished at long last! And how did you manage a week without housework? Ah yes, you are woofie-less, that must be it!

Sally Trude said...

Yes, I am slightly regretting not being in VA for the 6-9 inches of snow. Having everything covered in white is very cheering. Then I remembered snow shovels and ice.

Debbie said...

You have really made progress on this...such patience you have:) I am longing for some sun here too....lots of snow and sleet here.

Julierose said...

this is one lovely quilt--and your quilting looks fabulous, girl!

Our sunrise is at 7:04 and sunset at 4:20--but it really gets dark-ish starting at 3:30 --especially since most days have been gray, gray gray...

I begin turning lights on ("Let there be light"--please!!) around 3:15--and my two little trees and my one strand of blue fairy mantel lights...that helps..

that and a nice glass of Chablis doesn't hurt either...lol
hugs and keep on quilting--it really looks great hugs, Julierose

Vroomans' Quilts said...

The short days do make us mole people. We didn't get the snow but we did get bitter cold.

Cathy said...

In southern California (Anaheim), our sunlight hours are about an hour longer--Sunrise 6:40; sunset 4:43. Must be because we're further south than you are.

The quilt is looking good. Sometimes the anticipation is actually worse than the actual doing. It sounds like that's the case with this quilt.

How do you manage to go a whole week without doing any housework?

SJSM said...

Love seeing Wind in the Wiskers getting towards the finish line. I hope to get a couple of gifts finished and in the mail this week. And I will add to the chorus, how do you get by with no housework for a WEEK?

piecefulwendy said...

So fun to see you making progress on the quilt! I apparently needed sleep this morning, because I overslept. I had woken up at 5:30 and thought I'd sleep another half-hour. Yeah, it ended up a bit longer and I woke at 8!! I never sleep in that late! With the days being shorter, as you said, I really feel behind! Hope you were able to get out a bit!

Lyndsey said...

I hate getting up and going to work in the dark and then driving home in the dark. When I'm working I have to try to get out at lunchtime in order to enjoy any daylight.

QuiltGranma said...

LOVE the two little kittens watching the goldfish that you will begin with next.