8/26/17

Newsy

There was no time for sewing yesterday, but that doesn't mean I don't have plenty to tell you. Did you forget? "Verbosity" is my middle name!

So first, Sue and I got together for our farewell/birthday breakfast. Sue's birthday is about ten days away. I gave her some jams, but she gave me a gift from her recent trip to upstate New York. This cat cookie cutter.


My friend knows me so well. Even better, it has a recipe for cat cookies!


With frosting!


Just now, I checked the website listed on that tag. Oh my gosh...cookie cutters for every occasion! And since I sometimes use cookie cutters for quilting templates, it's a good resource. Check it out right here.

Also, this card.


As I've mentioned before, Sue and I share a perpetual trophy we refer to affectionately as "The Weenie Award." One earns the weenie award by weenie-ing out on one of our walks because of rain or time constraints. It's in Sue's possession right now, but I earned it back about a month ago when I weenied out because of being too busy. She didn't even have a chance to give it back to me when she earned it back again last week by scheduling her vacation on a previously scheduled walk day. Ha! Anyway...we both got a good laugh at the weenie card. What are friends for if you can insult and humiliate them, right? I learned this lesson over the years from our many cats.

So I missed my stitching in the morning and got to work on it when I got home. That quilt block isn't gonna stitch itself, and I'm determined to get it finished before month's end.


I'm guesstimating I can have it finished in two or three more sittings.

So then, I had some time to sew, but instead, I got on the AAA website and started mapping out the beginnings of our trip. Let me tell you, friends, mapping out a trip gets me so stoked for traveling! I'm hoping you can see this image below that shows our first few "Can't Miss It" stops.


Okay, so even on my screen the picture is blurry. It starts there on the left in our little town of Newberg, Oregon. Our first stop is the Ringing Rocks in Montana (C), which takes us through Spokane (B). Originally, we thought we'd go through LaGrande, but the mapping software had other ideas. The roads through Idaho are better if we go north instead of east.

So anyway, after the Ringing Rocks, we planned to head across the border into Canada to see some of their national parks (free this year because of their sesquicentennial...and thanks, Canada!). So we're going to see Grasslands National Park (D), and then drive another hundred miles or so northward to see Riding Mountain National Park (E). And then, I was kind of stumped for our next place, and so I typed in Niagara Falls just to see our options. Well, if we go south, we go through Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan, but if we stay north in Canada, we can get there by seeing Pukaskwa National Park (F), which will lead us to the Canada side of Niagara Falls (G, which is hiding behind H) and back into the USA when we go to the USA side of Niagara Falls (H). The distance and time traveled is exactly the same, right down to the minute whether we stay north or go south. Well. This just turned my crank, and I started getting so excited to get under way. And, sorry, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan friends. I'm afraid Canada is calling with her free national parks this year. We'll meet another time on another trip.

Okay, well, if that wasn't enough excitement for one day, I received an email from the Oregon State Fair with the results of the quilting competition, and get this. My quilt, Snips and Snails:


Here's the read-out...that "1" on the right indicates first place. Yahoo!


And Gingerbread Square?


Check this out:


First place, and "Best of Division" in the Any Size Quilts division. (To enter it in a hand-embroidery class, I needed to be in the "Any Size" division.) So...now I'm super stoked.

But today...


40 lbs. of tomatoes are going to keep my feet on the ground. There's going to be plenty to keep me busy today. It feels as if I'm gearing up to run a marathon...not that I have any idea how it feels to run a marathon. I crossed that one off my bucket list back when I was a babe in arms.

35 comments:

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Congratulations! The quilts are wonderful and deserving of the wins! The trip looks like lots of fun and the tomatoes look exhausting! I have canned 20 pints of tomatoes over the past couple of weeks. Have fun!

Quilting Babcia said...

Congrats again!! Kitty cookie cutters from upstate NY, now my curiousity is up! You do know when you hit Niagara Falls NY you're only 2 hours from our little home in the boonies! Just a hop, skip and a jump away ...

Maria said...

congratulations!!!!!

Kate said...

Congratulations on the State Fair entries! Looks like a fun trip in the works. How long are you planning on being on the road?

gpc said...

So exciting about the quilts! And my mouth is watering at the sight of those tomatoes, although my feet are aching at the thought of processing them all. Too bad for the Michigan folk (sniff) but the Canadian parks sound like a fantastic opportunity, no one in Saginaw can compete with that. :)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Congratulations!! Well deserved girl. I have bought some of her cutters - for my daughter. I see she has a moose now - must get that one.

Debbie said...

Congrats....I KNEW IT!!!!!! So super excited about the Snips and Tails winning:) Well deserved and so glad for you on both counts! Strut around for a while and enjoy the glow. Yum, tomatoes look good:)

Sharon said...

Congratulations on the "first place" wins on your quilts. You do absolutely beautiful work and your wins are well deserved. Sounds like you're planning a wonderful trip!

Janet S said...

Congratulations on your wins at the fair! You are very deserving. The trip north to Canada is awesome. We enjoyed our trip to Jasper several years back. Don't forget to get your pass to the US parks before the price goes up for seniors!

Janet said...

Congratulations on your wins! Very exciting. The tomatoes look gorgeous. Will they be sauce or paste or soup?

