12/3/17

An Unplanned Day of Sloth

We were all set to go hiking around the lake here at Cliffs of the Neuce State Park yesterday. The plan was to do our grocery shopping after the hike. When we left the kitties, they were snoozed out in their usual morning positions. Smitty likes to sleep in a pile...all legs and tail.


Sadie is more of a nester.


Sadly, when we stepped outside, it started raining. We hadn't really expected rain until afternoon, and so that was a bit of a disappointment. We didn't really want to do our grocery shopping in wet clothes, and so we were easily persuaded to bag the hike and do our grocery shopping first. We're weenies like that. And when we got back to the trailer, the kitties were still in their same positions.

Even after the groceries were put away, the rain didn't abate, and it rained pretty much all day. We decided a day of sloth was in order. Who's with us on that?

So that left more time for blog reading and I discovered this challenge:


And, hey...I blog nearly every day anyway, so what the heck? So I fired off an email to join in the fun. You can see all the bloggers participating right here. There's no penalty if you miss a day, and I'll keep up my daily posts as long as I have an internet connection.

Also, I spent some time stitching on Earlene. She's coming along. Her hair is finished, and that's always the most tedious part on the bag ladies...oh yes, and the polka dots. More polka dots on Earlene, but not as many as some of the other ladies. I'll leave her buttons unstitched this time. I have some little mini buttons at home to sew on her coat.


If you're stitching along with us, know that the November linky party is live now, and you have a day or two more to link up.


Cat Patches

The party's in full swing right here.

As for the rest of the day, I didn't even have to cook. We had two more of our lobster mac and cheese ramekins to eat for dinner. With no other cooking required, it seemed like a good day to make this dessert I've been eyeing: Fudge Brownie Pots for Two. I've linked to the recipe there...these were so good. A few days ago I was getting a yen to bake something, and so I was on the hunt for a recipe that only used ingredients I already had on hand. I forget why I didn't try it that very day, but something got in the way. It's been on my mind ever since, and so yesterday seemed like a good time to give it a try.


It smelled so good as I was mixing it up...definitely like brownies...and what could be better than that? It's a good RV recipe because it can be mixed without dragging out a lot of equipment or bowls and it baked in the dish we ate it from, so it didn't dirty a lot of dishes either. We ate it hot from the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The ice cream melted into the chocolate and set the world to right.


Here is my one word for this dessert: Yum.

Okay, so we're on the move again today. We'll be leaving North Carolina for the last time today, heading to the South Carolina coast. We have reservations in two different South Carolina state parks for the next 7 nights, and I'll tell you more as we go.

On our agenda is a stop off at the Camping World in Myrtle Beach to pick up some supplies, and that just happens to be on the way to our final destination of Huntington Beach State Park. From there, we'll head to another state park close to Charleston. We're told Charleston is worth a look, and there are also several lighthouses close by. After that, we'll be heading for Atlanta, Georgia. Atlanta boasts the largest aquarium in the world, and we love a good aquarium. That's definitely on the list. Also, we need a place to receive some mail, and so we'll stay somewhere near Atlanta for several days next week and figure out what else to do from there.

As always, internet access is up in the air when we stay in a state park. If you don't hear from me for a few days, it'll be because I don't have wi-fi or cell signal. Fingers crossed for one or the other.

14 comments:

Doreen said...

Your "on the move" posts are always a delight. I'm with ya on the 'wimping out' when it comes to hiking in the rain.....followed by (grocery) shopping! With Christmas very much on the horizon, I have way too many secret projects and the holiday events have even doubled up on some days....all resulting in no time to post anything. Happy travels, dear bloggy friend! (P.S. Our Amtrak vacation to Seattle, at the beginning of October, was awesome......luv trains!!! (the food was crazy good!)

Sarah said...

I’m with you on not hiking in the rain. I’ll hike in a full blown blizzard any day but never in the rain. Glad you enjoyed another sloth day - the dessert looks like it was delish!!

QuiltShopGal said...

I love Sloth Days. When it is raining it makes for a perfect day to stay inside to quilt, sew, read, cook.......relax and enjoy the sound of the wind. I'm looking forward to hearing about your next leg of your trip. I've been to Atlanta several times, but can't think of any "don't miss" recommendations. Still, there are loads of southern history sites in Atlanta to see.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

Cathy Smith said...

I had a day in Charleston several years ago. The tourist board puts out a walking map. If I remember correctly, there were colored lines painted on the streets that matched routes on the map. Very handy! Also, there is a nice aquarium close to the tourist areas. You can either walk or take a pedi cab.

Shari said...

The Georgia Aquarium is very nice. In that same area, there's also the World of Coke and the College Football Hall of Fame. If you get north of Atlanta, Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park has a nice hiking trail, even further north of Atlanta is Amicalola Falls State Park which has some nice hiking and the App Trail starts at Springer Mountain. There are a lot of quilt shops in the area, too. Any of the ones on the Greater Atlanta Shop Hop would be worth a stop. Traffic is horrible here, but I hope you enjoy your stay!

Lynette said...

Tiny buttons will be so adorable on Earline's coat. And that is a recipe I really have to try. . . especially after a Wind in the Whiskers day. . . :D

liniecat said...

Sloth has its place in our lives for sure now and then - especially when rain stops play : )

WoolenSails said...

Nice to have a day to relax, you have been going to so many places that it is nice to have a day to stitch and reflect on all the wonderful places you have visited.

Debbie

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I'm taking a graduate course in Sloth.

Brown Family said...

I am sorry you did not get to hike the State Park as much as you wanted to . I am sure you would have found many interesting things to share. Safe Travels!

piecefulwendy said...

Yum is right, that little dessert looks delicious! I make a brownie in a mug every now and then, which I like because I don't want a whole pan of brownies tempting me. (There are quite a few recipes "in a mug" on the internet if you're interested.) The kitties look like they are handling the stress of the trip well :-) Looking forward to your next posts!

Kate said...

Sorry your hike got rained out. But it sounds like you and Mike made the best of it. Those ramekin brownies with ice cream do look yummy! At least you were able to get the baking wiggles out of your system.

quiltzyx said...

I guess Mother Nature thought you could do with a sloth day and brought the rain on early. We'll just have to miss out on the lovely photos this time.
Mmmmmac & cheese & brownies with ice cream! Yum!

SJSM said...

I went down a rabbit hole looking at the other recipes for dessert on the website you linked. Here I am 20 minutes later with 6 new recipes saved in Paprika app. I don’t know whether to thank you or ask for my time back. She has quite a few one or two serving desserts including carrot cake!

Yes I am committed to eating less dessert and more fruits and veggies. Losing weight every month including the holidays is the goal being met. But ya have to have a dessert once in a while. As our instructor said, "what is a treat? How often do you think a treat should be eaten?" Answer, if you eat it every day it is no longer a treat. Once a week, small portion is the most often you should treat yourself with food. :(. Better to save for a special occasion. The 2 person recipes will answer the small portion with no leftovers in the house.