10/21/18

A Mix of Old and New

What's new with you?

Here's what's new here at the Three Cats Ranch. Yesterday Mike picked up the little compact dishwasher for the RV. It's practically the whole reason we bought the new RV...that, and all the other stuff. Originally, it was supposed to be a non-optional option in our rig...only then, non-optional became nonexistent when the manufacturer stopped installing them. We couldn't even get them to do it despite our ongoing and insistent begging. Not to worry...the Resident Engineer can take care of that, and so he's done his research and settled on this model. Straight out of the box, it looks like this:


In a word: "Shiny." The door opens down, and inside...


I expect it'll work great once it's installed...and once we get the cardboard and styrofoam out of it. So, I guess you know how the Resident Engineer will be spending the rest of his weekend. He's been spending the last 24 hours researching Home Depot and Lowes for the plumbing parts he'll need. Last night he was very excited to show me a plumbing configuration that hooked into the back of the dishwasher and then had a pipe that led over to the sink. He was ecstatic at his find and showed me the picture on his iPad. I was enthused too..."That's amazing!" I said, while mentally shrugging my shoulders. I'm glad this stuff turns his crank. He says the same thing about me and my quilting.

But what turns both our cranks these days is our PAVED ROAD!!! Just take a look at that shiny asphalt. It hasn't even been striped yet!!! Yahoo!!! (Don't think I can't tell you're mentally shrugging your shoulders.) We only drive about 500 yards in this direction before hitting the road that was paved some five years ago. Still, the lack of dust/mud thrills us to no end. I wonder when we'll stop being excited about it.


We were headed down to Witness Tree Vineyards to pick up a wine shipment. There's the witness tree there on the left. We hardly ever get good weather when we come down this direction, and so it was nice to see blue sky and sunshine.


Here's another shot of the witness tree. I've written about the witness tree before. You can find my blog post about it right here and an article from the New York Times about witness trees in general. And I love this tree.


Here's an article about this particular tree, hanging on the wall inside the wine tasting room. Remember that you can make the image larger by clicking on it, and that might make it easier to read.


Across the vineyard was this old barn and a more modern version to its right. Which one do you like better?


Sadly, the Witness Tree Vineyard is closing down within the next year. The winery has been sold, the vines have been removed, and the wines are going on sale by the case. We learned about their closing at our last pick-up. We're told there will probably be one more pick-up, and then Witness Tree Vineyards will be no more. It's sad because they make the most wonderful wines. We'll miss them when they're gone.

After picking up our shipment, we headed to the Golden Valley Brewery in McMinnville for lunch. It's a favorite lunching spot. They had some beautiful trees dressed in their autumn best in the parking lot.


Inside, Mike had a beer, and I had a hard blackberry cider. Yum.


Mike had a chipotle burger with lots o' bacon.


I had a veggie sandwich with marinated portabello mushrooms, roasted red peppers, and a little too much cheese.


Despite the cheese...Yum.

Back home we picked up the mail, and I found a new book I'd ordered. I read about this book on Melissa's Sea Breeze Snippets blog. Since she's done all the work for me, I'll just direct you to her blog post to read about it. It has lots of handy tips about how to use modern methods to achieve traditional results. I agreed with Melissa that there are lots of useful tips in this book. She also notes the book is out of print, but it's still available on Amazon if you're interested.


The Cardinal Mosaic has a little bit of applique when I've finished with the piecing. There was some good info about hand applique in the book. I've been wanting to give it a try, and so this might just be the motivation I need to get started.

The only sewing I did yesterday was to stitch some more of the Appalachian Memories barn. I am loving how this is looking, and I can't wait to do some more on it this morning.


As I mentioned yesterday, I was going to try some Thread Heaven on the Valdani floss since it wants to shred before I've finished the length I'm using. I wouldn't say the Thread Heaven made much difference, and so today I'll try a different needle with a larger eye and see if that helps. Maybe it'll take a combination of the two. I'll let you know. And this being Sunday, I'm linking up to:


Also, I'm caught up on my housework and so I'll get back to the Cardinal Mosaic.


Just six sections to go. I won't get it finished today, but maybe tomorrow.

