11/7/18

Expletive!

Yesterday ended up being more of a run-around day than anticipated. While I was getting my hair cut, I got a message that Big Bertha was ready to be picked up. I needed to make a stop at a specialty grocery along the way, and then I headed across town to pick up my sewing machine. When I got her home and set her up, she was looking pretty good. No error code on the screen, and the green light there, just left of center indicated she was raring to go.


So I got to work sewing together the strips for the November Rainbow Jubilee blocks. I didn't really expect to finish them, but there they are. I'll be starting on the black and white ones...today, hopefully.


While I was sewing, I noticed the machine was making a new noise not heard previously. It's not that I'd never heard it, but it was happening every time I stopped sewing and then started up again. It was a mechanical noise...like a spring "spronging" (my word for the noise), every time the feed dogs re-engaged. I watched carefully as I took the first stitches each time, tried pulling out and reinserting the knee lift lever, turning the hand crank, cleaning under the stitch plate (although it was perfectly clean having just come from service), rethreading the machine, removing the bobbin case...nothing made any difference. It bothered my ears every time it happened, which was at the beginning of every line of stitching.

When Mike got home, I asked him to come downstairs and listen. He's pretty good with mechanical things, and so I thought he might even be able to fix it. When I turned the machine on (third time since I got it home), the error code reappeared. PUCK!!! Only, I was kind of glad it happened so fast because this is all fresh in everybody's mind now. I called the shop immediately and told them I want the circuit board replaced, and no more pucking around. So that's what will happen. I've turned the machine on and off five more times since then, and I'm not able to clear the code. I guess Pfelicity will be back in service faster than you can say "Bob's your uncle." The one positive in all of this is that it's no longer an intermittent problem, which is the most exasperating kind. Now it's consistent and persistent, and just maybe it'll get fixed.

So that happened.

The only other sewing-related thing I did yesterday was to get a start on Block 6 of Friendship's Garden. My first task on a new block is to use up the little leftover bits from the last time I worked on it.


Now my little floss bobbins are all neat and tidy, and I can start fresh with fresh floss. It's an OCD thing, if you must know.

Our temperatures haven't dipped below freezing yet, but it is decidedly cooler than it has been. Neither kitty is beating a path to the door this morning. Sadie is contentedly tucked into her quilt.


Smitty is on his pole next to the window. He isn't even looking out the window, apparently believing it's too cold even to cast his gaze outside.


I'll be getting my monthly pedicure this morning, and then I'll be heading for home. I'm hoping there will be enough time left in the day to get started on those black and white strips for the Rainbow Jubilee blocks. When those are finished, I'll be biting the bullet and starting to quilt Wind in the Whiskers. I've been dragging my feet for about two years on that quilt. Time to get it finished and off my mind. It won't be finished until next month, but once I get started on something, I can usually follow through to the bitter end.

There is some canning in my future too. I'm thinking this weekend, I'll be trying a new recipe for cranberry pepper jam. Also, I'll be pickling some beets and some brussels sprouts. There's never a shortage of things to do.

7 comments:

Denise :) said...

On the one hand, I'm really sorry that your machine came back and you were ready to sew and it was no good. That's disappointing. On the other, I'm glad it looks like it may be able to be fixed once and for all because of it!! Enjoy your day!! :)

Quilting Babcia said...

So sorry to hear Big Bertha is still being a little snot! Bernina needs to up its service training for its "techs" because obviously the person who has been servicing yours has no idea what he/she is doing. That said I'm looking forward to hearing more about your cranberry pepper jam, sounds like it could be a winner! Also, I'm very late in getting around to comments but I really loved all those photos from your last RV adventure last weekend.

Sandra W said...

My friend has a 770, as do I, and our local service fellow could not fix it. He finally sent it to Bernina and it was cured with a new circuit board. Our service manager worked as a technician for Bernina for 16 years before starting his own business so he's pretty good. Between my friend's holidays and technician's holidays she wasn't all that happy.
My machine made a funny noise for quite a while--all the time. I finally noticed that the bobbin winder was slightly pushed to the left and the machine was winding a not-there bobbin. Once I figured this out and corrected the problem machine worked like a charm.
THEN for some reason I couldn't get the bobbin out of the case. I had to dismantle the bobbin case and push the bobbin out with a big wooden toothpick (I found this solution on the internet). So once I fixed it I continue to sew everything in that color in case it happened again. It has happened a couple of times but I haven't taken my machine in yet as I have a retreat coming up and need it. BTW when I say my technician is local he's really about 30 miles out of town so each trip in and out means a big hunk of the day.
That said, though, I do love my Bernina. I don't use the embroidery potential and could have bought a lesser model but I wanted the large needle to neck area for quilting.
Also, I recently learned about needles for cross stitch too! They are blunt to ease through the weave. Who knew?

Debbie said...

Well, darn, what a lot of rot! Sure hope you get them set straight on this one. Thank goodness for the back up machine.

piecefulwendy said...

I think Smitty's facial expression about says it all for you there -- the sewing machine, the weather. Phooey. Sadie, in her wisdom, is doing the best thing, and taking a nap. Sure hope your machine gets fixed ASAP. I might even consider setting that quilt aside and not working on that just yet. haha -- am I helping??

mangozz said...

Sorry to hear about your machine again. It's a good thing you have a back-up.

quiltzyx said...

Geezy peezy, poor Bertha, poor Barbara! Too much aggravation. Thank goodness for Pfelicity.
Glad you can also turn to your slow stitching too.

Oh my, don't the cats look comfy, all curled up. This morning was my first morning of having just the right amount of covers on so I was nice & toasty and DID NOT want to get out of bed!