We were planning to make a trip out to the wineries yesterday, but I think both of us were too lazy. Mike had some clean-up in the yard to do, and I really wanted to finish quilting the Pumpkin Patch table topper. I was still working on the pieced pumpkins.
When those were finished, I got to work quilting vines onto the quilted pumpkins. This was the scariest part of this quilt's adventure.
I would have liked to get those echoing lines a little smoother, but it's fine. We're not aiming for perfection here at the Three Cats Ranch.
From the back, it looks pretty good.
So, I was quilting along when I noticed a sudden unexpected drag. Oh...who would've guessed?
And as much as I tried to shoo him off the quilt, he was all up in my face.
Oh wait...what's this?
Anyone who has a cat knows how this story ends.
Yep...there it is...on the floor, where it belongs.
You know I'll keep bothering you until you come downstairs and put treats in my bowl.
Okay, and while I was there, I baked another Apple Jalousie. Still using apple pie filling. I'm going to foist a jar off on my friend Sue, and I'll probably be able to foist off another jar on Mae at Thanksgiving.
Before Smitty showed up, I'd been having trouble with my thread breaking again. And here I want to review the comments I made about the Sewer's Aid. Ordinarily, I only use this for metallic threads, and I said that it won't soak into the thread fibers. It's different with cotton thread, and indeed, it will absorb into the fibers.
Think about this, however, because it's a tiny little bit of lubricant. When you unspool the thread and look at it, it's barely visible, and it won't spread out like a petroleum lubricant does. Each time that little bit of lubricant passes through the eye of the needle, it lubricates it so that this relatively linty cotton thread won't snag. It helped significantly with my thread breakage. When it started breaking again, I gave the spool another line of Sewer's Aid. Also, I changed out my needle again. After all, it was sewing through as many as four layers of applique, the quilt top, the batting, and the quilt back. After so much quilting, it was in need of a change.
And those two fixes cured my problem for the remainder of the quilt. When I finished the quilting on Eliza, it looked like this.
After that, I took it downstairs and stitched around the inner green border with one of the fancy stitches available to me on Big Bertha.
This is stitch #124 on my Bernina 750QE
When I made my way all the way around the green border, it was finished. I had in mind to do the outer border as well, but decided that would be gilding the lily. Here's how the quilt looks from the back:
All that was left to do then was to add the binding by machine.
This morning I stitched around three corners before I decided to give my hand a break.
Now I'm more than 50% of the way around, and so I'll head back to finish it up after I post this blog.
And this being Sunday, I'm linking up to: