6/19/18

Bordering on a Finish

My morning got off to a slow start yesterday, and there was a lot to do before I made my way into the sewing room. Todd has his borders now. I toyed with the idea of doing the border on just two sides, but then opted to make the quilt a little larger by bordering all four sides. Here's how he looks.


From there, I added batting to the back, and then top-stitched down all the little pieces, using some monofilament thread.


It's easier to see what I've done from the back; and yes, I did piece together some scraps of batting for this.


My friend Susan asked what kind of photo editing software I'm using to make the posterized version of the image.


Susan, you are no reply, and so I'm hoping you'll see my answer here. I'm using Photoshop Elements Editor. Across the top of the screen, click "Filter," then choose "Artistic," then choose "Poster Edges." There are some other adjustments that can be made after that, and I won't go into all the details. This will get you started.


If you're using another photo editor, your software probably has something similar, but Photoshop Elements is the only one I use, and so it's the only one I know.

All the top-stitching is done now, and so my next step will be to add some details in the eyes and ears, and give him some whiskers. When I left it yesterday, I was auditioning threads to use for shading. Cats are fuzzy, and so I'll make him fuzzy around the edges. I'll also add some shine to the eye with embroidery floss and a French knot.


It was late in the day by that time, and so I stopped there. Smitty had to cover his eyes seeing this intruder in his sewing room.

Is he gone yet?


The only other "sewing" did yesterday was to pretty much fill the hoop on the Heart & Home piece. This morning, I'll stitch the door on the right, and then move my hoop.


We're getting ready to take off on a trip to the beach tomorrow, and so I'll be busy doing some packing today. It's also a CSA pick-up day, and so there's plenty to do. I'm hoping I'll have some time for sewing later on this afternoon. If not, Todd will have to wait for the weekend to get his fuzz and his whiskers.

12 comments:

Barbara said...

The happiest of all lives is a busy solitude. - Voltaire

Brown Family said...

I hope you had a good camp out! Todd is almost there, just a lot of thread detail to go!

Debbie said...

He looks great!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Oh my--he came out really handsome and really looks like himself--great job on piecing him together and I do like the border all the way around him--he looks framed now!!!
enjoy, di

Quilting Babcia said...

Todd is just too stinkin' cute!!! You are really in your element creating these Pawtraits! Dennis can't get over how wonderfully realistic they are!
Can't wait to see this finish.

crazy quilter said...

What? Hiding his eyes? I think Smitty and Todd would have a great time searching for critters . Have a great time at the beach, oh to be retired! One day I will be just not yet.

Tilly said...

You did a fine job, looks very realistic. Have fun on the beach.

Kate said...

Todd's looking good. The dark strip was a great idea. Your fabric frame really adds a gallery look to the project. Hope you get in a bit of stitching before you start out for your beach adventure.

piecefulwendy said...

I know Smitty is covering his eyes, but there's no way to hide that cute little pink nose! Todd is coming along really well. Hope you enjoy your time at the beach. It sounds lovely. We have had a very wet week going here, and when it's not raining it is muggy and hot. Good weather for staying in and stitching, but today I have errands to run.

Denise :) said...

This has been such a fantastic project; I've really enjoyed walking through the process with you. And wow, it went a LOT faster than I expected it to be! Nicely done! :)

QuiltGranma said...

Tod is BEAUTIFUL! Yo are doing a wonderful job. You need time to enjoy that beach!

quiltzyx said...

Nice framing job on Todd - that rich brown is so nice as a stop border.

Hope your trip to the beach is a blast!