11/6/18

Above the Clouds

Sometimes you're in the clouds...sometimes you're above the clouds. That's the way it is here at the Three Cats Ranch. Look through the tree tops in the image below, and you'll notice there's fog in the valley below with just some hilltop islands poking above them. The lowlanders are in the fog. For us, it's a sunshiny morning.


By the way, you wouldn't have been able to see through there a few days ago. With the big tree gone, the view has opened up just a tad. We might be able to see Mt. Adams from the house now.

As expected, I finished up the 10th of 12 blocks for the Snow Globes quilt yesterday. There's lots of sparkle in this one.


With just two more to go, it's getting close to a finish.

I had some errands to run and grocery shopping to do yesterday morning. While I was standing in the check-out line, the sewing machine shop called about my machine. It seems Bernina got back to them with a solution to the error problem on my machine. There's both a mechanical fix and a possible small circuit board replacement. We're trying the mechanical fix first. With it being an intermittent problem, it's impossible to know if that will fix it permanently. I'll just need to bring it home and sew. Fingers crossed that fixes it. If I get the error code again, we'll know to replace the circuit board. Now my machine is waiting in line for its turn at the bench again. Why it didn't stay first in line is beyond me, but whatever. Pfelicity Pfaff is happy to be sewing away here at home.

When I got home from grocery shopping, I started cutting strips for the November Rainbow Jubilee blocks. My original intent was to choose burgundy as November's color, but I have an idea these are more on the rust side. Do your eyes play tricks on you when you start getting into the finer gradations of color? Oh well...it matters not. Rust can be the color for November if it's going to be so insistent.


I'll still need to decide on a color for December, and I'm running short on colors. Nevertheless, I think dark purple will work. We used purple earlier in the year, but checking my blocks, they look more on the lavender side of things.

Also, I needed more blacks and whites. I need 96 strips to finish the quilt. I hope I have enough here, but it's doubtful. I'll probably be cutting more in December.


Smitty watched all of this with rapt attention. He's still looking for the door into summer. When the weather starts turning cold and wet, he does what all of our cats do: he runs from door to door to be let out, looking for the door that leads to summer. And it's a bummer for him. We're expecting our first freezing temperatures toward the end of the week.


It's going to be a run-around day. I'm getting my hair cut, and then it'll be the last CSA pick-up for the season. (There's still one more pick-up after this, but we split our share with Erik and Mae this year.) There probably won't be much time for sewing today, but there's always time for slow stitching. With the Snow Globes block finished, I traced out the 6th of nine blocks for Friendship's Garden. It's hooped up and waiting for me downstairs.


It gives me the perfect ending for this post. So listen up, my friends, because this goes for you. It says:

If friends were flowers, I'd pick you!

9 comments:

Denise :) said...

Sweet finish on the globe - I think it may be my favorite of the group. My daughter and family took a trip up to Burritt Museum, which is located on Monte Sano Mountain, over the weekend. She noted that they saw clouds when they were at the base of the mountain, and when they got to the top, they were definitely in the clouds! She said it was funny because the cloud was sinking around them...pretty soon they were in sunshine, literally walking on clouds! Pretty cool. Your view is gorgeous! No more parachuting carpenter ants (fingers crossed) and a grander view! Win/win! :)

Julierose said...

Beautiful snow globe--I love those blocks; we are in deep fog today...went out first thing and voted; and then off to the grocery store; then walked on my treadmill; and finally, after laundry--about 20 min sewing the Bart Maverick Star (no 2) together..and I am tuckered out. ;000
I am finding that I cannot run around all day like I used to in my "salad days"...but that's ok I'm still looking down at the grass and not UP!! lol
hugs Julierose

crazy quilter said...

Love your posts! Pet The kitties for me.

mangozz said...

Those snow globes are turning out gorgeous! You picked the perfect background print. I stick with vintage machines - less things can go wrong with them.

piecefulwendy said...

I'm with Smitty, I'm still looking for the door to summer/fall. We have a light dusting of snow this morning, and I think this one might stay on the ground and not melt. Ah well. Good for tucking in and sewing!

Brown Family said...

The view, even with the low lying clouds is amazing. I so see rust colored strips, too!

Californianativedaughter said...

Love those snow globes. Fog is so unpredicationable. My sister boarded a plane earlier this week to visit her new granddaughter in SoCal. Both airports were fogged in-doesn't usually happen in San Diego or Palomar/McClellan Aiports. She had to come home and drive instead. After being born and raised in SF, we are used to fog, but was surprised at the closing of these two airports-haven't heard it happened before. Regarding your sewing machine, good luck. I noticed several years ago, attending quilting classes at several different quilt shops that women were having problems with electronic sewing machines. For that reason, I have hesitated in buying a new machine and just stick to my reliable, mechanical Viking that's over 30 years old.

Rosemary

QuiltGranma said...

We're looking for the door that leads to late spring/ early summer as well!

quiltzyx said...

Those really do look like islands in a lake instead of mountain tops. Very cool. We had some misty fog a few times this week - actually had to use my windshield wipers. Nice cool nights though the days were in the 80s.

Great finish on the Reindeer snow globe.

I can tell from here you are looking just gorgeous with your new haircut...

Hope Bertha is healed up, but I imagine I will find out soon, as I catch up on the posts.