10/17/18

Bird Legs

Slow and steady wins the race. This is the moral of one of Aesop's fables, “The Tortoise and the Hare.” Too bad I'm not in a race because this is a slow process. The first section I worked on yesterday was almost all background. The sections without half square triangles go together pretty quickly. This first one had just a little bit of the holly leaf in the lower right-hand corner. Otherwise, I sped through it.


"NEXT!" I yelled. Actually not. I'm not accustomed to yelling when I'm in my sewing room alone...although I'll admit to cursing sometimes. Like for this next section. There were quite a few half square triangles in this one. Keeping the orientation, colors, and color values straight is a real brain tease.


The third section wasn't too bad. In the lower right-hand corner of this one, the first little bit of the bird's legs are coming into view.


This last section of the day was probably the most difficult so far. Keeping the legs oriented properly and then adding in sections of brown. One word, "Oy." (Is that actually a word? Or did I make it up?)


When I finished that section, it was close to time for quitting for the day. Now the bird looks like this:


Glutton for punishment, I started on the fifth section for this row. Then, mercifully, I decided it really was time to stop if I was going to get dinner on the table. Here's where I left it.


Lest you think I'm only working on the bird, I'll have you know that I've hooped the last two of eight names for the Shop Hop quilt. When the bird is finished, I'll be ready to start sewing those blocks together.


And finishing this up means I can finally get started on the first of the blocks for the Appalachian Memories quilt.


Knowing that gives me courage to get back into the sewing room and continue working on the cardinal. Not that one has anything to do with another...but you know how energizing a new project can be, even if it is just slow stitching.

If you're looking for me today, you'll probably find me next to my light box tracing out the first block. I can hardly wait to get started on this.

5 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

I love that Appalachian Memories quilt more every time I see it! Here's hoping you can get to it soon. Snow in our forecast tonight, seems almost like we've moved directly from early summer to winter, sigh.

crazy quilter said...

Well I say the bird will fly to the finish line tomorrow! Ha! I do sometimes say things that myself in the sewing room and next is usually one of the things I say. So many quilts so little time, right? We have had nothing but rain here in North Texas for almost two weeks. I saw a funny on Facebook it said Noah called he will be here in 10 minutes to pick us up. The weather is certainly much cooler with all this rain . I am not complaining but I was hoping for some nice fall weather . I have high hopes it will arrive soon or at least I hope the Sun returns.. keep on sewing and pet the kitties from me.

Tilly said...

Love your bird, have fun with your new project.

SJSM said...

I am liking that bird! It seems all are giving weather reports. Well, it is perfect weather here in the SF Bay Area. The nights are dipping into the high 40*’s and low 50*’s the days are high 70’s and low 80's. Good sleeping weather at night and nice clear and just warm enough weather during the day. Fall is definitely here. The rainy weather will hopefully start soon.

Currently I am working on fabric covered clothesline bowls for Christmas presents. Two down and I don’t know how many more to go. Whatever I fit in with a maximum of eight.

Enjoy the bird and the shop hop soon to be finished flimsy.

quiltzyx said...

I always enjoy seeing your progress on your slow stitching projects and am looking forward to the barns!