10/20/18

Home Stretch

When I got into the sewing room yesterday, I started sewing and didn't stop until I'd completed the fifth row of six sections. Only the tip of the tail is left to finish.


When I've finished the final row of six sections, there will still be a pieced border to add, but that will be a breeze compared to the quilt center. At least I'll be able to chain piece it, and there will be fewer colors. Already I've reached a point where I'm finished with the browns, oranges, blacks, and whites. Oh yes, and I can't forget that I'll be adding an applique eye to the bird and some applique holly berries. So it's close, but not quite there. It'll be good to clear some space from my work table. Once started, these mosaic quilts are slave masters. With several colors sorted into several color values, it's pretty much required that one keep going to the bitter end.

And Smitty is bitter about all of this. For one thing, he can't walk freely on the table when there are so many pieces spread around.


Instead, he's been keeping things organized near the sewing machine.

How can you cut anything with these dull snippers?


On the other paw, this chair looks promising. I could take a nap here.


If you're wondering about that medicine bottle behind his head, no, it isn't for headaches, or anxiety, or rage attacks. It's my sharps container. I put my bent pins and broken needles in there.

Before heading into the sewing room yesterday, I stitched up the whole of the barn quilt block.


By the time I'd finished for the morning, I was well on my way stitching the barn. I'm loving that variegated brown Valdani floss.


I've been pulling off a length about 16 inches, but it wants to shred by the time I get to the end, and it starts leaving fuzzies on my embroidery. I'm thinking some Thread Heaven might help. I'll give it a try this morning and report back on how it goes. Sadly, Thread Heaven is no longer in production. When I learned it was being discontinued, I purchased a couple of containers. It's a useful product, and fortunately, there are alternatives. You can read more about it at that link I've given you.

Also, a few of you "no-reply" people have asked me what kind of pens I use to transfer my embroidery designs. I like the Pigma Micron pens. They come in several sizes and lots of colors. My own preference is an 02 size. It gives me a nice thin line (permanent). Anything smaller doesn't write well on fabric, and the point is rather fragile. Some people like the FriXion pens with ink that disappears with ironing. I have used them on occasion, but I worry about them a little bit. The manufacturer specifically states not to use them on fabric. My personal belief is that they haven't been tested long-term on fabric, and possibly they're fine. For me, the Pigma Micron pens are a viable alternative, and so that's what I use. It really comes down to personal preference and level of anxiety about such things. (See reference to medicine bottle above.) And as long as we're talking about this, I might as well add that if you really hate tracing, you can always give the Sulky Sticky Fabri-Solvy a try. I've used that before, and I would use it again. It's especially good for designs that are very detailed. I used it when I made the Vintage Tin quilt several years ago.


There was no way I wanted to trace out those large and detailed designs, and so I gave it a try. Still, Pigma Micron pens are my preference. If you're interested in doing more hand embroidery, then it's worth it to give all of these products a try and see what you like best.

It might be the last nice day of fall today. Mike and I are heading south to pick up another wine shipment. And the cardinal has had me sewing at such a fevered pitch that I've completely neglected housekeeping chores this week. Probably I'll take a break from it today and get caught up. There's always time for slow-stitching though, and so that's where I'm headed next.

12 comments:

Nancy said...

Hi I thought of you yesterday when I made the mistake of going to Fabric Depot. I was there in crowds of people for way too long. Long cutting line and horrendous checkout line. I managed to not get killed or kill anyone in the process, that is when your grocery shopping came to mind. I had a small breakfast and I was extremely hangry by the time I got out of there. It is sad that they are going out of business but the new business manager has run it into the ground. It was no longer the biggest fabric store west of the Mississippi. By the end of the trip I had to rush home have some lunch at almost 4pm and sit in my chair to recover. I wish I had been sewing instead. I should have bailed before I got my two pieces of fabric cut.

Sarah said...

I use Thread Heaven for my hexies and also had to “stock up” when I heard they were going out of business. Pretty sure I now have a lifetime supply!! One less thing to stress over I guess...

Quilting Tangent said...

Wonderful projects and Smitty will make sure everything gets done right.

Barbara said...

I don't use Frixion pens on fabric either - especially after reading this post with info directly from the manufacturer: https://quiltskipper.com/2015/08/frixion-pens-all-you-need-to-know/

quiltzyx said...

The Cardinal reminds me of looking through that "blurred" bathroom glass a little bit! It is very cool.

Oh my, poooor Smitty.

Love the way the variegated brown floss is looking on the barn! I recently saw that muppin.com has a thread conditioner called "Mind Your Own Beeswax" - looks sort of like a chapstick! https://shop.muppin.com/category/fabric-manipulation-shop

Dorothy said...

Thanks for the heads up about Thread Heaven. Will have to run to the nearest JoAnns and stock up :-) I use it when doing the hand stitching down part of the binding Love the cardinal. And really love the brown for the barns. You inspire me to get back into the "slow stitching" of embroidery. Bad hands and all :-)

Sandra W said...

Thread Heaven is a great product. When I heard it was closing I also bought a lifetime supply I can’t understand why no one bought the company. It works well with Valdani and everything else. I presume you are threading the needle as it comes
Off the spool.I’m sure you know that but some of your readers may not.

Tilly said...

Love your cardinal,looks great! Valdani theads are very nice to work with
And now time for the kitties.Have a nice day.

piecefulwendy said...

Did you have any better luck after switching the needle on the barn embroidery? I put my sharps, bent pins, and old rotary blades in an empty Altoids tin and mark it "old needles". The medicine bottle is a good idea too. Did Smitty ever get to go up in the cubbie?

Kate said...

That cardinal is gorgeous! But it's like doing a puzzle in fabric, you have to keep all those shades and such straight. Hope you have a nice drive out to pick up the wine and have a chance to enjoy the nice weather while it lasts. We always use this might be the last nice day of autumn to go goof off outside.

Cathy said...

I use a medicine bottle, too, for my old needles and pins. Also, I’m with you on the Frixion pens, too. My go-to has been the micron pens for decades. Funny how great (read: old) minds think alike.

Brown Family said...

I use a medicine bottle for sharps, too. My hubby drilled a hole in the top so I do not have to lake the lid off every time!