10/19/18

The Beginning of Barns

It was so exciting yesterday to get a start on the Appalachian Dreams quilt. Isn't it terrible to get old? You know you're old when a new embroidery project makes you want to jump up and shout, "Isn't life grand!?!" Laugh if you want. I'm not proud. But I am excited about this new project. Of course, I started with the quilt block because I was curious to see how it was going to look with the brown floss. When I finished for the morning, it looked like this.


So, I'm liking that. I worried that I would need to use different colors of floss for the quilt block, but I think stitching the whole thing in brown will be just fine.

After that I did my grocery shopping, had some lunch, took a short nap, and then I made my way into the sewing room to do a little work on the cardinal. Only one section was completed yesterday, and it was good to take a little bit of a break from it.


The next section is laid out under its protective shield. Having given myself a little time off, I'm ready to get back to it today.


It was late in the day by that time. I noticed how pretty one of the Japanese maple trees is looking in the waning rays of sunshine. I like the contrast with the blue spruce behind.


In its prime, its leaves are purple. With autumn in full swing, its leaves are fading to a rusty red.

Smitty was on his catio enjoying the late afternoon. I was taking his picture through the laundry room window.


Really? Must you?


I tried another new recipe last night. This is Pan-Roasted Eggplant with Peanut-Chile Sauce. You need to be seriously in love with eggplant to love this, but I'll tell you about it, just in case "seriously in love with eggplant" describes you. We're kind of lukewarm on eggplant around here. I like it roasted. That's about it.

So this is done in a skillet. I used my heavy LeCreuset skillet and used my smaller Lodge cast iron skillet as a sort of "press" to pan roast the eggplant slices. You'll have to read the recipe for a better explanation. Then it's served up with a peanut-chile sauce (very spicy...so go easy with the sambal oelek), and sprinkled with green onion and cilantro. We liked it enough that I added it to my recipe database.


In the future, I think I'd cut the eggplant slices thinner (say 1/2-inch) and then just roast them in the oven. The whole pan-roasting thing didn't add that much to it, and oven roasting would yield an eggplant that is a little less mushy. (How's that for a rousing endorsement of a recipe?) Actually, we did like it and sometimes we're just looking for new ways to use the less-familiar and less-favored things that come in our CSA shares. This is worth a second look.

On the other hand, the pan-roasting thing taught me a way to press panini without the need for a panini press. Certain recipes require certain rather expensive small appliances and I'm at a place in my life where I'm trying to get rid of stuff, not add new stuff. So, I've resisted the panini press in the same way I've resisted getting an Instant Pot. Matthew swears by the Instant Pot. I'm sure it's a very useful item for a working person, but I'll stick with my slow cooker. We're not in a hurry here at the Three Cats Ranch.

Which brings me back full circle to the beginning of this post. Now, I'm itching to get at that slow-stitching. Does slow get any better than that?

7 comments:

Sher S. said...

Do you have a waffle iron with a flat side to it. I use that as a press for sandwiches. I love the look of the brown floss for the barn, it gives it that rustic look. Smitty needs to chill about having his photo taken, his a handsome cat.

Sarah said...

Anyone not excited to work on their new project needs a different new project!

I recently made Moroccan Honey Glazed eggplant (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/330592428893588472/) and felt it was a very flavorful winner. I used a few chili flakes instead of the harissa and can't wait to make it again. I'm fond of eggplant as it's kind of tasteless and takes on whatever the recipe is, altho of course you have to watch over cooking it into mush.

Kate said...

It's been fun to watch the cardinal come together. I love your new stitchery project! Coloring the quilt blocks is such a fun idea. Hope you get in lots of good stitching time this weekend.

piecefulwendy said...

I'm not so keen on eggplant. I can only eat a bit of it and then I get a little overwhelmed. I'm with you on the Insta Pot. I haven't got room for another big appliance, and I've never been a fan of pressure cookers. Smitty's face made me smile; those cat personalities! While in Duluth, we did manage to see some fall foliage, but it had peaked before we arrived. Many of the leaves had already fallen off the trees. It was still a pretty drive, however.

mangozz said...

My Tuxedo cat would absolutely love that catio! He's an indoor cat now, but he was an outdoor stray that I adopted. The condo complex I live in does not allow cats outside and I would be afraid he would wander off and get lost anyways. Besides, indoor cats seem to live much longer. I just feel so bad that he doesn't get to go outside anymore. I understand about wanting/needing less appliances. I have no place to store a lot of my fabric and quilting supplies as it is, and I would rather make room for more of that instead of more kitchen stuff that I seldom use. Do whatever makes you happy.

quiltzyx said...

I like the look of the barn quilt block with the brown stitching. I think it will make it that much more cohesive with the barn itself. :)

Eggplant? No, thank you very much. One of those things I've tried over the years & still don't care for. More for those who are "seriously in love with eggplant" !

Brown Family said...

THe trees are lovely. Ours are still green!