8/10/12

Door #2

Yesterday, I got started on the second of my doors for the Doors of Ireland quilt.  This is the door I'm trying to duplicate.  This was the first door I photographed on my first day in Ireland.  Days later, I decided to make the quilt.


Here's what I came up with.


Of course, none of the top-stitching is done.  I think it's going to be a bit of a trick to stitch the letters on "Granny's Kitchen," but I'm thinking if I use a small needle and take a short stitch, it should work out okay.  I want to stitch in the window panes on the window and the door, and I'm going to do some lettering on the menu posted to the right of the door.  I want to add lines for perspective on the window boxes and the bench, and also stitch bricks onto the legs of the bench.  My plan is to use some metallic thread to stitch the chain for the hanging pot.  I haven't decided yet what to use as a hanger.  I may just embroider something there by hand.  

The door knob is a hot fix nailhead, not affixed yet, but I wanted you to see it.  When I ordered the nailheads for the last door, I received a package of hundreds of nailheads, all shapes, sizes and colors.  I'm going to use some of those for the flowers stuck to the panes of glass in the window.  So . . . lots of work still to do on this one.  I'm still thinking about how to get it all accomplished.  I note also that there are some Celtic knots at the corners of the sign above the door.  I might use some crystals there instead, just to bling it up a little bit.

And, because I get excited about things like this, I've already chosen my next door.  This is the next one I'm going to do:


I've been printing the pictures out and looking at them for a couple of weeks before lurching forward.  This is all new to me, and so everything I do is strictly an experiment in terror.

Also, I finished the next embroidery block for the Love Me, Love My Cat quilt.  I love these blocks.  They are so much fun to work on.


It's a busy weekend headed my way, and so I doubt I'll get any sewing done.  I'm picking up Matthew in Portland this morning, and then we're taking our boat out on the Willamette River this afternoon.  Tomorrow, we're driving Matthew back to Klamath Falls.  We're going to see the house he moved into for his last year of college, and we're going to hear his band perform.  We'll be back on Sunday.  Gracie and Smitty will be here overnight by themselves. Hopefully, nothing will get broken and no one will get eaten.

What's going on in your life this weekend?

16 comments:

Dirt Road Quilter said...

Your 'experiment in terror' - LOL. I would feel the same way, but this is absolutely going to be a huge success. Your first door was fabulous, so I have no doubt that you will conquer this! Your embroidery is really cute! I loved those books!

Debbie said...

Your door looks great! Love all the details you are trying to fit in. Have you thought about using Prismacolor pencils for shadows? Like under the bench and along the window to create depth. Just a thought.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

So cute! Are you making that up yourself??

WoolenSails said...

Love how your door came out and that cat block is my favorite, so cute.

Debbie

Needled Mom said...

That one is going to be fabulous too!!! The thatched roof door will be amazing.

Lynette said...

Your doors of Ireland project is super neat, Barbara. It was a terrific idea. I love watching it emerge. Your experiment in terror is paying off well! ;D

Anonymous said...

The door block looks great, and the Love Me, Love My Cat embroidery is so cute.

Diane Wild said...

As usual, your door is fab. You could do a pebble stitch with metallic thread for the plant hanger. We have lots of suggestions, don't we?

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Great job! It really looks like your shop. I like the red embroidery too!

Kate said...

Love the new "door" block! It looks fabulous. Your interpretation is great. I'm looking forward to seeing this quilt come together.

Enjoy your weekend. We just got home from vacation. There is laundry and school supply shopping scheduled for my weekend.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love the door blocks - going to be so striking and what a memory quilt they are going to make.

Dana Gaffney said...

Terror seems to be a good incentive for you, the newest door looks wonderful.

greelyrita said...

The trouble you went to replicating the lettering is jaw-dropping.

Looking forward to how you will do the thatching. That might be super!

Ha ha about the cats. I share your fear.

quiltzyx said...

Oh yes! The door quilt is going to be wonderful!!! You're off to a terrific start on Door #2.

Teresa in Music City said...

Catching up on my blogs and just had to ooohhh and aaahhh over yours! I am so impressed with the way you are interpreting your doors for the new quilt. Your plan to look at them for a while to get inspiration before you start must be working, because you are nailing it! (Yes, I've picked up Olympic speak :*) I had some small letters on my Quilts in Progress quilt, and they were not as difficult as I was afraid they would be. Like you say, use a small needle and just do a straight stitch close to the edges. Granny's Kitchen is one of your cutest door photos :*)

Quilter Kathy said...

Love your door quilt idea!
And that stitchery block is adorable!