12/12/18

One More Time Around

It's going to be a good day...I can feel it in my quilting hands. There's just one more go-around in the outer border of Wind in the Whiskers, and then that puppy will be heading for the finish line. But before I get started on that...let's back up to the beginning of the day.

The latest Snow Globe block is off to a good start. Whenever I start anew on a block, I always have to first clean up all the leftover bits of floss from the last time I worked on it. That's what you see here:


If I'm remembering right, this one includes all five colors of sparkle floss used in this project. Of course, I can't do proper slow-stitching without my lap warmer cat. She was yesterday's photo for the photo-a-day project. Yesterday's prompt was "Begins with 'S'"...and that was easy. I happen to have two living things that begin with "S".


After that, I had to gird up my loins for a trip to the grocery store. I managed to get through the trip without killing anyone, although I was on the razor's edge of leaping across the counter and onto the cashier. Recognizing this would only slow down an already world-record-breakingly slow process, I held myself in check. It was a very close call.

When I got home, I unloaded the groceries, ate some lunch, and then got busy with my free motion quilting. My goal was to quilt the inner border, and I'd selected this motif from one I found on Pinterest.


Looks easy enough, right? In fact, it was. I did a little practice line, and then committed it to the quilt.


After that, I pulled the quilt off the machine so that I could load a practice piece for the outer border motif. In the process, I found the missing applique piece.


Of course, I did. Now that I've made a new one, fused it down and sewn it on, it only makes sense that the original one would show itself.

So the motif I've chosen for the outer border is another I found on Pinterest. I think originally I saw it on Instagram. It's not as complicated as it looks. You come in from the top and make a little swirl, doubling back on the outside of the swirl to the "petals" of the flower. When you've gone most of the way around, you echo back in one direction, then the other, and done. And, heck...I figured I could do that.

 So I loaded an old practice piece onto the machine and did it on the first try. Voila!


A couple of the "petals" are a little wider than I'd like them, but I'm confident I can pull this off. And since I'd worked on this quilt for three days in a row, I gave myself the rest of the afternoon off. I'll start on the outer border today, and I'm hoping I can get it finished. If I do, it'll be ready for binding.

The only other thing to happen yesterday was the arrival of this 36-fat quarter bundle from a Massdrop purchase I made recently. Since I'd used most all of my black and white scraps in the Rainbow Jubilee quilt, I wanted to get another grouping. I've already picked out my project for 2019, and it's going to use blacks and whites too.


This is the Black & White collection from Michael Miller...not that I pay much attention to fabric designers or names, but I know some of you do.


And what fun these were to go through. Here's the image from the Massdrop page that drew me in.


I pulled off the ribbon and looked through them...well, don't you think these are some of my favorites.


And how about these many ways with polka dots.


So that was a nice way to end the day.

It rained hard most of the day yesterday. Today is much nicer...chilly, but for now, blue sky and sunshine. I simply must get outside to empty the compost pail and fill the hummingbird feeder. We have Annas hummingbirds year-round at our location, and so I put food out for them. The kitties like to sit near the window where the feeder is and chatter at them. There's one small housekeeping chore to do today, but the rest will be NBFMQ (Nothing But Free Motion Quilting).

13 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I just saw that there is a Black & White quilt along starting in January. Your fabrics would go great for that, too. Nice free motion quilting.

Cathy Smith said...

Lucky you on that FQ bundle! I was so bummed that I missed it. Saw it, thought "I NEED that", then got busy and forgot to order it. :-( Oh, well, it's not as if I don't have any fabric in the house! Hahahaha!!!!

Debbie said...

I like both motifs you picked to FMQ. the petals look fine....each with their own personality:)

Julierose said...

Lovely quilting motifs...I am trying to hold the line with almost a year of "no buying"--I did re-build (this doesn't count...right??) my Dancin' Santas and my Geisha Faces from etsy...but that is it!! And does this mean that I can go hog-wild in 2019--??Huh???

Anyhoo, the plumber has just left with a nice gaping hole in our bathroom wall until he finds a piece to fit it...to cover the new brass piping...($$$$)
hugs, Julierose

djquilting said...

Your quilting motifs look great. At least that missing piece you found was not sewn onto the back of your quilt!

Quilting Babcia said...

Love those FMQ motifs! Can't draw them but maybe stitching will be easier. Of course you found the missing applique!

crazy quilter said...

Oh la la I do love those black and white prints! Sounds like you are going to have a very good day

Lyndsey said...

I love the motifs you've chosen for the quilts and those black and white fabrics are just perfect.

mangozz said...

Those quilting designs look like fun! That fabric bundle looks wonderful.

piecefulwendy said...

Well, I know how your NBFMQ day came out (still happy dancing here)! You made that swirly flower look like easy peasy; I'm pretty sure mine would work ok on the practice run and then not so much on the real quilt. There was no sewing for me yesterday, but I did have a quick grocery run. Dinner out with friends last night, not supposed to be a birthday dinner, but turned out to be. I tried to keep it quiet. Anyway, I sure missed that bundle on Massdrop! Love those kitty fabrics!

Lynn - JnL4God said...

I really like that swirly flower design, I'll have to try that out on something. Thanks for posting.

Lady Jane said...

My free motion isn't that great. You do such a fantastic job. What is your secret. Hugs, lj

Natureluvr57 said...

Like the flower motif and those cat faces on black-they look like they're naughty kitties but so cute