6/20/18

Quilting and Binding

All that's left is quilting and binding. With that done, Sir Todd's Pawtrait will be finished. Yesterday, I added details to the eyes,


fuzz to the ears,


eyebrows and fuzz all around,


and, of course, whiskers. You can't have a cat without whiskers.


Also, I stitched in some details to the nose and mouth, and then Sir Todd was ready for quilting.


I'll keep that pretty simple. The stitching already applied to the cat goes through the batting, and so any quilting I add now will be for decoration, not function. I'm still settling on what to do for a binding. This quilt has been made from scraps in my stash. I'd like to use a dark brown, I think, but I'm hard pressed to find a piece large enough. I'll look more seriously this morning. If memory serves, this piece ends up at 17 x 16 inches.

There's still a little bit of packing left to do before we take off for the beach today, but I think I'll have plenty of time for finishing off the machine stitching on Todd. I'd like to take him with us and finish hand-sewing his binding on the way.

Yesterday's slow stitching filled the hoop on the Heart & Home block.


Now I've moved my hoop to the right, and I'll pick it up there next time around.


I'll be taking a day or two off from blogging. We're taking our truck camper to the beach, and space is very limited. Even the kitties aren't going with us this time since it's a quick trip. Our neighbor will be looking in on them and giving them their kitty treats. Expect to see me right back here by Saturday.

19 comments:

Barbara said...

I take care of my flowers and my cats. And enjoy food. And that's living. ~ Ursula Andress

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

What do you mean--you aren't taking us with you!!!
We are not sure we like the idea of being home alone??
enjoy, di

Cathy Smith said...

Amazing what a difference the top stitching made with Todd. It really brought him to life!

Have fun at the beach!

Debbie said...

That is a perfect stitch to provide the fuzz and fur. If no dark brown, how about a deep gold to orange tone for the binding to match it in the border?

Shirley said...

Sir Todd's Pawtrait is just awesome. You really have a talent for making these realistic. Love the stitches you used for details. It is truly amazing to see this progress from beginning to end. At one stage, it looks like a total fail and then it just comes to life. Love seeing all the projects you share with your readers.

Quilting Babcia said...

Todd is really coming to life! Enjoy your camping trip! I've posted a possible solution to the commenting issue that I received from another blogger, it worked for my test post, now hoping it will for others' comments too.

crazy quilter said...

Todd is perfect! Have fun at the beach

Kate said...

A very fine kitty pawtrait! Enjoy your time at the beach.

piecefulwendy said...

And just like that, the pawtrait is done! Amazing! Enjoy your time at the beach, the hike and the joy of family. Will be fun to hear about it once you are back home.

QuiltGranma said...

THE ONLY THING MISSING FROM THE PAWTRAIT IS THE PURRRRRRRRRR

Shari said...

You did an amazing job on Todd. Hope you have a great weekend!

quiltzyx said...

Hope you found enough of a color you like for the binding of Todd's pawtrait. He's come along magically!

Happy Trails to the beach!

Claire said...

I'd look for a medium warm brown for the binding. As usual I'm behind in reading; you probably have it finished.

SandraC said...

This would be a Purr-fect quilt to try facing instead of binding. Have you tried it before? Here is a link to a blog that I follow when doing a facing...it's very easy and looks great.....https://thesillyboodilly.blogspot.com/2012/09/tutorial-super-duper-easy-way-to-face.html

Brown Family said...

Even with all that white on Todd, you brought out his personality with thread!

Bits of Stitching! said...

Todd's Pawtrait is work of art, and your blackwork stitchery is looking great! Enjoy your trip!

Sarah said...

Love kitties pawtrait! Enjoy your trip.

Faye said...

The cat pawtrait is SO CUTE!

your stitching is lovely too

Michele said...

Sir Todd is absolutely purrfect!