Ray and Jeanne said...

Congrats on your State Fair wins!!! I finished another 20 pounds of tomatoes last night and 90 ears of sweet corn this morning --- 'tis the season. ~Jeanne

Shari said...

Congratulations on the wins! They are such great quilts, you deserve them! Looking forward to following you on your trip.

Janarama said...

WOO HOO!!! Congratulations on not one but TWO 1st place winners. Yippee-o-ki-yay!!!

claudia said...

YAY! For your quilts and your talents!!! I don't think of us had any doubts whatsoever on how your quilts would place! Way to go!!!
Them maters look delicious. They are making my mouth water.
I can't wait until you get on your trip and you start showing us what you are up to and where you are. That's going to be my traveling for me...my daughter needs to borrow my new-tp-me RV so she has a place to stay while she is finishing up farrier school in Snohomish.

crazy quilter said...

Oh la la Congrats! Both very well deserved! Enjoy your winning! Cool trip ya'll have planned ... I know you will have a great time.

Sally Trude said...

Congratulations to the Oregon State Fair for recognizing true winners. I'm especially happy that Snips and Snails won because it has so many personal touches. And unfortunately, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that your cat cookie recipe has left out the cat.

Beth said...

Oh my gosh! Two first place wins! The blue ribbon for Snips and Snails is especially satisfying, isn't it? What a special quilt that is.
The anticipation of your trip is so much fun! I'm such a homebody these days--it's a good thing you guys are such great travelers, so that I can enjoy myself vicariously while maintaining my near-hermit status.
Our niece arrives on Monday, in advance of a two-year stay in Alaska, so that will force me to venture out. Can't be away from that girl for two long years. Besides, when will I have a better excuse to visit Alaska?
Please give my congratulations to the two quilt testers, whose skills must have contributed to your wins.

piecefulwendy said...

Congratulations on your quilts! Very well-deserved, if you ask me! I'm sad that you're missing Minnesota, but you'll enjoy Canada and Niagara Falls. Have fun with those tomatoes :)

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that the judges recognized your talent and creativity in your quilts. You're a STAR!!! The quilt of your brother has always especially impressed me so much. We will be going to the fair this week and I can hardly wait to see them "in person"!!!

LethargicLass said...

Congrats!! So happy you won, your work is beautiful and Snips and Snails is one of my favourite quilts!

Sue said...

Good on you! Both quilts are beautiful!

Dana Gaffney said...

Congratulations on your wins! Especially for your brother's quilt, that was such a labor of love.

Cathy said...

Those wins are so exciting!! You must be so pleased. Your travel plans look fabulous. I hope you enjoy Canada. If you are looking for a park to stay in on your trip between Puskawa National Park and Niagara Falls, Grundy Lake Provincial Park is beautiful! It’s one of my favourite places on earth. By the looks of your map, you’ll be driving right by it, just south of Sudbury Ontario.

Sandra W said...

Wow--2 big wins! Bravo and well-done.
Niagara Falls is great--the falls--the town is Coney Island-like but you can get into it.

Debbie said...

Congrats on everything! Great friend, great cookie cutter, great accomplishments on the first place wins on your beautiful quilts and great tomatoes too!
Now, I'd like to know how you have the energy to do everything you do. I want some of your 'vitamins'.

Take care and have safe, happy travels.

QuiltE said...

Congratulations on your Three wins! :) Amazing Accomplishments with that Best of Division being the cherry on top.

Great to see you will be making the Canadian trek, part of your tour. Not sure of your dates, but I'm hoping that by the time you arrive, you will be able to see Ontario all decked out in its autumn colours. If you want/need any extra Canadian planning help, particularly here in Ontario, just give me a shout!

Now, back to your tomatoes and the gazillion more things you are trying to get done before you leave on this mega-trip of a lifetime!

Lou said...

WHOOOOOOOOO!!!! Congratulations!!!!

We went to Niagara this year and loved it!!!

Brown Family said...

Cute cookie cutter! What a thoughtful gift and fun card! That is a good start on your trip. Are you going to try for the outer rim of the US?

Congrats on the two wins! Or is it three? I am sure you are on your way to containing all the tomatoes!

Anonymous said...

Cheers on the placement at the Fair! Especially the 'best in division.' And how fun to be able to say 'I knew her when...'

Lynn - JnL4God said...

Congrats Barbara that is awesome! Good Job and so special to get a 1st on the quilt of your brother since it's already special to you!

Ioleen said...

Congratulations on your wins, well deserved. Hope your enjoy our parks and the scenery along the way. I noticed that you will not be coming to Jasper National Park or Banff National Park, maybe another trip.

Auntiepatch said...

WOW! How wonderful! Two first places! Way to go, my friend! We (your followers) are so happy for you!

Dawn said...

Looks like a terrific beginning to your trip. I am curious what you've been required to do for the kittys to be admitted into Canada? Thank you for any help regarding this. I will be following along during your travels.

Susan said...

Congratulations on the your winning quilts. I live in MI, but if I had the option of going through Canada and visiting their National Parks for free, I would make the same decision you have.

Kathy H said...

Congratulations. Your quilts deserved first place! I have enjoyed your progress on the quilts. So excited for you!