1/18/11

Traveling Gourmet--Easy Linguine with White Clam Sauce

This is a recipe that came from the July/August 2006 issue of Health magazine.  Remember that these recipes I'm posting are ones I've collected especially for when we're traveling.  I keep a recipe database on my laptop computer and my recipes have all been categorized.  For a recipe to be designated for camping, it must meet four requirements:

1.  It has to taste good.

2.  It needs to be simple to make, and not dirty too many pots and pans.

3.  It must use only a few ingredients, and

4.  The ingredients must be easy to find even in small grocery stores. 

This recipe is an especially good example of the four requirements.  It only takes 12 minutes to prepare, and the ingredients are things I usually have on hand, with the exception of the canned clams.  Even so, canned chopped clams are easy to find almost anywhere, and they have a long shelf life.  Here's the recipe:

Easy Linguine With White Clam Sauce
Recipe By Kitty Broihier, MS, RD and Kimberly Mayone
Serves 2

4 ounces uncooked linguine
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 small finely chopped onion (about 1/4 cup)
1/2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cans chopped claims (6.5-ounces each) -- drained, reserving 2 tablespoons juice
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan-Romano cheese -- divided
1 scallion -- chopped

Cook the linguine according to the package directions. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the pasta water before draining.
While the pasta cooks, make the clam sauce: In a skillet over medium heat, warm the butter until hot, about 2 minutes. Saute onion and garlic 1 minute. Add salt and pepper; continue to saute another minute, or until onion is soft and garlic is fragrant but not browned. Add the drained chopped claims and reserved 2 tablespoons clam juice; stir gently to combine, and simmer.  Add reserved 2 tablespoons pasta water to the skillet with the sauce. Stir sauce, and continue to simmer 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.

Toss the linguine with olive oil and divide between two bowls. Top each serving of pasta with half of the clam sauce, 1 tablespoon cheese, and a sprinkling of chopped scallion.

I had some fresh garlic and some shallots that I brought from home and I substituted those for the onion and the bottled garlic (which I don't really like).  Keeping in mind that this recipe came from Health magazine, it is very low in fat.  I added more cheese, because as I've said before, you can never overdo it on the cheese.  I think it improves the flavor.  Besides, parmesan is a hard cheese, and low fat as far as cheeses go. 

I hope you'll try this.  I generally prefer to use fresh ingredients, and so canned clams might have been a turn off.  It's surprisingly good.  I served it with the last of the romaine lettuce we had on hand and one of the fresh avocados we bought by the side of the road a few days ago.  The avocado was so pretty and tasty compared to what is generally available to us in Oregon.  Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Yummy.... I love fresh avocado with any kind of food... or all alone with a salt shaker and a spoon !~!