10/18/18

Tail Feathers

The bird is two-thirds finished now. There are just a few sections left that contain very many half square triangles, and so the remainder should go a little faster. Pretty much just the tail feathers are left to be finished. Here's where it stood when I walked away yesterday.


There are still two rows of six 36-patch sections left to do. I was hoping to get it finished by Sunday, but it will probably be more like Tuesday. I've worked on it for nearly a week straight, and it's getting tiresome. Also, my left wrist is bothering me from holding the ruler to cut and trim, and also from using my fingers to nest the seams. Quilting: Not for wimps.

In yesterday's mail, the fabric I ordered for the back arrived. Is this perfect or what?


While I was sewing yesterday, Smitty let me know in no uncertain terms that he isn't at all happy with our arrangement right now. He wants to be up in his Clubhouse when I'm in the sewing room. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the "Clubhouse," it's the narrow area in the ceiling of the sewing room between the main floor and the basement of our house. The kitties like to get up there for napping. It's dark, warm, and private...with the occasional intruding mouse for fun. The problem with letting him up there is that unless they are both corralled inside the house, I can't be sure if someone is still outside. We monitor their outdoor time pretty carefully, and so I need to know where they both are at any given time.

Getting back to this picture, Smitty wanted up in the Clubhouse, but Sadie was still outside, and so the Clubhouse was a no-go. It has accordion doors, and with enough commitment, both kitties can pry them open. To thwart their efforts we've stuffed door stops under them to keep them closed. It's insulting, really. And so here, he's very unhappy about being barred from his Clubhouse, and he's letting me know it. He was only barely willing to turn his head for his picture.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to enroll in Molly University to learn better staff training. Molly University...that's MU...also affectionately known as "Mew." 


Outside, Sadie was enjoying the fall color. Two of the trees in front of the house are dressed in their autumn best. They'll continue to change to a bright orange as the season progresses...that is, unless we get a big wind storm as we often do in October.


I like how this next one changes from top to bottom.


We're being good on our diets...aside from our First Friday dessert. Last night's offering was these Roasted Zucchini and Black Bean Tostadas. That's a link to the recipe there. Heck, I'd make these even if we weren't on a diet.


The recipe calls for radishes on the top. I didn't have radishes, but I did have hakurei turnips. If you've never had hakurei turnips, they are about the size and texture of a radish, pure white, and mild in flavor. Here's an image from the internet, courtesy of Tim Sackton:


They were great in this recipe, and so it's good to have a way to use them. We get them a couple of times per season in our CSA shares, and I'm never really sure what to do with them. Often they sit in the vegetable crisper until I can compost them in good conscience. Not any more. Now I'll know what to make whenever they show their little faces. Also, I used sunflower seeds instead of pumpkin seed kernels. This, after consulting with the Resident Engineer. Sunflower seeds are on his I-can-eat-them list.

Also yesterday, I finished stitching the next eight names for the Shop Hop quilt. I'll get to the quilt blocks after I've finished the cardinal.


And don't you know I jumped right on tracing out the first of 12 blocks for the Appalachian Memories quilt.


For this quilt, I'll do all the stitching in the variegated brown Valdani floss I showed you in an earlier post.


But I'm going to use crayon to color the barn quilts...thus:


While I considered using colored pencil, I decided against it. As it turns out, colored pencil will require some extra supplies I don't currently have, and so I'll stick with crayon for this quilt. I will use colored pencil at some point in the future. For now...it's hooped up and ready to go.


I'm starting on that right now. The waiting is over. After that, grocery shopping. After that, the cardinal awaits.

14 comments:

Sally Trude said...

It's obviously time for pet microchips to come with a "find my cat" app (like find my phone.) But until then I guess you'll just have to get those tiles and glue them on their foreheads or other hard to reach spot.

Cathy Smith said...

Hey Smitty! That is THE BEST side eye stink eye I've ever seen! If Mom didn't act on your message there is simply no hope for her. :-(

beaquilter said...

This cardinal is looking awesome

Robin said...

Sometimes it's good to walk away from a project for a while. Returning refreshed to do a row or two. It's not worth a Carple tunnel problem to finish this beautiful bird pattern. Just do a row or two a day. We need to save your typing hands :)
quiltyladyrr@gmail.com

Brown Family said...

The fabric for the back is perfect! THat was a great find.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

The Cardinal is awesome! Perfect backing, too. I've had a few stink eyes too - had to do flea collar changes and you would think I was killing them.

Debbie said...

Your cardinal is really grand! And you did find the perfect backing fabric.

Vicki W said...

The Cardinal is going to be so pretty! The backing fabric is perfect.

Susan said...

I agree that is the perfect backing for the cardinal quilt. Are you sure it is a good idea to work on the cardinal quilt after grocery shopping? :-)

Smitty, if you want to get in the clubhouse, go round-up Sadie and bring her into the corral.

I have never heard of hakurei turnips. Will have to check them out.

Marilyn said...

Enjoy your blog!
What do you use to trace your embroidery patterns?
Thank you, Marilyn

SJSM said...

The cardinal has given you many titles for your daily blog. What will you do when it is done? I like that cardinal. If I didn’t have so many WIPs I would put it on the list.
The outrageously large and quality fabric give-a-way is over. We are guessing a total of over 100 boxes bags and rolls of fabric, 5-6 boxes of Notions, 2 large tubs of yarns and embroidery floss and another of threads 1 large tub of edging and lace, 2 garbage bags of shoulder pads and about 4 gallons of buttons, many on cards. . At the end we had 2 boxes of fabric, ½ bag of shoulder pads, a few books, many patterns, 2 sacks of scraps for Cubies and that was it. A very easy clean up. Boy, am I glad this day is over. At 4:30 I went home and took a short nap.

Now back to my sewing room. I can’t wait to get started on the next project!

Californianativedaughter said...

We have three feline roommates. Ben, the laid-back orange tabby. Tabitha, the sweet little black kitty figured out to open door knobs by jumping and moving them with her paws. She doesn't do that anymore, but our youngest, Joshua can and does open both closet sliding doors and the new handles we installed when we remodeled. When we pick them out, kind of a side-was S, we picked them because we liked them and they were a changes from the old ones. Never once did we imagine that any cat could/would open them! So we have to be cautious of what we are doing because the front and back doors have those fancy handles. The only saving grace is that they are more difficult to open, I assume because they have double locks. Joshua also has traits that are similar to our 18 month old granddaughter! She learned from him how to open the doors. At first she would just shut the door when he opened it, but on Wednesday, she took advantage of his ability and escaped. We have to be more careful with her as we want to supervise her if she decides to climb uo the stairs.
Rosemary

quiltzyx said...

Geez Smitty! Mom does not deserve such a rabid side-eye stinkeye! Yikes!! You should have just hollered at Sadie to come in, then you know Mom would have opened up the Clubhouse for you.

piecefulwendy said...

Smitty is definitely giving you the stink eye. Haha. Will be fun to see you work on the barn quilts! Your cardinal is looking good!