6/18/18

Threadbare

We had a warm and productive Father's Day yesterday. Erik and Mae came up for a breakfast of Eggs Benedict. I made the Hollandaise, and Mae poached the eggs. Erik helped serve it up when it was time. I got a bee in my bonnet to use some vintage cut glass juice glasses I inherited from my grandmother. When we visited them, I'd always drink my milk from these glasses. They're about 6 ounce size, and they fit my child's hands perfectly. When my mother inherited them, she knew I was fond of them and gave me the whole set. It was fun to get them out and use them for our orange juice.


Matthew's Unpresidented Brass Band was marching in a parade in downtown Portland, and so we missed him. (My kids have very busy lives.) He called later in the day to tell us about the parade and to wish Mike a Happy Father's Day.

After breakfast, I got to work making the Lavender Blossom Jelly. You might recall that I was a little worried about the color this would turn out to be. The lavender blossom infusion faded to a kind of drab brownish-purple, and I worried this would be some ugly jelly.


When I added in the remaining ingredients, cooked it, and then ladled it into jars, it turned a pretty rosy pink again, and the jelly turned out very pretty. My yield was 4 half-pints, plus a bonus half-filled jar.


It has an interesting flavor with the slightest hint of bitterness, but in a good way. The fragrance of the lavender comes through, and it tastes good to me. I'll definitely do this again.

Here's the recipe I'm using. It's the same one I used for the Chive Blossom Jelly. My next try will be with mint leaves, and I'm going to pair it with apple juice to see what I get.

Herb Jelly

Adapted from learn2grow.com
Yield: 4 half-pint jars

2 cups fresh herb leaves or herb flowers (see note)
2 cups clear water, clear juice, or wine
1/4 cup lemon juice or white vinegar
1-2 drops of food coloring -- optional
4 cups sugar or honey
pinch salt
3 ounces liquid fruit pectin

Wash the herbs or flowers and chop coarsely, if necessary, and put in a medium saucepan. Add water (or clear juice or wine) and bring to a consistent boil for 10 seconds. Remove from heat, cover and let stand until completely cooled. Strain 1 1/2 cups of liquid through a coffee filter or layered cheesecloth, pressing the flavor from the leaves with a wooden spoon or vegetable masher.

Pour the liquid (now an "herbal infusion") into a large pot or Dutch oven and stir in the vinegar (or lemon juice), salt and sugar. Heat the mixture to a hard boil ()a boil that can't be stirred down), then add the liquid pectin and continue to boil for exactly 1 minute.

Remove from heat, then skim off any foam and discard it.

Pour the hot jelly immediately into clean half-pint jelly jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Wipe the rims of the jars and seal with the two-piece canning lids. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes (add 5 minutes or processing time for each 1,000 feet of elevation).

Suggestions for changing up the recipe:

Add 2 tablespoons cloves to a sweet basil infusion.
Use red grape juice in lemon balm jelly
Use white grape juice in lemon thyme jelly
Try lemonade in lemon verbena jelly
Use grapefruit juice in marjoram jelly.
Use apple juice in mint jelly
Use water or dry white wine in parsley jelly
Incorporate some balsamic vinegar into rosemary jelly.
Cider or apple juice is great in sage jelly.
Try cranberry juice in savory jelly.
Water or apple juice is good in scented geranium jelly.
White wine or water with vinegar is great in tarragon jelly.
Add purple grape juice in thyme jelly.
For a tangy twist, use cherry juice with 1/4 cup cinnamon or tangerine juice and 1/4 cup crushed cloves to any herb jelly.

NOTES: The following herbs or their flowers can be used in this recipe: scented basils, beebalm, chamomile, chive blossom, fennel, garlic, ginger, lavender, lemon thyme, lemon verbena, marjoram, mint, parsley, rosemary, rose petals (white heel removed), savory, scented geranium, sweet woodruff, tarragon, or thyme.

White or balsamic vinegar can be substituted for all or part of the lemon juice for a tangy, sweet flavor that is complimentary to meat and cheese dishes.

* * * * * 

With that finished, I was ready to get back to work on Todd. When I left him on Saturday, he looked like this:


It was time to give him some ears. First, the right ear...


Then, the left...


Well, hello there, Todd!

After that I finished up the right side of his neck and gave him a body. For this, I decided to add one large piece of fabric,


and then add color over the top. I spent most of the afternoon making all those intricate cuts, but by day's end, he was finished.


Here's the original image I was working from for comparison:


From there, I peeled him up off the pressing sheet. For that, I use tweezers to tweeze up a little corner, and then slide them farther under the piece, spatula style. Then, I hold them up to the light to find any little gaps in the design. There were a few above the eyes. It's easy to just put a scrap of fabric behind, and then fuse it to the back.


After I had all the little holes patched, I gave him a background...this green seemed like a good choice.


Then I went pawing through my scraps to find a piece for his border. I liked this one as a border, binding, and back, but I thought it needed something to separate Todd from the border.


This rich brown stop border should do the trick.


