2/20/11

Lazing along the Path

This is our last day in Balmorhea State Park, Texas.  There's something about being in the desert that causes one to slow waaaaaaaay down.  And Texas seems especially slow.  Maybe it's that slow Texas drawl that makes one feel like the embodiment of molasses.  In any case, we've been sleeping in, and then not even getting dressed until well onto noon.

Tomorrow we'll head on down to Big Bend National Park.  We're nearly out of food.  We had in mind that there was a grocery store in Balmorhea, but there isn't.  The closest one is 36 miles away in Pecos, TX.  There are a couple of convenience stores, but neither really has any food.  Thank goodness one of them has ice cream.  I don't know what we'd do if we ran out of ice cream!!  We are very nearly out of other junk food, however, and so I tried baking some brownies in our little oven yesterday.  There is a very fine line between batter and burned in that oven.  I managed to find the spot just to the "batter" side of the line.  The brownies were practically melted fudge in the middle and nearly burned on the edges.  Still, they sure tasted good with a scoop of strawberry ice cream.  (Maybe I'm onto something here, but I doubt I could replicate it.)

But to get back to our grocery store problem, I believe there is a grocery store on the far side of Ft. Davis in Marathon.  I think we've stopped there before, and so for now, we're making due.  It might be breakfast for dinner tonight though.  I had some soup frozen in the freezer, and it's just as well to get that out of there.  I'm just not sure it will be very good for eating.  I can't remember for sure when I made it, and I can't tell by looking at it what it has in it.  I only know it was made around Christmas time and brought along for this trip in particular (as opposed to some previous trip).  Things have a way of going into the freezer to be found in a different lifetime.

I don't know if we'll have an internet connection in Big Bend, and so if I'm gone for a few days, you'll know why.  I'm putting up a few posts ahead and so Foto Finish will be there even if I'm not.  I'm looking forward to seeing your "Dots" this time around.

1 comment:

LethargicLass said...

I'm just glad you have ice cream :)