12 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

I love to hear someone say... "can't wait to get at it today"!
Enjoy your embroidery!

Lee said...

I've been by that Witness Tree. I like the old barns better than the new, but have noticed they are falling to the ravages of time. The one that was on the property where I grew up (Gopher Valley near Sheridan)was lost many years ago, but I have a wonderful pic I took a summer or two before it fell. Many good memories there. I like the GV Brewery's Reuben Sandwich - oh yum! And if you've been to Monmouth, the restaurant formerly known as J's 99 Grill is now Grain Station Brew Works (same family). They still have a lot of the original menus items from J's.

Cathy Smith said...

The ONLY bad thing about a C5 convertible is the lack of trunk space! Really limits how many cases of wine you can bring home with you :-( (This is the voice of experience. There is a red one sitting in my garage!)

Quilting Babcia said...

OK, I've meandered off your post twice due to those links (ordered the book used on Amazon for 1.71 plus shipping, not bad!). I remember that witness tree, so sad the winery is closing and the property sold. You went to Mac but no mention of Boersmas, what's that about? Golden Valley used to be one of our favorite places to stop for a bite. Love the way your barn is looking, and that beautiful glossy road!

quiltzyx said...

Since the Witness Tree is classified as an Oregon Heritage Tree, that should mean that it's safe from whatever happens when the winery is gone, right? It's always sad when a local company closes down.
I like the old barn best - and it looks like it has a new roof. The other one just looks like a plain ol' shed.
Love the photo of the red leaves! Sort of makes me forget that it's supposed to be around 90* here today. :)

WoolenSails said...

That will be nice to have, hate washing dishes in the camper, the sink is too small.
That is a beautiful place to go for a drive, love the tree and it's history.
Your cardinal is coming along beautifully, that is a lot of piecing.

Debbie

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Interesting post and I must say that is a great pic of the two barns side by side. I used to live on a gravel road and know the excitment of getting pavement. It's a big deal!!!!! Congrats! Your cardinal mosaic is awesome!

Vivian said...

Liked the link to the Witness Tree! Great story. I'd be excited about new pavement too-not so much dust in the house ! Your cardinal is lovely. Amazing job you have done on it with the blend of colors and the half square triangles going this way and that with the help of your two assistants. Love your blog- your energy and enthusiasm are inspiring.'

piecefulwendy said...

I'm sad to hear that the winery is closing. That tree is very cool, with an amazing history. I love old barns, and old buildings. By the way, if you don't follow Bozlo on Instagram, you should. I think you'd enjoy his photography. You have a paved road -- woohoo! I did a little happy skip in my head when I read that! Will be fun to see a photo of your installed DW. I like that you both had projects you were excited to be working on.

Doreen said...

We still haven't gotten beyond being VERY thrilled with our paved road (5 miles of it done 30+ years ago!!!!!). We always had black cars and motorcycles, even with the gravel, and that was a chore!! The springtime clay mud road (especially on the 2 mile stretch of "switchback", which takes you up 500 ft.) was treacherous at times.
Amazing Cardinal piecing!
I cannot imagine a dishwasher in our RV but it sure would have been nice to have!

kc said...

Sooooo, in the course of packing and purging, not necessarily in that order, I donated or recycled an entire shelf of books and magazines. Today, I am fully packed, with the coach listing to one side (the side in which all our food and my sewing machine reside, btw, I have nothing else to do (hahaha!) so I sit down to read and catch up with 3 Cats Ranch doings. You're such an enabler!!! Usually, I can resist technique books, thinking You Tube will know, And share the knowledge I seek, but that one looked pretty insightful, so I bit! Thankfully, I have the new address stored right night to my credit card, so the book should arrive the day after we do!! I can't wait. Hubster, on the other hand, probably won't be thrilled. Oh well, I'll tell him it was either the book or a dishwasher! Speaking of which,,, color me green with envy!! That's a beaut!! As is the cardinal. I can't wait to see how you quilt him, he is stunning!

And yea for paved roads! The excitement will linger for years, I'm sure!!

Brown Family said...

It will be nice to have a dishwasher in the RV. I picked out a new one for the house last night! I do understand about the paved road. We had to travel on a dirt road to get to the farm. We were very excited when they paved it.