6/17/18

Hot Toddy

Yesterday was the day to start on Todd's pawtrait. He's a handsome fellow, no? The lady cats probably swoon for him.


By the way, did you know a lady cat is known as a "Queen"? It only makes sense.

So these are done kind of paint-by-numbers style. The posterized version of the image is used to trace "islands" of color. The word "island" is used because the pieces need to be done so that they can be drawn in a complete "circle," although these pieces are anything but circular. I just can't think of a better way to describe it. They must begin and end at the same spot. Does that make sense?

So here's Todd and his islands of color.


Taking it off the photo, it looks like this. The dark space in the middle of the image is the reflection of my camera. There just isn't any way to keep reflections off the reflective surface of the transparency.


And these are applique, so they have to be reversed. Just to keep things straight, it helps to write a note to myself so I'm not second-guessing which side to trace onto the fusible web.


The easiest place to start is the eyes. You want to cut holes for the pupils, rather than appliqueing them over the top of the iris. It avoids having them look like bug-eyes. So I cut the iris out, cut a hole for the pupil, and then just cut a little piece of black fabric and fuse right over the top of it. Batiks are a good choice for the iris. They have a nice variability that mimics the variability of color in an actual iris.


A pressing sheet is essential for this process. You're fusing pieces to the pressing sheet and then moving them around as you go. I like to put the eyes in the right spot, fuse them to the pressing sheet and then work outward from there.


The eyes have it.


Speaking of eyes...someone else had eyes on the goings on here. He was rather offended at pictures of another cat in his sewing room. He let Todd know just what he thought of these shenanigans.

Yeah, Todd...Take a look at that. How's that fur a view?


Eventually, he settled in on my sewing chair. Fortunately for him, this was a no-sewing day. Everything was done at the ironing board, the light box, and the work table.


With so many pieces and so many colors, it was hard to tell where one piece started and another began. I figured out that I can turn the picture upside down on the light box and then lay the pattern over the top to get a better idea of the colors. Then I can trace onto the fusible right there. It was a lot easier than trying to trace from the transparency alone.


So on I went...adding pieces. When I got this far, I took a picture.


Todd wasn't popping out at me yet, and I decided I really needed to figure out the nose next. It was easier if I used the non-posterized image to draw out the shape of the nose. Todd's nose has lots of different colors, and I needed the basic shape as a guide. From there I could add colors as it made sense.


Then I added some of the orange and white to the sides of his nose, and he started looking more like Todd.


This scrap of fabric has been invaluable for the pawtraits. It once was a quilt back, and I can't even remember the quilt now. It might have been given away. In any case, it's been the best piece of fabric for pawtraits. The pinky peachy colors are perfect for cat noses and ears. It's been used in every kitty pawtrait I've done. I don't know what I'll do when it's all gone.


From there, I took it a little farther. When I got to this point, it seemed like a good place to stop. So I took a picture, turned off the iron and the lights, and headed up stairs. I even posted this image to Facebook.


Then I filled the bird feeders, watered the pots, checked in to see how Mike was coming with the iris. (He was busy digging them out, as we have been threatening for years.) I drank some water, sat around a little bit, and then I looked again at the picture on Facebook. Wait just a minute...something was wrong.

Downstairs again, I laid the transparency over the top and realized I'd put a piece over the top of another when it was supposed to go under. Oy.


You can see it where that pink line is in the image below.


Okay, so I carefully peeled up that side of the applique and tucked it under the piece below without harming either piece. Phew! Now it looks right.


So that's where I'll pick it up today. I'm hoping to finish the ears and the rest of the neck. If there's time left, I'll get going on the body.

And Happy Father's Day out there, if you happen to be one of those people. Here's my favorite dad image of all time.


This morning the kids are coming over to help me make Father's Day Eggs Benedict. We did it at their house last year, so this might be a new tradition. It should be fun. However you're planning to spend your day, I hope it's a good one.

15 comments:

Barbara said...

It doesn't matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was. ~ Anne Sexton

Sher S. said...

Happy Father's Day to Mike. Todd is definitely coming along. Todd had long hair, very soft to the touch. He loved to curl up on my daughter's chest and suck on his arm while purring up a storm. He was very laid back, easy going and lovable. He loved to lay in the sun, or in winter he'd curl up next to the heater. Love looking out the sliding glass door, watching birds and squirrels from his cat tree. He is sorely missed.

Judy H said...

Thanks for the details on creating your cat. I just might get the nerve to try my hand at it.

Denise :) said...

Something about Todds ... they're all good looking!! Hahaha! It's fascinating watching the process of you "painting" him. Have a great day! :)

gpc said...

Such a lot of work, so much time tweaking and perfecting -- you are certainly the best friend ever, making such a gorgeous custom pawtrait for your friend. Not many of us would spend those countless hours on something to be sent away. And, as always, it is turning out beautifully. You are definitely an artist.

Cathy said...

A,MAZ,ING. I watch your process every time you do a pawtrait, and it never ceases to flabbergast me. You are truly an artist. I never seem to get past the posterizing of a potential picture. Tracing the image, yeah, I could do that. “Seeing” the islands? Doubtful. Cutting small pieces and layering colors? Fahgetaboutit. I bow to your talent!! And Happy Fathers Day to Mike, too.

Sally Trude said...

Dearest Smitty,

Good job! What self-respecting cat has to wear a tag with his name on it? My tag would say "No, you come when I call you!" Buddy's tag would say "Treat," but dogs are like that.

Not so respectfully,

Molly

quiltzyx said...

Too funny, Smitty sitting on Todd's head! LOL

The pawtrait is coming along beautifully. You do great work Barbara!

Happy Dad's Day to Mike~!

crazy quilter said...

Great Father's Day picture! Todd is coming along quite well, you have become a master at these! Happy Father's Day! Enjoy

Kate said...

The pawtrait is coming along beautifully. So many little pieces, it's no wonder you get the order mixed up occasionally. Hope Mike had a wonderful Father's Day.

Sandra W said...

Todd is coming along nicely. It's great seeing the process you used. I didn't quite understand the upside down bit but I'll read it over again.
I don't have any photo software and will have to see if I can find someone who can do this step for me at some point.
Great photo of "the boys" on Father's Day.

piecefulwendy said...

Fascinating process. What type of pressing sheet do you use (I've never used one). Love the pic of Mike and the boys. Hope you had a lovely day together!

Susan said...

I always enjoy watching these pawtraits coming together. Will your refresh my memory as to what your original source for learning to do these was and what photo software you use for these?

Thanks. Also like the picture of Mike and the boys.

Dots said...

This pawtrait of Todd is just beautiful! I have not seen this kind of work done before. You make it look easy. I think it could be fun to try it. Your instructions are clear and very good. I loved seeing it step by step. I can't wait to see the finished pawtrait of Todd. You are an artist! Thanks for all you do!

QuiltGranma said...

on Todd's nose, is the orange supposed to be on top or under it? or am I seeing it wrong? Oh, and, WOW, BEAUTIFUL!