Today I'll sew on the borders, and then back it with batting. Then, I'll be using monofilament thread to stitch down all the little pieces, and then I'll used some colored threads to bring out the details. I like to do all of that stitching through the batting, but before adding the quilt back. I'll do a little bit of quilting when all the thread work is done, but the thread work really serves the function of holding the batting in place. There's still a lot more to do on this, but I should have it finished for June's OMG without any trouble.

This morning when I got up, I spied this rufous hummingbird sitting on the tomato cage where the half eaten cherry tomato resides.


He was shy, and so I had to stand way back and take this picture through the window. You don't suppose he's the culprit who ate the cherry tomato, do you?

15 comments:

Barbara said...

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

Denise :) said...

Wow, the progress you made on Todd is amazing!! I really, really love this. It's inspiring me to pull out a fave pic of my first cat, Batman, and try my hand at it. It's really a lovely piece of art, Barbara. Your jelly looks yummy! I may give your recipe a try with a rosemary/mint combo, or maybe something with basil? Thanks for sharing the particulars! :)

Debbie said...

Todd is quite a handsome fellow! Love how the green background makes his eyes pop. Perfect selection on the border inset too. And the offset border looks wonderful.
Your lavender jelly looks beautiful.....what do you serve it with?

gpc said...

I love the idea of herb jellies. This time I've finally saved the recipe, although I doubt I'll actually find the time to make the jelly before my chive blossoms are gone. The pawtrait of Todd is more amazing every day and, as others have said, it is going so quickly -- from the perspective of those of us who are not doing it. I wonder, do you keep track of your hours? If you paid yourself minimum wage, far less than one would expect for a custom work of art, how much would it cost to complete one? I expect it would be a sobering amount and the reason that most of us have to settle for digital photos instead, lol.

crazy quilter said...

Todd turned out so beautiful! He will be very proud! I can't believe such a cute little bird would eat that tomato, or even take a bite of it. My bet is on that pesky squirrel , they are such little monsters! I have way too many for my liking and they taunt my sweet woofie Lola.. She will catch one someday, I just know it..keep on sewing !

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Awesome work on Todd! The stop and border fabrics will really set him in the dapper fellow that he is. Your jelly looks so good - I'll buy local (let them do the work and I will enjoy).

piecefulwendy said...

That jelly turned out so pretty. I hope you thoroughly enjoy eating every bite! I just realized I have one of those pressing sheets; just have never known how to use it. The pawtrait is coming out so well! Have you ever done a white cat with a teensy bit of gray on his head (my Max looked like that)?

Judy J said...

Todd is turning out beautiful! Thanks for sharing your process, it's inspirational.

Brown Family said...

That is a pretty humming bird. Todd is looking good!

kc said...

Wow, Todd is definitely coming to life! I can only imagine what your quilting will bring out - Dr Frankenstein, anyone? I do like your choice of borders, and totally agree that the little brown stop border was necessary. Todd's mom will be thrilled, I'm sure. Question for you - are you going to add yellow to his eyes? Why, or why not? I'm just curious, not that it matters one way or the other...he truly looks fine & lifelike as he is.

The jelly is beautiful, and reading those alternative flavor combos got me to salivating. I used to judge at the neighboring county fairs (because you can't judge your own products in your own county fair) and I must say, they are definitely blue ribbon examples. Just stunning. I loved making pear jelly - always tasted like sunshine to me.

I'd say Rufus is your culprit - our chickens used to peck the underside of ripe tomatoes all the time and suck the seeds right out, leaving only a perfect & perfectly ripe-looking shell. so, when you walked the rows, and you'd see (from above) this beauty of a 'mater, you'd go to pluck it off the vine and it would just collapse under your very gentle squeeze of pressure....you'd know they'd had a good meal. Of course, they were also good for pest control. I'd carry a hen up and down the rows of asparagus, pulling June bugs off the ferny foliage and hand-feeding them to the hen I was holding. The others would follow along behind me, just in case the chosen one dropped a bug. Ah, I miss my girls.

Dots said...

Just stunning work on Todd! This is such a fabulous creative process. Many steps to the finish line on this project, but rave results. Just beautiful work on this. You are super talented in the sewing of quilts, and in the kitchen. A great combo!

QuiltGranma said...

I remember when Mother would make jam, and skim off the foam... that was my favorite part! I'd spread it on my toast from the wide cut glass dish she had used to put the foam into.

Love the Tod pawtrait! And that CUTE hummingbird!

Kate said...

The jelly does look really pretty. It's always fun to hear about your kitchen experiments. Todd's picture is coming together beautifully. It's always amazing to see the image emerge as you add each layer of fabric and then the stitching.

quiltzyx said...

Your vintage juice glasses are gorgeous! I love glass.

The jelly is beautiful. What will you use it with/on? Do you spread it on toast or ??

Love seeing Todd come together, bit by bit. Thanks for sharing the process.

Michele said...

The pawtrait is coming along nicely. You've truly become an expert at them.